“Love this beach hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Love this beach hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We concluded a fantastic trip down the coast with our teens at this awesome resort. Is this a Ritz or Four Seasons? No. But this is my fav Hilton in the country. Service is fantastic and the rooms are very nice and there are always chairs available at the pool. This is a family resort. If you are looking for seclusion you may want to looks elsewhere.

The onsite restaurant Shades is good but has a limited menu. Actually, the lunch menu is more appealing than the dinner menu. Service was friendly and unpretentious. Everyone from the font desk to the bellmen were friendly and helpful. Monique in particular deserves high praise, as well as the women working the surf hero shop.

Our only complaint was the bed. It was extremely soft and we both tossed and turned more than usual..

We splurged for a full suite this time which had a gorgeous view of the pacific and the pool. Overall a winner

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Banning, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I selected the Hilton Beach Resort because it offered "Ocean Front" rooms. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and were looking forward to a romantic view from our balcony of the beach and ocean. We were given a second floor room with heavy automobile traffic noise and a row of palm tree's that blocked most of the ocean view. I figured that booking during the week and off-season would afford us a better opportunity for a nice ocean front room?
Not the "case"!!! When I inquired about getting a room on a higher floor I was told that everything was completely booked up. The hotel parking lot was almost empty and the hotel was noticeably empty? To be honest, we offered a room on the 6th floor with a hotel parking lot view!!

You would think that when you spend almost $500.00 a night that you would get some satisfaction regarding room selection.

The food and bar servers were very friendly and efficient.

Needless to say, we will were not satisfied with the "Hilton Waterford Beach Resort"!!!

Room Tip: Good luck getting a higher floor, unless you want to spend...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Barrington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Very nice hotel with nicely decorated and clean rooms. Each room has a little balcony which over looks the ocean. Ours also overlooked the pool and restaurant area. It was super nice to sit out there at the end of the day and watch the sunset. The pool area is really nice with pool side waitresses. It was very nice to sit out and get some sun. The bar, Shades was also nice and "Jami" can make a really nice cocktail and do some really cool magic tricks. My husband, daughter and I were very impressed. As much as we like the hotel I don't think I could ever go back there unless I was able to have a Queen or King size bed. There were three of us in our room and when we walked in the two beds were double size. My daughter got one and my husband and I got the other. We are not big people but it was so hard to sleep in a double with someone else. It is hard to believe hotels would have doubles and not queens. I think the hotel either has Kings or doubles. So unless my husband and I went by ourselves and were able to get a king we wouldn't go back. Also, as much as I liked our view over the pool I probably would request the opposite side of the hotel since the restaurant had a live little band at night and it was really loud in our room . The hotel is in a great location, directly across the street from the beach and a little walk from the center of town. All in all its a great place except for the bed sizes.

Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, quiet, and well provisioned. The pool area is nicely landscaped and has a fire pit when cold. The restaurant has a nice menu, and food and drinks are brought to the pool.

The staff is friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the sunset side.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last year. It was my wife's first trip to California and I had only to been to California once before for a very short stay. This hotel was close to where we needed to be, otherwise I don't know if I would have selected Huntington Beach as our location, not knowing the area. As it turned out, we loved it and were glad to be there. The hotel is clean and the pool area is very nice. The restaurant served quality food and the Sunday brunch was incredible. We were upgraded to a corner suite and it was a great room with wrap around balcony and a 2nd balcony. The only down side, were views of a some sort of factory or plant, but it in no way spoiled our room. There are other rooms that are on the side of the hotel, but I would request one that is directly in front of the hotel, as they offer nearly 180 degree ocean views.

We go to Mexico a lot, so this hotel offered a different beach experience than the resort type beaches. The photos on the website give the impression that the hotel is right on the beach, but what you don't see is the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) b/w the hotel and the beach. This was only a minor inconvenience. Crossing the PCH was not a challenge and there are stop walks on either end of the hotel. The beach is a city beach with parking on the street. We enjoyed the more bustling vibe of the beach, compared to the more sedate resort beaches. We rented bikes from the hotel and rode to Newport Beach. It's an easy and enjoyable ride.

The pool area was quiet, but not too quiet. There were some guided pool area "activities" which I found to be amusing, as I had not seen that before at a hotel in America. Beach gear was easy to borrow, and there were activities that could be purchased. We didn't bring our kids on this trip, but I think we could easily keep them entertained at the pool and beach areas. Plus there is shopping and the pier is close by.

Before arriving at the hotel, we spent the day in LA proper, and I can honestly say that we will probably not be doing any more sight seeing in LA (LA proper that is). Huntington Beach and neighboring Newport Beach were much more our style, laid back and relaxed. Overall, we really enjoyed the hotel, and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on at the front (closest to the PCH). The views are almost 180 degrees. Our corner...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott O, Public Relations Manager at The Waterfront Beach Resort, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Jeff A,

Thank you for your kind words and excellent review. We agree that LA and Orange County are two different animals although just next to each other. You, however, nailed it when you hit upon our friendly and laid back atmosphere...and proximity to our wonderful downtwon for shopping and dining options (when you're not too stuffed by our endless brunch buffet!). That makes us your perfect beachside getaway, no passports required!

Soon the view will be different too as the electrical power plant you could see off in the distance will be radically altered to blend in with our surroundings (no more towers or exposed structure). While we can't wait for that day to come, it is nice to know that for Huntington Beach (and our coastal neighbors) clean and affordable power is avaiable for us when demand rises. Recently the power company presented its final plans to the city and coastal commission for approval...and their committment to our environment (and sightline) is to be commended.

We all look forward to your return and next time, by all means...bring the kids! We have a wonderful activities menu all planned for the kick off to summer (and complimentary too) along with plenty of beach options thru Waterfront Adventures directly in front of the hotel on the sand. Hurry back, we'll be ready!

Scott O'Hanlon
Director of Marketing
The Waterfront Beach Resort, a Hilton Hotel
Dallas,TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights with my young children. The customer service was excellent and I was very satisfied with my stay. My only complaint is that they do not offer any type of kids club such as the Hyatt Regency next door. Other than that, the pool area was lovely, the location superb, and the rooms very nice.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear KittyTX76,

Thank you for your very kind review. You'll be glad to know that beginning Memorial Day weekend we will have childrens activities every day of the week...arts and crafts, cookie decorating, caraciture artistis, ballon toss contests and more...all complimentary. And remember, at The Waterfront Beach Resort, a Hilton Hotel, there is NO RESORT FEE! No hidden fees for fun... ever.

Now that I've got you smiling, give us a call and book you're next stay... we're ready for you and the younger ones whenever you come back.

Scott O'Hanlon
Director of Marketing
The Waterfront Beach Resort, a Hilton Hotel
Terrigal, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and loved the location. An easy walk to the main stretch of shops and restaurants. Our rate included continental breakfast which consisted of toast and coffee from the coffee shop. One morning we went to the restaurant and had a la carte breakfast - well worth it. Staff were really friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Waterfront Beach Resort, A Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!