“Labor Day weekend, 2010 Family with a 14 and a 3 year old...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
“Labor Day weekend, 2010 Family with a 14 and a 3 year old...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We had a blast! The 7 pools were perfect to escape the 110 heat! Actually, we never really felt hot, since we were planning on being in our bathing suits all day.

Our room was perfect, a king and a queen couch bed. Flat screen, dvd player, fridge, tub & shower. Clean and just what we needed to escape reality for a long weekend. It was crowded, but we expected that for Labor Day weekend.

The plusses:
-Location. We usually stay at the Renaissance Esmeralda, which in my opinion is a better hotel, and has better/cheaper food. But this was nice, none the less. Out of the hustle and bustle of downtown.
-I really liked the pool situation at the Hyatt, though. Since there were so many to choose from (1 adult pool with swim up bar, 2 tot pools, a jacuzzi, waterslide/landing pool, and 2 main pools (one cooler than the other - VERY SMART INDEED), there were always available lounge chairs. Again, remember this was Labor Day weekend.
-The waterslide, cheap flotation devices for sale, lots of activities by the pool for guests, free popsicles for the kids, free water/ice stations everywhere, etc...
-The service was pleasant, and prompt (brought us a DVD player, extra comforter and bed rails within 10 mins of requesting them).
-The room was quiet, clean and the bed was awesome! The air conditioner worked perfectly, and the water pressure was great.
-Early check in (noon), and late check out (1:30pm) on a holiday weekend. Nice!
-They had complimentary mountain bikes to bike the many paths on the property. Lots of kids were doing this.

The minuses:
-Fees: I'd read about the extra fees: "hotel fee" of $23/night, in addition to the $10 self park fee per night. I didn't expect the random $2.30 tax each day, nor did ever fully understand what it was for. So the great price I got was actually $35 higher per night. I would have stayed at Renaissance Esmeralda had I really thought about it, but I also wanted to try something new, and the waterslide was a seller for entertaining my my 14 year old daughter.
-Dining (mediocre and expensive) Lentana restaurant. Limited menu, very overpriced. Said that it was 4 star dining. I give it 2. 2 adult dinners, 2 glasses of wine, and 1 kids meal came to $120.00. Slow service. Room service (breakfast): crab cake benedict (just ok for $25), eggs over medium (overcooked), kids pancakes, and kids scrambled eggs, a side of bacon and OJ's all around came to $100! Should have taken the drive to IHOP 2 miles away. It would have tasted better and cost around $40 tops!
We learned our lesson fast, and went to the store for sandwich fixins and snacks! We also went to our favorite local place (Fisherman's Market & Grill in La Quinta). Next time we'll dine in town both nights. We've been wanting to try LG's or the Chop House anyways.
-Cabana rental: I rented a cabana for the full-day on Sunday as it was Labor Day weekend for $50. It was a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY! The tent was HOT, and too far away from the pool to enjoy. There was no breeze, and it seemed a little ridiculous to have a TV at the pool anyways. I was mainly worried about space and too much sun/heat. But as it turned out we didn't even use it since we found pool front seats with umbrellas and a breeze! Live and learn.

Overall, this is a very family friendly hotel. Also, it's great for couples, as they have their own pool to escape the kids!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 3 days over Labor Day weekend. We arrived at 11 AM on Saturday and a room was ready for us and we were very happy to be able to check in early. We had booked the room through Priceline and were given a King Suite on the 3rd floor that overlooked the pool.

The room was very spacious. It had a step-down family room-type area with a desk below the bed and dresser area. The flat screen TV was between both areas with a swivel base that could angle to either area. There was no HD on the TV and reception was rather poor - static and blur issues but not that big a deal. The bathroom was also very large. There was a patio area but since it was around 112 degrees outside we didn't spend any time out there.

There are 7 pools, most of them great for families. They were packed the entire time we were there. There is also an adult pool where we spent our time. The water was a bit murky but felt great since it was so hot outside. There was also a rather large hot tub.

The bed was very comfortable and the AC kept the room nice and cool. It was a great break on a holiday weekend and we had a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

The resort pools were great for my 6 year old, with a kiddie pool and water slide. On Saturday night there was a pool-side, under the stars screening of a kid's movie (like on some cruise ships). A separate adults-only pool with bar and lounge chair cushions is available to escape the kids. The hotel has a resort-feel with palm trees and nice landscaping. The staff was exceptionally friendly. The room was good sized (about 650 sq. ft.) with marbled bath, and a sliding door to the outside patio/balcony. The hotel is next to the Renaisance Esmeralda, and the Miramonte is across the highway. The only downside are the added costs heaped on top of your room rate. The hotel charges a $25 per-night "resort fee" and a $10 self-parking fee. And since there's no dining within walking distance you must either eat at the hotel (and pay through the nose) or drive elsewhere. There is renovation work being done, but it was not intrusive. Despite the downsides, however, I would return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Winnetka, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We came to this hotel for a little rest and relaxation and we had a great time! We were able to view the fireworks from the jacuzzi on the 4th of July and that just topped off our great weekend! Great location and the adult pool was great! Cabana service was a MUST HAVE for the heat, but we rented a half day only and got a GREAT DEAL! We weren't so impressed with the food, but luckily the Renaissance next door had great food and we were within driving distance from about thirty other restaurant chains. Service was great, beds were comfortable, bathroom was immaculate, all in all everything we were looking for!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

i stayed here this past weekend for 3 days with my wife and we don't have children. we stayed at miramonte before and loved it because of the rooms and quiet surroundings.
the hyatt has older rooms and is much more aimed towards families (waterslides, day camps, movies in the pool, etc)

pros:
friendly staff
adults only pool
saved about 40% a night by using a bidding site
indian wells golf course is right there, great course and great staff, highly recommended

cons:
dated rooms
tvs don't have HD
pay parking and a small parking lot, if it's full you have to pay for valet
lots of commotion from grounds maintenance and kids/families

with kids: hyatt grand champion
without kids: miramonte

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I was booked to stay here, but after I learned of the $25+ daily resort fee, I started to question it. I called the front desk twice and also spoke to a manager to figure out what I'm getting for a $25/day resort fee. They told me (as if they all memorized it as part of their training) that is covers use of the pools, WiFi, free calls, fitness center, etc. That's fine, but I'm a Diamond member with Hyatt's Gold Passport program and those are free anyway. When I pointed this out, they immediately tried to spin that they would comp my parking and upgrade my room. That's nice, but I don't pay $25 to park in a car in the desert (sure in NYC...but not in the desert) and the upgraded room is standard anyway. I asked several times why Diamond members pay this fee when all the features are supposed to be complimentary to Diamond members...but they just kept repeating the benefits..free room...upgraded parking, blah, blah, blah. It sounds like I'm not the first person to question the resort fee based on their response and the feedback on TripAdvisor.

Based on their lack of interest in trying to keep a customer...a Diamond customer even...I opted to book elsewhere. I wasn't asking for much, but I was asking to not pay for something I get gratis anyway as a reward for my loyalty to Hyatt.

They Hyatt Regency Suites in Palm Springs has a resort fee, but they waive it for Platinum and Diamond members. Grand Champions...you could learn something from your sister property up the road.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We went to the hotel 1 year and a half ago. The parking was free, the spa was free, now it not.

Before was fine to pay $25 dollars for the resot fee, now you are paying the resort fee for use the pool and the gym, this is ridiculous.

Where you can find a hotel that charge you for a pool and a gym?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!