“Excellent food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Fountain Valley, California
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My partner and I finally decided to try this place after hearing two different sets of friends tell us how good it is. We went for dinner and were surprised to find the lighted Kiku sign turned off. There were people inside so we went in. The decor wasn't much to look at; what really grabbed our attention, though, was that everybody--I mean EVERYBODY: the full sushi bar, the handful of tables that had people at them--seemed to know each other. Everybody was talking to everybody; it was like walking in on a family get together. We waited 15 minutes to get sushi bar seats and had beer while we waited. What was funny about that was another customer brought us the beer. This customer got up to get himself a beer and asked the waitress if she wanted him to get ours. I've never been to a place where I've been served by another customer. As mentioned, it was very gregarious. By the time we moved to the bar, we found ourselves immersed in conversation and trying the same rolls everybody else was enjoying; we didn't even look at the menu. And what delightful rolls...most didn't even have names. The sushi chef was apparently trying out some new creations that night. The fish was super fresh and the portions were extremely generous. I have never eaten so much sushi in one sitting. We left warm and full having thoroughly enjoyed a novel dining experience. We're looking forward to our next visit.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

TheFoodKing
“One Man Sho”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

You have never eaten Sushi unless you had the Kiku experience. The atmosphere is like the sushi bar version of Cheers where everybody seems to know everybody. I like the fact that many of the people do not even use menus! I just ordered what the other people were ordering and the portions are HUGE compared to the inexpensive price. I have brought friends from all over who claim that they have had the best sushi, yeah, whatever. They leave this place with the best experience ever!!! Oh yeah, make sure you try going during an off hour because when it gets crowded, you have to realize that there is only one Chef and he is awesome.

Huntington Beach
“Freshest sushi in Huntington Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

My husband and I have been going to Kiku for over 10 years now. you can find us there at least once a week. They are the best. The portions are more than generous. no one has fresher fish. Husband and wife run the place - and the husband is the one behind the sushi bar and handling the cooked food - so be patient. This is not the place to go if you are in a hurry, but it certainly is the place to go if you want to hang out with locals and want the best sushi in town.

And to find out about more local restaurants, make sure to check out the site all about 'where the locals go' in Huntington Beach: [--] - it is full of usefull information!