“Family favorite” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Indian Wells B&B and Inns
Anaheim, California
“Family favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My family has been coming here since the early 1980s. I've had the good fortune of traveling to a lot of places in this world, and seen some beautiful luxury resorts. But in the end, the Sands of Indian Wells is what feels like vacation to me. It is comfortable, clean, friendly and the pool is wonderful. Come here for a relaxing escape; don't expect swim-up bars and high-end touches. I love this place and have imparted this to my kids. They, too, are well-traveled but the place they always want to return to is the Sands. It's our family favorite, without a doubt.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

I frequent the 760 area often. I choose this hotel based on the reviews and I got the room 40% off due to an Expedia special. When we arrived it was after hours. The lobby DOES not stay open 24/hrs nor does it have a walk up window to check in. I was very confused on how I was going to get my room key... I called the hotels answering service and they directed me to a "lock box" which had my room key inside. Myself (caucasian) and friend (hispanic) entered the hotel gates where we were approached by 3 (caucasian) adults who were also staying at the hotel. They were polite toward me but very rude with my friend. The rest of the trip I noticed only (caucasians) were staying at this hotel and they clearly did not like hispanics. The second day we were there we requested housekeeping to come clean up our room. When we returned to our room I could tell housekeeping had been there (but not b/c it was clean) but b/c they had taken out the trash but they didn't even put a trash bag back in the garbage can. They left no clean towels and they did not make the bed, stock the toilet paper, or vacume. I asked the front desk what was going on and he replied, "housekeeping is busy geting the empty rooms ready for guests who are checking in. If you need new towels feel free to come get some." The bed in the room was very hard and uncomfortable, the couch wasn't any better. The pillows felt like they were pillow cases stuffed with towels. The shower was so little I had to stick my leg out on the toilet just to shave. The cloth shower curtain was stained and due to the shower being so little it kept sticking to my body. The pool was nice and it was enjoyable seeing all the kids play and have a good time :) They also have BBQ pits available if you choose to do that type of thing. Overall I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
Norco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I loved staying at the Sands of Indian Wells!!
I would recommend staying at Sands to my friends and family....
Friendly staff =) Very clean!

Room Tip: read trip advisor before traveling
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

The Sands is a gem of the desert in the highest priced zip code in the Palm Springs area. It is convient to all great golf courses, and the Indian Wells tennis resort and restaurants and shopping. The rates are 1/2 the cost of the surrounding hotels, the rooms are clean, the beds comfortable, the staff super friendly. There is a salt water pool (heated) and good sized hot tub. The kitchens, while somewhat small, are equipted with refigerators, stoves and/or microwaves,and are perfect for breakfast, lunch and if you want,there are gas BBQs around the pool for dinner. I was very satisfied with the Sands and will go back again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Fairport, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stayed here using time share points. We were very pleased. Yes, the room was very small, but we didn't spend that much time in it. Partial kitchen was adequate for our needs and there was communal kitchen and barbeque grills for use by guests if one wanted to cook. Pool was very nice - warm like bathwater - with plenty of chairs, tables and umbrellas surrounding. Free wi-fi! Coin operated washer and dryer. The Nest Restaurant behind hotel was good place for drink and bar food during happy hour. Nice walking path. Ralph's Fresh Food in walking distance for groceries and supplies. Convenient to many attractions such as Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, Joshua Tree National Park, El Paseo Drive, to name a few. And the staff at the front desk could not have been friendlier. Biggest drawback were paper thin walls - could almost hear conversations of our next door neighbors. However, we would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: We were in room 206 - mini fridge, micorwave, coffee maker, toaster and dishes and utensils. Noted...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

The Sands of Indian Wells is a little hidden gem in beatiful Indian Wells, CA. It isn't a 5 star property, but the rooms are clean and the grounds are well kept.

The salt pool is a definite plus and the jaccuzzi is large and very relaxing.

Coffee is served every morning in the "Coachella" room if you do not want to make your own in your room. The room I stayed in had a full kitchen and everything you would need to cook up a small meal if need be. It was nice having a full sized fridge ta boot!

The property is quiet and has a fabulous restaurant called "The Nest" located in the front. The food there is absolutly outstanding and it seems to have live music 7 nights a week. They are only open for dinner, but there are many other options to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner close by.

I loved how close I was to the "Rodeo Drive" of the desert called "El Paseo."...I was able to shop for some fabulous things and have some great food too!

The price of the room was fantastic and the staff is great and I will be back for sure. Oh and did I mention FREE wifi and parking...Honey I love the word "FREE!!!"

Room Tip: All rooms face out to the pool and it seems that every room has a balcony too.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Clay, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Sands of Indian Wells
I liked our stay at the Sands of Indian Wells in Palm Springs, although the rooms can afford to be bigger, staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean and had everything we needed. The kitchen is small but we didn’t cook, we ate out most days. We love to travel but hotels are not our main destination, we like them clean with nice people tending to our needs and in a well located area. Staying at the Sands of Indian Wells, we were able to get around Palms Springs pretty good because we were very well located.
I understand why people complain about unit size but the rooms are comfortable and clean great for a good night’s rest. Palm Springs is such a wonderful vacation destination we were exhausted from all the activities when we came to our room to rest.
I would also hire a decorator to give the place a renovation and more modern up to date look. We liked that it had covered parking since our rental car was always fresh and ready to get in and go. It has a great restaurant nearby and we saw people enjoying the gardens and cooking on the BBQ grills they have outdoors. We didn’t use internet so I wouldn’t know how much they charge for it, I have a 3G connection and we were out most of the day.
There is also what from a distance seemed a nice children's playground and some putting greens, but again we didn’t have the time nor the energy to use them. We will definitely go back, it a well located hotel with all what we needed and where all our needs and requests were taken care of nicely. I have stayed in luxury hotel with staff that barely looks at you when you try to talk to them, we like friendly open to conversation staff who can give us tips to visit the destination we are in.

Room Tip: book in advance
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sands of Indian Wells? Share your experiences!