“Great peppers stuffed with shrimp” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 114 restaurants in Indio
Cuisines: Mexican
Forest Hills, New York
“Great peppers stuffed with shrimp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Service is attentive and friendly. The food is fresh and delicious. Try the pepper stuffed with shrimp. It is served over a bed of salad. The margaritas are strong and delicious.

Visited April 2013
iHeartDates, Public Relations Manager at El Mexicali Cafe II, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for joining us and taking the time to write about your experience! We're really glad to hear that you were well taken care of and that you enjoyed our peppers stuffed with shrimp and our margaritas. Try our Happy Hour, every Monday to Thursday, 3 to 6pm - appetizers are buy one & get one 1/2 off. See you again soon!

71% Recommend
Indio, California
“Local go here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

GREAT Mexican food where the locals eat. Good prices and spicy food. Great salsa. Good service. Close to freeway entrance/exit.

Visited February 2013
La Quinta, California
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Went the first time and it was great. Went a second time and brought our son telling him how great this restaurant was. He asked for a spicy shrimp dish and it was not even slightly spicy. The waitress brought him some extra sauce which was gloppy and it wasn't spicy either. Overall the sauce was like canned tomato sauce with added, weak tabasco. I had the carne asada special which I had had previously and the meat was dried out and touch. My dish overall was highly over salted. The waitress forgot to bring the tortillas and they did not arrive until our meal was almost over. Had to struggle to get water. It was embarrassing to bring someone new there for a special dinner.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oak Park, California
“Baja traditional with a twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I went to the newest El Mexicali Cafe in La Quinta, on Washington St. across from the big Catholic church. I'd heard we had to try the stuffed peppers and they were so good! This time of year, they are kind of spicy but they are really interesting and GOOD! Stuffed with shrimp - lots of them! They are certainly different with the soy sauce and mayo! ;-) I also had ceviche and felt I'd actually eaten rather healthy food. My husband had carne adada tacos and they looked really yummy! The beans aren't what most of us are used to (very light in color and no lard) but my husband ate every morsel! NO bar, but they have beer and wine but some people had drinks that looked like margaritas so I suspect they make a wine version. I should have asked. It isn't fancy but it's cute - tricky to spot from the road but it's worth the hunt! Don't go on Sunday because they are closed - hey it's a family operation and they need one day of rest! The waitress was one of the daughters (great laugh!) and chatted with us quite a bit since it was after the normal lunch rush. We will definitely go back when we're here again and will tell our local friends! The family is from Mexicali so this is the real deal! I should probably give the "value" excellent but we both thought the prices were a wee bit high for lunch (it's the same menu for dinner). GO! Try it!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Indio, California
“GREAT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Like its sister location, El Mexicali II is just great. Some of the best Mexican food in the area. The peppers stuffed with shrimp are THE BEST. Also, I highly recommend the fish (broiled) tacos! Very nice staff and great location!

Visited December 2012