“Great Stay in Indian Wells!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
San Antonio
“Great Stay in Indian Wells!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Had a wonderful stay at the Renaissance Esmerelda in June. Although the temperature was its usual 103+ each day, the property was beautiful, green, with plenty of colorful flowers. The staff was friendly and attentive. Surprisingly to me, for a large hotel, the food both at the pool and during the conference I attended was very good. Played golf at one of the hotel courses, and it was in great shape despite being the middle of the summer. Everything was green, and the putting surfaces were great. The hotel and pool layout is typical of a Marriott type resort, horseshoe shaped hotel with pool directly out the back, but everything was well-maintained and the property and rooms were very clean. The hotel is conveniently located off Highway 111, and it is a short drive to Rancho Mirage and Palm Springs. Coming from the humidity of Texas, I found the heat to be no problem, because of the lack of humidity. I would recommend going Indian Wells, and staying at the Renaissance Esmerelda, even in the summer. A nice get away!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The staff at the hotel were very friendly for the most part and the pool area is excellent. The pools are large and well kept. There is a poolside bar but it didn't stay open long enough each day for me to enjoy it. The food options are limited so go elsewhere off-site if possible. The whole building felt like it needed an update. Everywhere I looked was beat up/stained carpets and old beat up furniture.

Really the only major issue I had was on my last day at the hotel. Checkout time is 11am. I got up early to start packing up the car and enjoy some breakfast. When I returned to my room around 9am to relax before my drive out, the housekeeping staff was in my room. I thought it was odd they were there so early but the housekeeper started arguing with me that I couldn't be in the room and that I needed to leave. She said I had already checked out and she had removed all my personal belongings. I've never been treated this way at any hotel. I got my handbag back but all the snacks and food I had purchased for my continuing trip were thrown in the garbage. When I pointed this out, the housekeeper gave me a dinky bottle of water and left. I was upset and complained to the front desk where I received a not so sincere apology. The woman at the front desk shrugged and said sometimes mistakes are made and offered a later check out time. Sorry, I wasn't going to entrust my belongings anywhere their staff had access to. What a horrible way to end the week. Instead of leaving the hotel relaxed, I ended my stay feeling annoyed and stressed.

Room Tip: Get a pool view room with a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
We appreciate your comments and apologize for the negative checkout experience. We are addressing the situation and assure you that it will be taken care of. We wanted to share with you that the resort is going through an exciting renovation and we hope you will be able to visit us again.
Temecula, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I brought my wife and 4 children and we were extremely pleased. The hotel was beautiful, the staff was very nice. My kids loved the candy at the front desk. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The only improvement would be that the tables and entertainment center were quite dusty. I felt that the price was very reasonable but it is offset with the resort fee of $27.50 with tax per day. We only stayed 1 night but will be returning soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I went to the Renaissance Esmeralda Hotel and Spa for our anniversary. We’ve stayed there before and we’re likely to return.
Check-in was handled quickly and efficiently, if somewhat robotically, by the clerk. We were quickly in our room. I’m not sure when this hotel was built, but the hallways and public areas could stand some sprucing-up. However, the room was clean, the bathroom was well-stocked with linens and the bed was comfortable. There was the now-standard flat-screen TV with a box that made it easy to hook up my laptop to watch a movie. The refrigerator in the room is only to be used with the mini-bar, so we stayed away. The chair at the desk was pretty uncomfortable if you sat in it more than a few minutes.
However, the point of the Esmeralda is not the rooms, but the pool area. There are actually a few pools in the main pool area; a couple are only 3 feet deep, while the main pool has a sandy beach at one end and is 5 feet deep in spots. There were plenty of deck chairs and the service from the waiters was reasonably good.
The dining was a mixed bag. There are two main restaurants (another smaller place offers sushi). Sirocco is a very nice Italian restaurant with great food and excellent service. Our waiter, Elliott, was very good about explaining the dishes and making sure we had a nice evening. Our food was well prepared and tasty. Be careful of the wine list though; the markup is very high here.
Cava is the main restaurant. We had breakfast there both mornings. You can order from a menu or go to the buffet, which is adequate but not spectacular. The lunch choices are kind of ho-hum; a few burgers and sandwiches. We did go to the prime rib buffet on Saturday night. It was just all right, but about what can be expected from a buffet. There were some nice desserts, however.
The service was very good throughout the resort. The waiters were friendly and efficient and the other members of the hotel staff we encountered were very helpful.
There is a $25 “resort fee,” which covers internet access, self-parking and a few other odds and ends. Of course it’s virtually pure profit for the hotel, but I suppose it’s to be expected at a property like this.
I’ve never stayed at this resort during the high season of winter, but there are some good rates to be had here in the summer. It’s worth the drive out to the desert.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Trabuco Canyon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Great resort, service, staff and amenities are all excellent. Rooms are clean and most have balconies to relax on. The pool is very nice and has pool service as well as waterfalls, beach, etc

Beautiful lobby and lounge area with shops and restaurants to visit.

Room Tip: Check out the steam room for your pleasure
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have done special events at this hotel for years and have worked closely with hotel staff. These folks are passionate about what they do. We were planning our family vacation at Rancho Las Palmas. After a headache at check in there, which happened the last time we booked there ... I made the call to the Ren. We got a better rate with a room upgrade. We ended up in a corner room, top floor, with a beautiful view.
Room was great! The whole property is very clean with a relaxed feel. All the food we had on property was excellent! The gym was also very nice and clean and staff was always in there checking on things.
We had a wonderful time and plan to go back real soon.
I own a special events company and get to see and work with a lot of hotels. This is one that has always stands out to me.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your kind words about our team which we are extremely proud of. We so look forward to the pleasure of your stay very soon.
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is a place where you can park the car and not move it again until you check out. The restaurants are good and there is a nice sushi bar in the lower lobby. The pool can get pretty crowded, the weekend we were there it had to be at full capacity, but it still worked. Perfect hotel for kids, as they have a fake beach on one of the pools, and they have activities for kids all day on Saturday and Sunday near the pool.

Rooms are relaxing and have a fresh feel to them, lobby is very impressive and the bar area has a good vibe to it - this is a solid higher end resort hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!