“Bring your hiking boots and earplugs!” 2 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
California
“Bring your hiking boots and earplugs!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2008

Stayed here on business. When you drive up to the property you will see several buildings. Trust me, have them put you in one of the buildings overlooking the golf course. If not, you will hear traffic non-stop from Hwy 111.

The first room I got was a "corner king". It was large enough, but you would need earplugs to get a wink of sleep. The room was on Hwy 111 and the noise was horrendous. Beware of these corner rooms, some are right next to stairs that are used by guests and staff who slam the door!

My second room overlooked the pool and was somewhat better.
I am due to stay there again in February and will not accept a room other than one that faces the golf course.

If you are a traveler with mobility issues, you need a room close the the elevators. There is one elevator bank and it is a long, maze-like walk to the elevators.

The rooms are clean and certainly, not luxurious. They are old, with an ugly old television and no wireless internet. You will need a cable to connect.

I was happy with all of the service from check-in to room service.

I am not really looking forward to staying here again. If I had a choice, I would pick the Hyatt Grand Champions located next door.

Stayed December 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

My family spent New Year's weekend at the Renaissance Esmeralda. We branched out from the Desert Springs Marriott due to the Esmeralda's location and price.

Trip Highlights:
1. A Real Concierge - The concierge looked past her go-to touristy restaurants to fulfill my request for a unique restaurant. She nailed it and we had a wonderful evening at Augusta.
2. The Lobby - The public areas of the hotel are first rate. Despite the wanna be W-ish blaring music at the entrance, the environment was relaxing in the lobby and beyond.
3. The Rooms - The rooms were perfectly adequate. I booked three rooms and all three were upgraded (Thanks Marriott Gold). The best of the bunch was a spacious corner room.

Hotel Issues:
1. Kiddie Pee Spas - The Esmeralda has two spas adjacent to the two ginormous pools. Both of the spas seemed to be reserved for children under ten. After squeezing my way into the spa that actually had a few adults in it, a mother escorted her four year old daughter into the spa. The mother smartly did not get into the spa, but watched as her daughter relive herself while sitting on the spa steps. I guess that explains why the water in both spas looked filthy. The hotel might consider reserving one of the two spas for adults.
2. Lobby Bar Service - Two of the three nights stayed at the hotel we tried to get drinks in the lobby. The service both nights was atrocious. If you go, be braced for the following wait times:
Beer - 15 minutes
Mixed drinks - 20 minutes
Snack Mix - 20 minutes
Tapas - greater than 30 minutes (we gave up and canceled the order)
3. BRIGHT Mornings - The plantation shutters do little to block out the bright morning sunlight.

Overall the stay went quite well. If the Desert Springs Marriott is sold out on our next trip, we'll gladly stay at its little brother, the Esmeralda.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Westlake Village, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

After all the glowing reviews, I guess I was expecting something truly special. This place is an "average" hotel with a pretty comfortable bed. The rooms are fairly spacious but they have very old small televisions, no wireless internet and a funky closet which opens to the room AND the bathroom. Internet is a "slow" high-speed connection wired through an iBahn box. They charge 9.95 per day.

The staff is very friendly and helpful but I must say I object to all the parking charges ($8 per visit or $22 overnight). The Spa is very nice. My wife had a superb masseuse. I do feel like I'm "groovin" in the 80's because of the building design.

And DO NOT touch the mini-bar or the snack basket. They say it's pressure sensitive, so anything touch you pay for. My wife threatened to overturn the basket to annoy me!

• Liked — Room Size
  • Disliked — TV and internet access
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

We booked a 4 day cheap break with Expedia here arriving on Christmas Eve. Reading the reviews here we worried we might get stung for an additional resort fee but that didn't happen. The place was very quiet but got busier as our trip went on. We had a good time here as the staff were friendly & facilities good. The hotel is a non-smoking place (my husband is a smoker) but it's possible to smoke on your balcony if you need a nicotine fix. There were some renovations underway but the only thing we knew of this was a notice informing us & we weren't disturbed in any way. We didn't eat here except for breakfast 1 day when the place was deserted.There was no Wi Fi but cables are provided to connect at a $10 per day fee. I would stay here again & would recommend it at this time of year for a quiet break.

• Liked — Mountain views
  • Disliked — Mini bar fridge which charges when you move things about even if you don't drink them!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
McLean VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

I had a lunch appointment at noon November 9th. I was out of my room for 2 hours. During this time, someone came into my room and stole my designer made 18k gold and topaz earrings. I reported this theft to hotel security and at first, they were very courteous. They told me that Marriott Corporation had insurance and would cover my loss. Now that I am back home, they have completely changed their decision and told me that they are denying coverage, even though we were able to identify the hotel employee who stole my earrings. This event completely ruined my trip. I stay in 5 star hotels and pay extra just so this kind of thing doesn't happen. I am shocked at the way Marriott Corporation is treating this theft- . Beware--I would never stay at this hotel again and plan to warn everyone I know that watch out-- personal belongings are NOT safe when you stay at a Marriott property.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Employee stole expensive item from my room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Surrey, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

In the 10 days we were there, all of the staff was very friendly and helpful. Housekeeping even left us a note to thank us for our daily tip placed under the pillow.There was shampoo, mouthwash, miosture cream,etc. in the room.
The consierge tried hard to help whenever asked.
There is a towel on each chaise as well as a large supply at the towel station and lots of chaises. Other than two days before Thanksgiving day, the towel boys managed to keep the place very neet. Then, there were some teen girl field ball teams staying there who used a lot of towels and didn't pick up after themeselves.
We stayed away from the sand beach where well behaved children were playing. A couple of east Indian children did scream a couple feet from my head. I reacted and told them to shut up. Their parents got very angry and called the management who spoke to us & them after which they all quieted down.
I would have liked more entertainment in this hotel or the Hilton next door other than piano and jazz.
Next time Maui,Hi!

• Liked — Friendlieness, clean, view , Large rooms & bath with double sinks
  • Disliked — lack of entertainment --- poor plumbing maintenance
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

Overall this is a pretty nice place. During my weekday stay the place was relatively empty. The room is nice, but really needs a paint job - I found scratches, knicks, and other missing paint everywhere, including on furniture. I also noticed letters or other embellishments partially missing from most of the signs on the hallway walls. For whatever reason I really expect things like this to be maintained in more full service establishments. The balcony is really very nice, though they could really improve things by adding some curtains - the light really comes through the shutters in the morning, waking you rather early. I also really liked that they had wine glasses and corkscrew in the room - this is something you often don't find at even more upscale places so that was a nice touch.

Sure enough even though the place was empty there were screaming kids at the pool. I don't know what it is about this place but it must make kids scream given what every one else has also reported! Fortunately the pool area is quite large and the next day I sat at another area where there were no kids and it was quite peaceful. I would imagine this might be difficult when the place is more populated.

I found the staff generally unfriendly, with the exception of the spa staff. I did have a great massage.

Easy parking, close to plenty of shopping centers and El Paseo. A bit of a drive to Palm Springs - if you're looking to spend most of your time there I would recommend staying in-town. Also your resort fee includes two bottles of water every day and free (wired) internet access - had I known I would have brought my laptop.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Lack of polish
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!