“Better than I expected” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Huntington Beach, California
“Better than I expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt for a conference, which unfortunately coincided with the Coachella Music Festival. Despite the crowds in the area and at the hotel because of the festival, the staff maintained a high level of service and the rooms and amenities were excellent. The rate for the conference packaged in parking and the resort fee so I didn't have to deal with those issues but I would agree that they are annoying. I enjoyed two days at the spa, where I used the steam, jacuzzi, and other facilities for just $20, which was less than I had paid at other resorts. Use of the fitness center is free if you don't use the locker room and other spa facilities. A few of my colleagues had massages (for a separate charge) and they were impressed.
My room was quite large and had a step-down sitting area with couch, chair, coffee table and desk. I was happy that the hotel provided an empty refrigerator in addition to the stocked mini-bar. My only complaint about the room was the noisy A/C. However, since the weather was comfortable at night, I was able to just open the slider and turn off the A/C.
All in all I was quite satisfied.

Room Tip: Be specific about the view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
ServiceManager44600, Manager at Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2011
What an exciting, if unexpected, time to be in the Desert- the height of Spring Break and the music festival and a conference going on at the same time! Thank you so much for your kind words about the resort and your experience. I am am glad to hear you found the rooms spacious and facilities well appointed. The spa facility pass is a hidden treat for added and well -deserved relaxation. You're not far away LSCats, so I hope you will ahve the opportunity to visit us again soon for some fun in the sun.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

When Priceline landed us at the Hyatt Grand Champions for just over $100 a night, I guess I wasn't sure what to expect. Reading some of the reviews I worried a little about the 'dated' rooms that people have mentioned, etc. But even though we consider ourselves to be a little hotel snobby, the Grand Champions was really immaculate and exceeded our expectations greatly.
As a reviewer had suggested, I 'liked' the resort on Facebook as soon as we made the reservation, and upon check-in I received a nice card from the marketing manager and some coupons for a free appetizer at the awesome bar/lounge and for their restaurant as well. The room wasn't quite ready when we arrived at 1 pm, so we stored our bags and went out to the pool area and had a drink at the pool bar while we waited. The only complaint here is I was a little shocked that they allow smoking in the pool area-- I really thought that all of the big US chains like Hyatt had gone 100% smoke free-- I'm just so sensitive to that cigarette smell since you never see it these days, so it was a little offensive to have it in the pool area. Nonetheless, we had a great daquiri and got some sun and around 2 pm, they called my cell to inform us the room was ready.
The room itself was on the ground floor with a scenic view of the parking lot from our little veranda, but hey, we got it cheap on Priceline and can't expect the Presidential Suite. The room was clean, the bathrooms are probably the nicest part with the nice products (never got a tube of toothpaste from a hotel before), the glassed in shower and seperate tub, very clean and spacious. The bed was huge and comfortable. The flat screen TV had a great HD picture, rare for a hotel. The only complaint about the room was the A/C. The night we were there the weather was in the 80's and still the A/C on its maximum setting really didn't cool down the room much. It's hard to imagine in a place like Indian Wells where the temps are often over 100 degrees having subpar A/C in the rooms. With the heavy duvet blankets on the bed, I like to make it cold in the room, but that was impossible. Of course, we didn't spend that much time in the room on our one-night stay, but beyond the A/C, I have zero complaints about the room, it was a totally 4-star experience.
The lounge/bar has a gorgeous outdoor patio area, also complete with flat screens, where we sat and enjoyed a drink and an appetizer before we headed off the property for dinner. The grounds were great, there were about 4 zillion kids there (probably Spring Break) so the pool areas were just brimming with kids and families. Happily, there was the adult pool where it was just us and the smokers.
I was very impressed and although I would probably never pay retail ($300+ a night), would be ecstatic to Priceline a room there in the future.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you "sdtraveler" ! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your detailed review of our resort with the faithful seekers on TripAdvisor! It is so exciting to read comments from a guest who truly explored the resort and found all that we had to offer, including the adult pool Quiet area and even our social media page. I, too, wish we didn't allow smoking at all; for now we do and most of those folks are happy to curtail if they know they are bothering another.
Please come back and stay with us again and we will try to make it even more special. See you soon!
Fortaleza, CE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I paid $85 plus taxes and fees, and an expected $23 "resort fee." That fee does include WiFi, which can run up to $15 at some hotels. I also understood that self-parking was $10 but I was never charged that. When I pulled up to the front entrance and said I'd self-park, the valets took our my bags and said they'd be in my room when I got there. They were, and everyone had left (no one hanging around just for a tip, though I wasn't trying to avoid tipping). The room, including the bathroom, were very large. I had a balcony overlooking a pool area which, the receptinist accurately advised me, closed by 10 so there would be no noise problem (the fact that it was a bit cold at night and a high wind came in may have helped).

Although the restaurant was a bit pricey, it was the long wait that kept me out of there (I did ask if the salmon was farm-raised and was told, yes it was; so kudos for honesty). I ended up eating in the noisy bar area. It was likely noisier than usual due to an event being held. A band playing disco-era hits for an upper middle-aged crowd. I had a very good and very reasonably-priced pizza. Afterwards I had a brandy, and after I'd drunk part of it the bartender added some, making it nearly a double.

I had a very restful night's sleep.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

My husband, son (16 yr old) and I had a marvelous time at the Hyatt GC. We had a spacious room overlooking the gold course. The room was clean and very neat at arrival. We were greated by the many staff members at the valet area and the front desk. My husband and son played on The Players course. Twilight is $100 per golfer (reasonable rate including a cart) They had a wonderful time and said that they would love to return and play again. I spend four hours at the spa. I had such a great experience that I didn't want to leave. My facial was given by Tsege ( the best i've ever had) She was so professional, friendly, gave me wonderful advise about skin care and wasn't ovelyr chatty.
If you love eating outdoors in a beautiful setting, I would highly recommend the Indian Wells Club House adjacent to the hotel. We sat upstairs on the terrace and enjoyed a delicious lunch and a spectacular view of the golf course. Very reasonably priced. They have a brunch on Sundays too, but we opted for lunch instead.
I would high recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be pampered!!!!

Room Tip: on-line reservations
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I decided to take my wife on a spa weekend prior to the birth of our first child. Upon arriving to the hotel I was shocked that they would charge for self parking, the $10/Night fee was not going to kill us so I ignored it. The dinner that night at the restaurant at the hotel was great would highly recommend Lantana for dinner. The problems then started in the morning service at breakfast. It was mediocre at best with the waitress even bringing up the fact that our toast was burnt and she would then replace it. We had time to finish our meal, talk, walk back into the restaurant and then have to ask for more toast. By the way the check was also brought to our table mid meal (the restaurant was empty). The next morning we had a similar situation when my wife ordered a side of bananas. The waiter brought our food and stated that he had forgotten the bananas. We did indeed get them 25 minutes later and as a fruit plate to apologize.

We did also have a spa treatment at the hotel. We called up changing the times of our appointment 4 days earlier and yet at the time of our original appointment we get a call informing us that we had missed our treatments. After a stressful discussion with the spa manager they corrected the error and once again proceeded in showering us with apologetic gifts. We have no problem paying the prices for the service we just want it done right the first time and we don't need any gifts.

Overall the spa needs work. The steam room on the men's side has mold/mildew (I am no expert but a lot of brown in the wite grout) . Co-ed lounging area is facing cabanas (love having my wife lounge in her robe with potential guest able to see). But the most important was the massage was very good.

We don't have issues paying for service but we hate paying for lack of service. Between all the issues above we spent more time than necessary dealing with problems that could have been avoided. We will NOT be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

My wife and I have a sentimental attachment to the Hyatt Grand Champions because we were married there last year, and our return trip to celebrate our first anniversary there was just as great. Additionally, everyone who stayed at the hotel for our wedding remarked on what a great resort and location it is. The grounds are absolutely breathtaking, everything is extremely well-maintained, and the service is impeccable. We also appreciated the fact that there is a family pool and an adults-only pool, which serves the needs of both couples and families; kids can also go to the Camp Hyatt facility on the grounds. The gym was very much up-to-date, and the bar was recently remodeled as well.

We were lucky enough to stay in one of the villas for our first trip there, but were in a regular room in the main hotel building this past time. While the villas are extremely spacious and well-appointed, the regular rooms are also done up well. We also were able to bring our dog out with us on both trips, since they have pet-friendly rooms. The Hyatt restaurant was also great for breakfasts, both in terms of the buffet and menu items from the kitchen.

The thing that makes this Hyatt stellar is the high level of service that we have always experienced there. Not only is everyone polite and extremely helpful, but they go the extra mile to help no matter what. When we called down to the front desk to request some silverware be delivered to our room (which was actually one of the farthest rooms in the main building from the front desk), someone was at our door within moments. One of the front desk employees also delivered local toffee to our room as an anniversary present (they told us they were going to send wine but saw my wife is pregnant so refrained from sending alcohol), and we greatly appreciated the thought that was put into making our weekend enjoyable.

I highly recommend the Hyatt Grand Champions, either for a quick getaway from Los Angeles or San Diego, a relaxing vacation in the desert or for a special event.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

This is the second year we have stayed at Hyatt GC in order to have quick access to the BNP Paribas tennis tournament. The hotel is convenient and has a great breakfast brunch but there are a few things they need to work on.

Service in the Lantana Restaurant is crazy. You have a person to seat you, one to pour water, one to bring drinks, then a waiter. It's a case of too many cooks spoil the broth. It was agonizingly slow to get your coffee cup refilled, or have a pat of butter delivered. One instance we had six guests at one table and it took four tries to get the checks presented properly. What is frustrating is they seem to have adequate staff to handle the customers but they are unorganized.

Also, this hotel needs an update if it wants to be considered top of the line. The towels are on par quality with Holiday Inn Express...not the fluffy you'd expect at a place like this. One rug in a long hallway between lobby and rooms was visibly tattered and dirty. There seemed to always be a line at the reception desk. Last year we had electrical problems in our room which were never adequately addressed. We were amazed when friends told us the business center would charge them $50 just to check their emails! Still, we came back :)

And just wondering, but it seems unless you want to spend time in a very noisy, boisterous bar, there were no options to get a snack when you return after a long day and it's nearly midnight.

On the plus side it's a beautiful setting and the shuttle bus to and from the nearby tournament makes it convenient. The grounds are well kept and we especially liked eating on the terrace.

• Stayed March 2011
ServiceManager44600, Manager at Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2011
Dear Bluebird1000-
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Grand Champions following the BNP Tennis Tournament. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay overall and truly appreciate the suggestions. Just wanted to let you know we are undergoing a major renovation of our lobby spaces this summer and will have a fresh new look when you return next year for tennis! That long rug you mention is gone and your comments were so correct- we apologize. I can't promise the front desk won't be busy, as it seems guests need to review every detail of their stay during such a busy time. We are working on new late night menus for the lounge area and new concept for our Deli as a casual eatery, soI think you will be pleasantly suprised. Please let us know how you like it next March! Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
#3 of 4 in Indian Wells
4.0 of 5 stars 964 reviews
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!