“Mixed Bag of Service” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seal Beach, California
“Mixed Bag of Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Each year my family and I take a summer vacation. Having returned from a five year work contract in Hawaii, we decided to enjoy a local vacation near our home in Orange County, California. We considered Las Vegas but finally decided to return to Coachella Valley due to the peacefulness and short drive. Our top three picks were Rancho Las Palmas, the Esmeralda, the Westin, and the Hyatt Regency. I first booked at Rancho Las Palmas but was ultimately deterred by the pool height requirements, which would prevent one of my small kids from using the lazy river pool area. Thus, we wanted a resort that was kid-friendly (despite height requirements) but also had an elegant look and luxurious feel for the parents. After reviewing reports about service level and property amenities, we settled on the Hyatt.

I booked this stay on Hyatt's website, which was easy to navigate. I opted for a pool view room with breakfast for two, plus a 6 pm checkout using the AAA rate, which provided a slight discount versus doing this on an a la carte basis without the AAA rate. We had previously stayed at the Esmeralda Resort several years back, which is opposite the Hyatt but uses the same entry road, but wanted to try a nicer pool complex consisting of seven separate free form pools versus a few large rectangular pools at the Esmeralda.

When we arrived at around 5:30 pm on a Friday afternoon, the self-parking lot was full but we were told that we would get to use the valet parking with the valet rate for the same as the self-parking rate, which was very fair. This lower rate applied during our entire three night stay. The car attendant was very welcoming and a prelude to what I hoped would be a very memorable stay.

Check-in brought about the first service issue as the two double beds with pool view, as confirmed by my reservation, was unavailable. What was available at the time of our check-in was an accessible room or a king bed with a pullout sofa bed. With kids in tow, we opted for the king bed with sofa pullout, and was granted a slight discount on our room due to the inconvenience factor.

Upon entering the room, we found a nice room, relatively spacious room with small balcony facing the ponds to the left and the pool complex to the right with a direct view of a maintenance area connected to the pool restaurant. The bathroom was spacious with a tub and a shower, a single sink with plenty of counter space, and an exhaust fan that works almost too well. The bath and toiletry products were a high quality brand with a very pleasant, neutral aroma that works well for men and women. Towels were sufficient for two people but inadequate for three or four people.

The second snag was an air conditioning system that would not stay on cool, but rather, cycled on and off (mostly off), meaning the room never cooled down. The room was far from being comfortable enough to relax comfortably in the desert heat. A call to maintenance around 10 pm after we arrived at the room kept the technician busy until after 11:00 pm, who by the way, was very polite and cognizant of being in our room so late at night. The office management provided a free movie credit for our air conditioning problem.

The hotel complex is expansive but beautiful, and designed to provide a sense of intimacy through the availability of seven separate and distinct pools, two hot tubs, and winding paths lined with an extensive collection of various palm and shade trees. It's size was clearly more relaxing than some of the mega-resorts of Las Vegas. While we stayed on the family side of the resort with its six pools (including a small but fun water slide for the kids), the adult side was nicely appointed with padded lounge chairs, its own hot tub, towels that seemed to be of higher quality, water cups that were clear plastic (versus paper on the family side of the resort), and an outdoor bar. The adult pool complex was situated closer to the villa rooms and away from the family pool; a rather quiet retreat for those adults seeking a quiet, adult-themed retreat.

The food was very good. We ate by the pool during the day, and enjoyed the burgers, bowl of fries, and the spa fruit plate. Not cheap by any means, but I thought the value and convenience was fair compared to other resorts we have frequented. We ate breakfast in the Lantana Restaurant. I felt the best value was the breakfast buffet (it was included in our rate), but the a la carte items were slightly pricier than what I have paid elsewhere. The buffet was sufficient with an egg station. My wife raved about the Greek yogurt, and I liked the freshness of the croissants. For a la carte breakfast items, the quality of the food was above average but the portions were average in size. The kids menu was fairly priced, and the pancakes seemed to be enjoyed quite a bit by my children. The restaurant servers in this restaurant were outstanding and helpful. We did not eat dinner at the resort except the first night when we used room service for the convenience factor. Room service was priced accordingly for a resort hotel property.

The car attendants were very responsive, and our vehicle was brought to us within two to three minutes of handing in our car ticket. The attendants also offered us bottles of water each time we departed and directions if needed.

The pools were fantastic, and we liked the free form pools and the number available to guests over the nearby Esmeralda. The cold water pool was very welcomed in the heat of the daytime temperatures, and we went between this pool and the warmer pool quite frequently due to proximity. The water slide pool was a short one minute walk from the main complex of family pools, and can keep the younger ones occupied with excitement for hours. There is a pool attendant monitoring the slide at all times. The pool water is not crystal clear, but this is common in resorts where all kinds of sunblock and other unmentionables end up in the pool, making for a murky soup of sorts. I have encountered this at the pools in Las Vegas as well. Kids don't mind the quality of the water but adults might. The adult pool seemed to be rather sparkling clean compared to the family pools.

We did not utilize the spa service nor the Camp Hyatt for the kids; I don't know if this service was available as it was not offered to us at check-in nor did I see any kids in the camp "room" except the first night we arrived. There are children's activities available throughout the day, and on certain nights, a pool-side movie for the kids while they wade in the pool. This was wonderful.

The third mishap occurred on our final hours at the hotel. We had been confirmed for a 6:00 pm check out at an additional charge, and this availability was confirmed and accepted upon our check-in to the resort. Sometime after 4:00 pm on our final day, our keys went inoperative. When we returned to our room at around 4:30 pm to clean up and check out, the keys would not open the door. I had to walk back to the front desk (at quite a distance due to the resort size) and get new keys made. The fact that the hotel offers this extra-cost service, which I'm sure is in their hotel computer system, but disables the key before the agreed upon check-out time is inexcusable, especially when I have cold, wet family members waiting outside the room in an air conditioned hallway. It seems that there is some disconnect between the hotel reservation system and the timing of the key inoperability. The front desk attendant who issued new keys was very helpful and apologetic, but seemed confused by the fact that this was not readily noted in our reservation details. My guess is that the late check-out was set for 4:00 pm in their computer system.

Once we were able to get into the room, we cleared out our belongings and called for bell assistance. The bell attendant arrived about 20 minutes later, which was acceptable and expected. The only other observation I had was that there were some charges on the bill that should have been adjusted prior to check-out, like the discounted parking rate for valet, the free movie due to the air conditioning problem, and another small discount promised to us, which I did not find removed from the bill until I got home.

No reflection on this hotel, but such bills are hard to review when there are so many charges and adjustments from a several day's stay, that trying to recall everything with accuracy is challenging at best. It's one of the anxiety points at the very end of any vacation that sometimes ends up being one of the last unmemorable experiences to an otherwise memorable resort vacation.

The delivery of the luggage to our waiting vehicle and the fond goodbyes of staff were such that we do have wonderful memories of this Hyatt Regency Resort. Despite the problems we encountered on this stay, I would return here if a favorable summer rate were offered. I would hope that the Hyatt can work out some of the kinks that I cited in this report to make for a seamless and perfect stay at one of the most beautiful desert resorts that I have had the pleasure to have enjoyed.

Room Tip: Having a pool view room is well-worth the small additional cost.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Booked a weekend trip through Expedia and it was cut short due to a seasonal fire which took 4days to contained. Hyatt is one of four hotels on the same Lane as you drive up the resort. The grounds are well kept, and the main lobby and some surrounding walkways are updated. We got a room on the 4th floor, facing the pool. The rooms are spacious than most deluxe hotel rooms, however, it could use a makeover. The furnitures and bathroom looked the same as it did 10yrs ago. Our kids loved the pool area. There's a water slide for kids and even an adult only pool near the resort spa. There's also onsite camp for kids, which is a great option. The fitness room is nice and bright, good size with updated equipments. Onward to dining...not much there. We had dinner at the main restaurant next to the lobby and as other reviewers pointed out, it's overpriced. Services were nice all around. Our trip was cut short but we will likely return and hopefully stay a
little longer the next.

Room Tip: Higher floors with view of the pools or mountains.
Manteca, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went here on a family trip which was 7 adults and 2 children. While us adults enjoyed drinks ( not too pricey) and a relaxing environment the children had a blast trying out all the different pools for them to choose from. The pool with the slide was a nice touch. Customer service throughout the whole resort was truly 5 star. The pool waiters even remembered our name from when they served us at breakfast.

Only downer was that they only had one resturant open, the other bar/resturant was under renovations. And "Camp Hyatt" which is supposed to be a day camp for children is not operating yet as it is advertised on the website.

The spa was gorgeous and the pricing was not too bad. My husband also enjoyed the 'Manly' pedi they served with a local brewery beer.

Room Tip: Rooms on the poolside were not loud like other reviews stated. The pools close at 10pm and it is ver...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We have been going to this property for many years. We stayed many times under my maiden name before we finally switched up and got our own Gold Passport account.
This property has done what seems so hard to do in the desert area. They have customer service! People who actually care about your stay, and how you are treated on the property.
Staff is attentive and helpful. Some rooms are a bit newer than others, but in general things are VERY clean. Adult pool area is so nice. Kid pool area makes them so happy with the slide.
We will be heading back very soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is a very nice Hyatt, Nice pool area, great atmosphere conducive for family fun & relaxation, plenty of chairs, VG pool side service..2 young guys Tyler & Jesus both were so polite, professional & fast! Beautiful room..everything was spotless. V comfortable beds, Room service was fast & food was on the money. EVERY employee in this hotel from the valet guys out front...to EVERYONE inside including housekeeping were so professional, friendly & polite. Obviously this hotel hand picks the cream of the crop & trains them well. Thank you to Elizabeth at front desk who was so was very helpful & pleasant to deal with.. & Jim at front desk also very helpful & was always full of good cheer. We’ll be back!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

First I would like to start by saying I come to the Palm Springs, Indian Wells, and Palm Desert area every year around this time for a golf tournament. Over the years I have had the pleasure of staying at some very nice properties. This year was no exception. I had visited this resort in past years when it was the Hyatt Grand Champions and not only did Hyatt make a great choice in name change to the Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa; they are heading in the right direction with the service and staff changes as well.

The last time I was here the lobby was under construction, the lobby bar was only open certain hours in the early evening and in general the property seemed to be unorganized. What a difference a couple of years make. We were met, as many have commented, as soon as we drove up by the valet staff. After a friendly greeting we were off to the lobby and this year the check-in was a breeze. Ericka, I apologize if I misspelled your name, at the front desk made our check-in almost an adventure letting us pick from several options of where our room could be located and educated us as to what our surroundings and amenities would be. Her conversation was friendly and her professionalism exceptional.

We chose to use self parking as I would be needing access to my car more frequently than some who may stay at a resort property. It was ten dollars a night, but that was waived for the tournament players/guests. The parking lot does have an attendant but gets full fast in the very early evening with the overflow going back to the valet. Resort properties can be very spread out so this can eat into your time going back to park your vehicle if there is no space. This time of the year the desert can be very hot, well above 100 degrees, so that is something to also keep in mind.

Our room was very well laid out with what would be expected in a modest resort room. We had a sitting area with couch and sofa table, a small balcony outside, desk area and a fairly large bath area with separate tub and shower. We did have some a/c issues in that it was sensor controlled. At night when you were sleeping the a/c would not detect any movement and therefore shut off. For those of us who prefer a cool/cold room to sleep in it is a problem. There is a way around it and an easy fix for the seasoned traveler, however a quick call to maintenance can get you that info most of the time. In general the room was what I expected and met almost all expectations. Note: there is an additional fee for internet usage. I did not access it so I do not know the fee.

The resort has several pools. The main pool hosts everyone, but families with children seem to occupy this area for the most part. There is a small water slide, large hot tub area, a lap swim area and a nice place for lunch. There is also a smaller adults only pool about 100 hundred feet from the main pool area which is a little more secluded and quieter. It has a bar with several staff servers bringing the guests their refreshments and food. There are several nice cabanas as well if you choose to purchase them and a smaller but adequate hot tub area. The adult pool also backs up to the villas which are room options and can be explained at check-in.

As I close this review I have to mention the front desk manager, Andrew. From the moment I was introduced to him his hospitality and helpful ideas on behalf of the Hyatt brand are and will continue to be what leads this resort property in the right direction. We stayed at this property for five days and overall it was a wonderful place to relax, play, and rest from life’s busy schedule. Once again my thanks to the staff for their hard work to make my stay a very memorable one; I am lucky I could be a part of it.

Room Tip: The villas are nice but a little further walk if you choose. The hotel does provide golf cart transp...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ServiceManager44600, Manager at Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear BH-
Thank you so much for your praise of Erica's and Andrew's service skills! They are surely two of our shining stars and I will share the well-deserved accolades with them. We appreciate your notice of our many changes and upgrades over the past few yesrs and that you have truly discovered our many secrets to relax, play and indulge in Indian Wells. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Huge room. Beautiful views. Design of lobby and common areas very modern and attractive. Room itself was in good condition, though the furniture itself looks a little dated and isn't as stylish as the furniture in common areas. Adults-only pool got very crowded, but we managed to get a couple of good chairs because we were there before noon (after noon on a weekend it might be tough to get a place at the adult pool). Staff was friendly, attentive and very helpful. It reminded me of some of the properties at or around Disneyworld, not exactly the trendiest place, but well-run, attractive and very pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!