“Just About the Best Chile Colorado Ever!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 31 Restaurants in Idyllwild
Cuisines: Mexican
Thousand Palms, California, United States
“Just About the Best Chile Colorado Ever!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Arriba Mexican Food (sometimes called "Arriba's" -- I don't know where the "Enterprise" came from because this place doesn't look anything like a space ship) is kind of upstairs on the north end of downtown Idyllwild, right on Highway 243. They have large wooden decks on either side of the restaurant for those who prefer to dine alfresco; the interior doesn't have much in the way of a motif except for a couple of wall plaques denoting some kind of Aztec mythos. They could definitely use the services of a professional interior designer.

We originally came here because of a flyer advertising a $4.25 breakfast special, but when we saw the lunch specials at $4.50 and $6.50 we quickly changed our minds. The chips were OK, but the salsa was much too watery. My wife ordered her customary Chile Relleno for $4.50 and I opted for my favorite, Chile Colorado, for only $6.50; both came with fluffy rice and refried beans. Both were delivered on 12-by-9-inch oval platters and mine had a side of flour tortillas. Holy guacamole! This was probably the best Chile Colorado I've ever had! The meat was tender and perfectly seasoned. If it had a bit of shredded lettuce and a dollop of sour cream on top, I could have sworn I had died and gone to Heaven - or at least East Los Angeles! There was much too much food for me to eat, so I had it boxed up to go. But when I went to the counter to pay, I forgot to go back to the table to get the box. By the time I realized my mistake, they had cleaned up the table and threw the leftovers away. Now I want to make the trip back to Idyllwild to get some more of Arriba's fabulous Chile Colorado - better quality and half the price I would pay in Palm Springs!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Menifee
“Really average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Everything about this restaurant was average except for the service, which was below average. The waitress made us feel like we were imposing on her by asking a few questions. We wanted to leave, but felt obligated to order something. We ordered the Mexican pizza, which was tasty but nothing to write home about. Next time we are in Idyllwild, we will definitely find somewhere else to eat.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bermuda Dunes, California
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Excellent value for pretty decent Mexican food. Good portion size . Helpful and friendly staff.
Lunch deals are amazing.

Visited February 2013
Idyllwild, California
“Good Local Family Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The food at Arriba's is always served with a friendly wait staff .The chips are at hand in a flash,however the salsa could be a bit hotter for my taste.Tacos and tostadas are a treat,and served any way you desire--soft fry-medium- or hard. It's the place to be on any Monday .

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tustin, CA
“Very good for Idyllwild... Great service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just had dinner with my husband and had a fantastic server. Melissa absolutely took care of everything we needed to make our visit good. The chips were a little over cooked and the salad a bit soggy but the entree my husband and I had were both really good. Taco, Chili relleno, beans and rice were all good. They used real mexican cheese. Any thing that we desired to be corrected Melissa was more then willing to serve us and with a great attitude. It was such a pleasant experience after the dinner the evening before in Idyllwild. Granted it's not the best mexican food I've ever had but surprisingly good for the town and worth the cost. Servers like Melissa make me think... Someday if I have a lot of money I'd love to leave huge tips for servers like her!!! Thanks for the wonderful experience. A musician was also playing and the sound was very chill. Not too loud, just right for the atmosphere.

Visited November 2012