“Going to stay as a surfer, you can't ask for much more.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Huntington Surf Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Huntington Beach
Huntington Surf Inn
You added Huntington Surf Inn to your Saves list
720 Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach, CA 92648   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Going to stay as a surfer, you can't ask for much more.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you want some quiet, go for room 8. It's furthest away from Pacific Highway and you can barely hear any noise pollution. Then again, I went in the middle of the low season, so I can't speak for peak season. When you contact them, you get a reply as if it's a big business of some sort. It's a family business. The husband or wife will be the one replying. They are very friendly people and will do everything they can to help you.

Obviously there was different manageI don't know about the rest of the rooms, but I'll write my review purely from what I experienced. I had a large flat screen TV, Queen sized (comfy) bed, private bathroom (each room has one), a small fridge, microwave, chest of drawers, a table with two chairs and a light, and unlimited fast wifi.

Bedrooms are made on demand, rather than daily. There is one parking bay per room below the house (the house is raised). There is a raised balcony opposite room 1 that looks out to the street and beach. Nice place to chill, that is. There is a CVS/Pharmacy literally a block away that supplies most consumables you'll need and Zack's surfboard has an alright range of boards on Huntington beach faced Northside of the pier.

I had three issues with the place. Firstly, aside from the microwave there are no cooking appliances. Main street is only a few blocks away though and that has an array of eating options. Secondly, there is no cutlery immediately available. This problem is solved easily though as the owners have a plentiful supply of paper plates and plastic eating utensils. Third, there are no showers or anywhere to hang clothes to dry (not that I saw anywhere). There is a laundromat on (if I remember correctly) 17th & Olive streets (small shopping complex - remember to take heaps of quarters!). The above problems are relatively easily solved, hence a very good rating.

Room Tip: Room 1 is closest to the road, room 8 the furthest (opposite the office) and 9 is adjacent the offic...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I found this motel via TripAdvisor at the last minute and had a nice stay. For someone who is obsessed with surfing the place had great ambience. Room 5 had a blue wave painted on the walls, and funky pictures of well dressed animals as well as old black and white photos of surfers. The managers Julie and James were very friendly despite me checking in quite late, and they let me check out late as well. It was not noisy. The only con is the shower could use some modernizing. The location is great for the beach and surfing. For lovers of Vietnamese food and pho Westminster is a short drive away. Overall I had a great time and look forward to coming back.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
HuntingtonSurfInn, General Manager at Huntington Surf Inn, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear tigrio72,

Thank you for your gracious feedback. You hit it out of the park with the comments about the tasty Vietnamese cuisine awaiting our guests about 10-15 minute drive away in Westminster.
Indeed, while we are a surfer inn that has hosted some of the great surfers of our time, we take pride in our patronage by guests coming from all corners of the world for vacation or for business. We hope to be the destination that will provide you with a great service amidst a sense of having a home away from home.
We want you to know that we are in the midst of another cycle of updates and modernization of our facility. We hope to see you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great room! 2 streets from Main Street! Quiet hotel we were able to party on Main Street and then come and sleep very comfortable! The rooms were unique and very cool! Great service! Would defiantly stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Lovelyalways1,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are indeed lucky to be in a great location, and, as you have seen, will continue to work hard to provide you with a memorable stay in terms of lodging location, amenities, and most importantly, fantastic customer service.
Happy New Year!
LH
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel is the only place I will stay in Huntington Beach. The last visit was the 5th time I have stayed at the Inn. I'm usually in room 6 and feel right at home when I "move in". I sleep like a baby every time I'm here. Julie and James who manage the place are fantastic. They are very hands-on and go above and beyond to make sure you are happy. Whether I need extra pillows or towels it's no problem. I highly recommend the Tuesday night street market a few blocks away. Super fun! See you soon Julie and James cuz I'm coming back in a few weeks!

Room Tip: I said it before and I'll say it again: Check out all the rooms online thru the reservation link...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tori C,
Thank you for your continued patronage. Guests like you keep us humble and your kindness inspire us to continue to improve.
We are heading into a season of updates for the property, and look forward to serving you again soon.
Santa Cruz, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel, but it didn't work for us.
We just needed a simple room to stay the night while traveling from Santa Cruz to San Diego. I liked the idea of supporting a locally owned hotel, but I wish I had made another choice. The biggest irritation was that the hotel left the lights on outside the rooms (for safety I presume) and the rooms didn't have proper window coverings. I felt like I could have read a book just by the light coming in through the window blinds. Since we were traveling with a toddler, it was especially annoying.
The street noise was pretty high as well and the carpets were really dingy. It could be great for other people, but it just didn't work for our family. I'm glad that there are independently owned establishments, but this one really needs to invest in curtains.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HuntingtonSurfInn, General Manager at Huntington Surf Inn, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Lisa A,

Thank you so much for your visit. Huntington Beach lodgings like the Huntington Surf Inn appreciates your sentiment about your patronage of small local businesses.

We certainly took note of your sentiment about lighting and noise. Our location right on Pacific Coast Highway and immediately across the Ocean means that we will not be absolutely quiet or completely dark at all time of the day. It is part and parcel of our fantastic oceanside location, as many guests have addressed in other reviews.

We would like to reassure you also that additional blinds are installed in our rooms for guests sensitive to any amount of light. We will be more aggressive in pointing them out for our guests upon arrival. Your comments on the carpet reflect your visit at the end of our year. Although our carpets are continuously being lauded by most of the guests, they are cleaned with high frequency, and are being changed annually. Your room's carpet is scheduled for change this week as a part of our routine year end maintenance.

We hope you will have another opportunity to return. We look forward for your kind patronage, especially from the standpoint of a unique and very small lodging.

Thank you again.

L Han
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We arrived in the US after a long overnight flight and drove to Huntington Beach where we were booked to stay at the Huntington Surf Inn for two nights. We arrived around 10:30am and decided to see if we could get our room early. Julie and James greeted us with friendly faces and let us check in straight away which enabled us to get some much needed rest. They are extremely friendly operators who ensure their patrons have the kind of holiday they are looking for. The rooms were clean and beds comfy. It is walking distance to everything and enabled us land in the US, get our bearings and rest up in a friendly atmosphere.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HuntingtonSurfInn, General Manager at Huntington Surf Inn, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Nat E,

Thank you so much for your stay. Your review is a good reminder for all of us that the little touches count, and we will be sure to remember this to keep on taking great care of our guests. As many of our guests have noted on TripAdvisor and elsewhere, we are a small property and we will always treat you like our own!
Hopefully we will have the chance to take care of you again soon.

LH
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

A great place to stay. Julie & James make you feel very welcome.
Nice & clean with good shower & parking, walking distance to the beach, shops, bars and restaurants. I'll be re visiting as soon as time and money allow.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear chrisgurr,

We thank you for your continued patronage. Return guests are our biggest affirmation that we are on the right path with our customer service as well as with our goal to be a honest to goodness value in lodging right on PCH.

We really appreciate your picture of the sunset. Hope you will have fond memory of time on the deck with your friends at the Inn.

Take care and hope to see you soon,

L. Han

Been to Huntington Surf Inn? Share your experiences!