“Local go here” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 117 Restaurants in Indio
Cuisines: Mexican
“Local go here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

GREAT Mexican food where the locals eat. Good prices and spicy food. Great salsa. Good service. Close to freeway entrance/exit.

Visited February 2013

La Quinta, California
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Went the first time and it was great. Went a second time and brought our son telling him how great this restaurant was. He asked for a spicy shrimp dish and it was not even slightly spicy. The waitress brought him some extra sauce which was gloppy and it wasn't spicy either. Overall the sauce was like canned tomato sauce with added, weak tabasco. I had the carne asada special which I had had previously and the meat was dried out and touch. My dish overall was highly over salted. The waitress forgot to bring the tortillas and they did not arrive until our meal was almost over. Had to struggle to get water. It was embarrassing to bring someone new there for a special dinner.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oak Park, California
“Baja traditional with a twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I went to the newest El Mexicali Cafe in La Quinta, on Washington St. across from the big Catholic church. I'd heard we had to try the stuffed peppers and they were so good! This time of year, they are kind of spicy but they are really interesting and GOOD! Stuffed with shrimp - lots of them! They are certainly different with the soy sauce and mayo! ;-) I also had ceviche and felt I'd actually eaten rather healthy food. My husband had carne adada tacos and they looked really yummy! The beans aren't what most of us are used to (very light in color and no lard) but my husband ate every morsel! NO bar, but they have beer and wine but some people had drinks that looked like margaritas so I suspect they make a wine version. I should have asked. It isn't fancy but it's cute - tricky to spot from the road but it's worth the hunt! Don't go on Sunday because they are closed - hey it's a family operation and they need one day of rest! The waitress was one of the daughters (great laugh!) and chatted with us quite a bit since it was after the normal lunch rush. We will definitely go back when we're here again and will tell our local friends! The family is from Mexicali so this is the real deal! I should probably give the "value" excellent but we both thought the prices were a wee bit high for lunch (it's the same menu for dinner). GO! Try it!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“GREAT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Like its sister location, El Mexicali II is just great. Some of the best Mexican food in the area. The peppers stuffed with shrimp are THE BEST. Also, I highly recommend the fish (broiled) tacos! Very nice staff and great location!

Visited December 2012
Indio, California
“Breakfast on the Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We do not frequent this establishment that often but when we do the food and service are alway top notch. They have expanded their restaurant so they can accomodate more customers. Menu very good diverse. We have only had breakfast there and not dined here for dinner. We like it.

Visited November 2012