“Very good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Nice Resort. We arrived at 12:30 and they told us check in was at four but they would call us when our room was ready. They phoned 15 minutes later and our room was ready we were very happy about this. Room was very nice and big. The food was very nice. Our only glitch was we went for breakfast and they said there was a 20 min wait to sit outside and yet there was tables outside in a different area but this was not a big deal. Would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011
ServiceManager44600, Manager at Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Thank you, Northalta, for sharing your review of Hyatt Gand Champions resort. I am so glad we were able to get you into your room with only a brief wait so you could get started on soaking up some sunshine! Outdoor dining is in high demand with perfect weather at this time of year, so thanks for your patience while a table became available. An option for next time may be to purchase bakery items or a breakfast burrito to go at our Deli, with your favorite coffee drink, and just sit outside at the Agave Sunset terrace and enjoy the morning in a casual setting. Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt for a conference, which unfortunately coincided with the Coachella Music Festival. Despite the crowds in the area and at the hotel because of the festival, the staff maintained a high level of service and the rooms and amenities were excellent. The rate for the conference packaged in parking and the resort fee so I didn't have to deal with those issues but I would agree that they are annoying. I enjoyed two days at the spa, where I used the steam, jacuzzi, and other facilities for just $20, which was less than I had paid at other resorts. Use of the fitness center is free if you don't use the locker room and other spa facilities. A few of my colleagues had massages (for a separate charge) and they were impressed.
My room was quite large and had a step-down sitting area with couch, chair, coffee table and desk. I was happy that the hotel provided an empty refrigerator in addition to the stocked mini-bar. My only complaint about the room was the noisy A/C. However, since the weather was comfortable at night, I was able to just open the slider and turn off the A/C.
All in all I was quite satisfied.

Room Tip: Be specific about the view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
ServiceManager44600, Manager at Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2011
What an exciting, if unexpected, time to be in the Desert- the height of Spring Break and the music festival and a conference going on at the same time! Thank you so much for your kind words about the resort and your experience. I am am glad to hear you found the rooms spacious and facilities well appointed. The spa facility pass is a hidden treat for added and well -deserved relaxation. You're not far away LSCats, so I hope you will ahve the opportunity to visit us again soon for some fun in the sun.
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

When Priceline landed us at the Hyatt Grand Champions for just over $100 a night, I guess I wasn't sure what to expect. Reading some of the reviews I worried a little about the 'dated' rooms that people have mentioned, etc. But even though we consider ourselves to be a little hotel snobby, the Grand Champions was really immaculate and exceeded our expectations greatly.
As a reviewer had suggested, I 'liked' the resort on Facebook as soon as we made the reservation, and upon check-in I received a nice card from the marketing manager and some coupons for a free appetizer at the awesome bar/lounge and for their restaurant as well. The room wasn't quite ready when we arrived at 1 pm, so we stored our bags and went out to the pool area and had a drink at the pool bar while we waited. The only complaint here is I was a little shocked that they allow smoking in the pool area-- I really thought that all of the big US chains like Hyatt had gone 100% smoke free-- I'm just so sensitive to that cigarette smell since you never see it these days, so it was a little offensive to have it in the pool area. Nonetheless, we had a great daquiri and got some sun and around 2 pm, they called my cell to inform us the room was ready.
The room itself was on the ground floor with a scenic view of the parking lot from our little veranda, but hey, we got it cheap on Priceline and can't expect the Presidential Suite. The room was clean, the bathrooms are probably the nicest part with the nice products (never got a tube of toothpaste from a hotel before), the glassed in shower and seperate tub, very clean and spacious. The bed was huge and comfortable. The flat screen TV had a great HD picture, rare for a hotel. The only complaint about the room was the A/C. The night we were there the weather was in the 80's and still the A/C on its maximum setting really didn't cool down the room much. It's hard to imagine in a place like Indian Wells where the temps are often over 100 degrees having subpar A/C in the rooms. With the heavy duvet blankets on the bed, I like to make it cold in the room, but that was impossible. Of course, we didn't spend that much time in the room on our one-night stay, but beyond the A/C, I have zero complaints about the room, it was a totally 4-star experience.
The lounge/bar has a gorgeous outdoor patio area, also complete with flat screens, where we sat and enjoyed a drink and an appetizer before we headed off the property for dinner. The grounds were great, there were about 4 zillion kids there (probably Spring Break) so the pool areas were just brimming with kids and families. Happily, there was the adult pool where it was just us and the smokers.
I was very impressed and although I would probably never pay retail ($300+ a night), would be ecstatic to Priceline a room there in the future.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you "sdtraveler" ! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your detailed review of our resort with the faithful seekers on TripAdvisor! It is so exciting to read comments from a guest who truly explored the resort and found all that we had to offer, including the adult pool Quiet area and even our social media page. I, too, wish we didn't allow smoking at all; for now we do and most of those folks are happy to curtail if they know they are bothering another.
Please come back and stay with us again and we will try to make it even more special. See you soon!
Fortaleza, CE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I paid $85 plus taxes and fees, and an expected $23 "resort fee." That fee does include WiFi, which can run up to $15 at some hotels. I also understood that self-parking was $10 but I was never charged that. When I pulled up to the front entrance and said I'd self-park, the valets took our my bags and said they'd be in my room when I got there. They were, and everyone had left (no one hanging around just for a tip, though I wasn't trying to avoid tipping). The room, including the bathroom, were very large. I had a balcony overlooking a pool area which, the receptinist accurately advised me, closed by 10 so there would be no noise problem (the fact that it was a bit cold at night and a high wind came in may have helped).

Although the restaurant was a bit pricey, it was the long wait that kept me out of there (I did ask if the salmon was farm-raised and was told, yes it was; so kudos for honesty). I ended up eating in the noisy bar area. It was likely noisier than usual due to an event being held. A band playing disco-era hits for an upper middle-aged crowd. I had a very good and very reasonably-priced pizza. Afterwards I had a brandy, and after I'd drunk part of it the bartender added some, making it nearly a double.

I had a very restful night's sleep.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

My husband, son (16 yr old) and I had a marvelous time at the Hyatt GC. We had a spacious room overlooking the gold course. The room was clean and very neat at arrival. We were greated by the many staff members at the valet area and the front desk. My husband and son played on The Players course. Twilight is $100 per golfer (reasonable rate including a cart) They had a wonderful time and said that they would love to return and play again. I spend four hours at the spa. I had such a great experience that I didn't want to leave. My facial was given by Tsege ( the best i've ever had) She was so professional, friendly, gave me wonderful advise about skin care and wasn't ovelyr chatty.
If you love eating outdoors in a beautiful setting, I would highly recommend the Indian Wells Club House adjacent to the hotel. We sat upstairs on the terrace and enjoyed a delicious lunch and a spectacular view of the golf course. Very reasonably priced. They have a brunch on Sundays too, but we opted for lunch instead.
I would high recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be pampered!!!!

Room Tip: on-line reservations
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I decided to take my wife on a spa weekend prior to the birth of our first child. Upon arriving to the hotel I was shocked that they would charge for self parking, the $10/Night fee was not going to kill us so I ignored it. The dinner that night at the restaurant at the hotel was great would highly recommend Lantana for dinner. The problems then started in the morning service at breakfast. It was mediocre at best with the waitress even bringing up the fact that our toast was burnt and she would then replace it. We had time to finish our meal, talk, walk back into the restaurant and then have to ask for more toast. By the way the check was also brought to our table mid meal (the restaurant was empty). The next morning we had a similar situation when my wife ordered a side of bananas. The waiter brought our food and stated that he had forgotten the bananas. We did indeed get them 25 minutes later and as a fruit plate to apologize.

We did also have a spa treatment at the hotel. We called up changing the times of our appointment 4 days earlier and yet at the time of our original appointment we get a call informing us that we had missed our treatments. After a stressful discussion with the spa manager they corrected the error and once again proceeded in showering us with apologetic gifts. We have no problem paying the prices for the service we just want it done right the first time and we don't need any gifts.

Overall the spa needs work. The steam room on the men's side has mold/mildew (I am no expert but a lot of brown in the wite grout) . Co-ed lounging area is facing cabanas (love having my wife lounge in her robe with potential guest able to see). But the most important was the massage was very good.

We don't have issues paying for service but we hate paying for lack of service. Between all the issues above we spent more time than necessary dealing with problems that could have been avoided. We will NOT be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

My wife and I have a sentimental attachment to the Hyatt Grand Champions because we were married there last year, and our return trip to celebrate our first anniversary there was just as great. Additionally, everyone who stayed at the hotel for our wedding remarked on what a great resort and location it is. The grounds are absolutely breathtaking, everything is extremely well-maintained, and the service is impeccable. We also appreciated the fact that there is a family pool and an adults-only pool, which serves the needs of both couples and families; kids can also go to the Camp Hyatt facility on the grounds. The gym was very much up-to-date, and the bar was recently remodeled as well.

We were lucky enough to stay in one of the villas for our first trip there, but were in a regular room in the main hotel building this past time. While the villas are extremely spacious and well-appointed, the regular rooms are also done up well. We also were able to bring our dog out with us on both trips, since they have pet-friendly rooms. The Hyatt restaurant was also great for breakfasts, both in terms of the buffet and menu items from the kitchen.

The thing that makes this Hyatt stellar is the high level of service that we have always experienced there. Not only is everyone polite and extremely helpful, but they go the extra mile to help no matter what. When we called down to the front desk to request some silverware be delivered to our room (which was actually one of the farthest rooms in the main building from the front desk), someone was at our door within moments. One of the front desk employees also delivered local toffee to our room as an anniversary present (they told us they were going to send wine but saw my wife is pregnant so refrained from sending alcohol), and we greatly appreciated the thought that was put into making our weekend enjoyable.

I highly recommend the Hyatt Grand Champions, either for a quick getaway from Los Angeles or San Diego, a relaxing vacation in the desert or for a special event.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!