“Hang On to your Valuables!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
McLean VA
“Hang On to your Valuables!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

I had a lunch appointment at noon November 9th. I was out of my room for 2 hours. During this time, someone came into my room and stole my designer made 18k gold and topaz earrings. I reported this theft to hotel security and at first, they were very courteous. They told me that Marriott Corporation had insurance and would cover my loss. Now that I am back home, they have completely changed their decision and told me that they are denying coverage, even though we were able to identify the hotel employee who stole my earrings. This event completely ruined my trip. I stay in 5 star hotels and pay extra just so this kind of thing doesn't happen. I am shocked at the way Marriott Corporation is treating this theft- . Beware--I would never stay at this hotel again and plan to warn everyone I know that watch out-- personal belongings are NOT safe when you stay at a Marriott property.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Employee stole expensive item from my room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Surrey, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

In the 10 days we were there, all of the staff was very friendly and helpful. Housekeeping even left us a note to thank us for our daily tip placed under the pillow.There was shampoo, mouthwash, miosture cream,etc. in the room.
The consierge tried hard to help whenever asked.
There is a towel on each chaise as well as a large supply at the towel station and lots of chaises. Other than two days before Thanksgiving day, the towel boys managed to keep the place very neet. Then, there were some teen girl field ball teams staying there who used a lot of towels and didn't pick up after themeselves.
We stayed away from the sand beach where well behaved children were playing. A couple of east Indian children did scream a couple feet from my head. I reacted and told them to shut up. Their parents got very angry and called the management who spoke to us & them after which they all quieted down.
I would have liked more entertainment in this hotel or the Hilton next door other than piano and jazz.
Next time Maui,Hi!

• Liked — Friendlieness, clean, view , Large rooms & bath with double sinks
  • Disliked — lack of entertainment --- poor plumbing maintenance
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

Overall this is a pretty nice place. During my weekday stay the place was relatively empty. The room is nice, but really needs a paint job - I found scratches, knicks, and other missing paint everywhere, including on furniture. I also noticed letters or other embellishments partially missing from most of the signs on the hallway walls. For whatever reason I really expect things like this to be maintained in more full service establishments. The balcony is really very nice, though they could really improve things by adding some curtains - the light really comes through the shutters in the morning, waking you rather early. I also really liked that they had wine glasses and corkscrew in the room - this is something you often don't find at even more upscale places so that was a nice touch.

Sure enough even though the place was empty there were screaming kids at the pool. I don't know what it is about this place but it must make kids scream given what every one else has also reported! Fortunately the pool area is quite large and the next day I sat at another area where there were no kids and it was quite peaceful. I would imagine this might be difficult when the place is more populated.

I found the staff generally unfriendly, with the exception of the spa staff. I did have a great massage.

Easy parking, close to plenty of shopping centers and El Paseo. A bit of a drive to Palm Springs - if you're looking to spend most of your time there I would recommend staying in-town. Also your resort fee includes two bottles of water every day and free (wired) internet access - had I known I would have brought my laptop.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Lack of polish
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

My husband and infant daughter just returned from a stay at the Esmeralda. The Esmeralda is a solid 4 star property and very comfortable. Our room was very clean and nicely furnished. The bed a typical Marriott bed - very comfortable. A baby bed was waiting for us in the room when arrived and they brought a refrigerator as well, as you cannot use the mini bar to cool your own drinks - it has an automatic sensor and you will be charged. The refrigerator did NOT work. We needed to keep the baby's milk cold, so my husband just told them we were going to use the mini bar refrig. and not to charge us. This seemed to work.

Our room location was not the best. We had a view of a golf course and the mountains, which was nice. The problem was the noise level. There was a convention going on and we could hear loud music and the elevator into the wee morning hours. It didn't bother me that much, but if one was a light sleeper, I would suggest they stay away from the conference rooms and elevators that are used in the evenings.

We enjoyed our time at the pool, although the water was a bit cold. Apparently one of the heaters was broken. Our daughter could only stay in the water a short time before her lips turned blue. The pool is large, but shallow - maybe 4 ft at the very deepest. The Esmeralda is definitely a family resort - many, many children at the pool. They have a sandy beach area for kids and a 1 foot deep pool that our daughter loved. When we were there, it wasn't too crowded, so we found lounge chairs without a problem. We didn't try to food at the pool, but the prices didn't seem too outrageous considering it is a resort. This is a FAMILY resort and NOT a fun place for singles, or those looking for a relaxing, adult experience. Since I have a family now, it is nice to find a place that caters to families, where folks with small children feel welcome.

We ate at CAVA for dinner. We had the buffet, which I think was a fairly good deal. $24 per person, including beverage and dessert. The food wasn't top notch, but enjoyable. They had prime rib, fish, chicken, salads, pasta, a cheese bar, rice, potatoes, chocolate fruit bar, and desserts.

The pool dominates the landscaping and I didn't really notice any other private areas to relax or walk. The landscaping/hardscaping is not overly impressive and the pool area seems slightly dated.

I would stay here again. I might also try the MiraMonte or Hyatt - they are literally next door - depending on price. If the was an outstanding deal at one of these other properties, it might be worth trying. If you are looking for a fun time at the pool with the kids, you should find it at the Esmeralda.

• Liked — Comfortable bed, 1 ft pool
  • Disliked — Noisy room location, cold pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orange, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

All of the concerns presented below were raised in an e-mail message sent to Bob Walsh, the Renaissance Esmeralda general manager, on October 1, 2007 before I checked out. As of October 5, he has not even acknowledged receipt of that e-mail message. It appears to me that the service failures at Esmeralda described below reflect the inattention of its management AND its staff.

My first stay at the Renaissance Esmeralda will be my last. Arriving the afternoon of Sept. 30, the resort’s valets and bellmen seemed less than interested in helping me with my car or my luggage. After asking three different valets for help, over the course of 15 minutes in the mid-day desert heat, I finally gave up and obtained one of the hotel’s luggage carts to haul my own bags up to the lobby. Nothing gets the attention of bellmen like a guest having the audacity to use one of their luggage carts. Only then did I attract the help I desired.

After checking into my room, I made the mistaken assumption that the hotel’s refrigerators would actually keep my food and drinks cold. Five hours after loading the refrigerator its contents were actually warmer than room temperature! Naturally, I requested a replacement. Three hours later the employee who visited my room determined it was working just fine and left a voicemail message indicating that no corrective action was required. Ten hours after checking in the contents of the refrigerator were still warmer than room temperature. Essentially, the employees ignored my request for a replacement refrigerator. Did they think I called for a replacement just to make work for them? If you think about it, their actions basically implied that I lied about the need for a replacement. Disregarding my simple request for a replacement refrigerator, made in response to a specific problem, really falls short of the service expected at resort like the Esmeralda.

The hotel’s answer to my telephoned complaint that night was polite in light of my displeasure: “Can we buy you breakfast?” While generous, my $700 conference fee paid for breakfast. (I realize that the hotel does not control that fee, however at least a portion of that amount pays for the conference rooms and meals.) At this point even a room discount would not provide much relief since my firm paid for the room charges. Nearly twenty-four hours after reporting the refrigerator problem the hotel sent up a cheese and cracker amenity and generic apology note, which I assume were good will gestures for this problem. Since my dietary needs would not have allowed me to partake I politely refused the cheese and crackers; good food should never be wasted.

My service experiences continued on October 1, as I tried to book a spa appointment. My first three phone calls to the spa over a 15 minute span of time rolled to voicemail. Since I couldn’t book an appointment while I’m attending a conference session, I refrained from leaving a message. On my next attempt after lunch, the hotel operator connected me to a hotel employee who spoke limited English. Once I reached a person working at the spa, I inquired about booking a 50 minute massage appointment. After being immediately placed on hold, I finally hung up after several minutes. I was clearly forgotten about.

Although the resort otherwise appears to merit a four-star rating and charge four star rates, my service experience at the Esmeralda merited three stars or less. The resort is beautiful and clearly its housekeepers work very hard to keep it and my room clean; it’s a shame that the other services expected of a luxury resort were so lacking.

• Liked — Cleanliness; the resort and my room were spotless. Housekeeping did its job!
  • Disliked — Bell service, Spa service and responsiveness to mechanical issues.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

We stayed at the Renaissance for a business conference for 4 nights (Saturday, 9/22/07 thru Wednesday, 9/26/07). From the minute you drive down the entrance road towards the front of the resort you know that you will be staying at "classy" resort. The bell-hop and front-desk service was great. We were able to check in quickly. If you want the valet service to park your car be prepared to pay $22 a night. There is free parking just a few feet past the valet parking spots so save your money and enjoy the walk by the large fountain. Our room was on the 6th floor overlooking the pool. The view is great from the balcony. The only negative was if you left the sliding door open you could hear the music and rushing water from below (which became annoying after awhile). The room was very clean, the king sise bed was super comfortable and the maid service did their job efficiently. My wife enjoyed the pool every day. At this time of year (with the kids in school) lounge chairs are plentiful. Try to sit by "falling water" because it is a secluded area away from the main pool, it is close to the hot tubs and you get a nice cool breeze coming off of the falling water. The service at the pool was excellent and the food/drinks are very good (pricey, but good). The conference center is located in the rear of the resort, a short walk from the main hotel (past the pool area). The meals served at the conference center are just okay. Room service (breakfast) was prompt and the food was hot and very good. The only reason we will not rate our overall experience as "excellent" is because of the horrific service we experienced Sunday night at the two restaurant hotels. We went to the Sirocco restaurant at 7:00 p.m. and even though our waiter had only three table to wait on in his section it was more than 20 minutes before he came to take our drink order. After 40 minutes we still did had not received our drinks and he had not come back to take our food order. We decided to leave and try the other resort restaurant but found out the service was no better. After sitting at this restaurant for 45 minutes (at least we got our drink order after 10 minutes) our waiter never came back to take our food order so we decided that it was time to take our business elsewhere (off-site). What we found out (and had read in other reviews but hoped wasn't true) is "if the resort is slow then the service will be just as slow". The manager of the second restaurant offered to "comp" us room service but after a 1 1/2 hours of sitting waiting for food we didn't think it was worth it to stick around. For the next three evenings we ate dinner outside the resort and had no problems with getting top-notch service. The resort lost over $400 of restaurant busines from us because of their poor service that Sunday evening. We ate at LG's Steakhouse in La Quinta two nights (it is expensive but the service and food was excellent) and we ate one night at Don Diego's (try the filet mignon fajita's, they are excellent!). Overall, the resort more than met our expectations and we would stay there again because it is a very nice place! (We will eat off-site though!)

• Liked — Pool area, comfortable beds, clean rooms, location
  • Disliked — Service in restaurant
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I was a bit afraid to go to this hotel after I had read some of the reviews. Yes, we did witness and have some of the things happen to us as others have...we had a pretty good stay.

Let's talk the negatives first....KIDS....Yes they are there...They had to close down a part of the pool one afternoon. Being curious I asked our server and she smiled and said it was closed due to "Code Brown"....I got the drift and the movie Caddyshack ran through my head!!!

We spend most of our time on the chaises in the grassy area off the sandy beach. Had it all to ourselves....Few kids at the sandy beach but the ones that were there found it necessary to fill their buckets & toys up with sand and dump it in the pool. The staff in blue shirts never stopped the kids....A mother who wasn't paying attention to her children...which there were quite a few of these types finally turned around and saw her youngest screaming because he had walked on the patio around the pool which was blazing hot. Another couple ran to the kids rescue and she just wondered over afer she put some shoes on. It was really sad when then another one of her kids decided to pull the stroller into the pool. I saw it and pulled the stroller out. The mom thought the stroller in the pool was a cute Idea so she decided to give the kids rides in the stroller in the pool....Nice huh...and no one from the hotel staff asked her to stop.

The pool was over chorinated...but I think I know why....Drink service and food service around the pool was terrible....These people don't understand customer service and how to hustle...Believe me we are big tipper when service warrants it and they could have made some nice money off of us that week...but know one seemed to want to make money...

Our room was upgraded due to our Platinum status to a corner room overlooking the pool on the 7th floor...with a nice balcony with a table and chairs. We had a mini frig which we stocked after going to the grocery store....frig was free of charge due again to our Platinum status. The Marriott bedding is great and very comfortable...but the air conditioning never worked correctly...but it was 111 to 116 degrees while we were there. Our room was very clean and believe me we are picky...and check it out everywhere...Our housekeeper left us extra towels each day after we left her a note....that was a nice touch!!!

We ate breakfast every morning at CAVA and had the breakfast buffet. Fresh fruit, omlets made to order, fresh cold smoothies delivered to our table while we were at the buffet, smoked salmon, capers and cream cheese and lots of other goodies. But don't eat outside the birds will ruin your breakfast..we learned on the first day...

We ate at Sirocco's for dinner one evening and had a wonderful meal. Service was great, suggestions were excellent and the food was exceptional including the fresh shaved fennel salad.

Room service was very efficient and our food selections were plentiful and warm.

All in all we did like the hotel except for the pool and kids which could have been regulated by the staff. Perhaps a section of the pool for adults only would be something to consider....I spoke to alot of people without children who were agitated like I was. The hotel should make light of the fact that it is very kid friendly and perhaps people such as myself with no children would be more inclined to book elsewhere...because it is so hot the majority of our time was spent cooling down in the pool....We would have had a better time without certain little people and their parents who could have cared less.

Both of the golf courses were closed for remodeling while we were there...but frankly it was too hot to golf!!!

Park your own car..it's not a far walk....and be prepared to open the doors to the hotel yourself...many times there was no one around as we were coming and going...

If traveling to the Palm Springs area again...we would most likely stay elsewhere since the pool was a big draw to us....But all in all it was a decent stay...

• Liked — Good restaurants
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!