“Beautiful but costs add up quickly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21500 Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach, CA 92648   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Advance Purchase 15% Off
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Huntington Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
MD
“Beautiful but costs add up quickly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

Our group of 4, 2 adults and 2 teens (18 and 16) stayed for 4 nights in a junior suite.

First, the good:

The whole resort is beautifully decorated, landscaped and maintained. Our 900 sq. ft. suite consisted of a large living room, separate king BR, two full baths and a huge balcony. A king size pillow top mattress is always nice and the jetted soaking tub was a hit. Our rooms were totally isolated from outside noise or maybe we were just too wiped out to notice after long days on the beach. Furnishings are very nice and the rooms were of generous size with plenty of space for the 4 of us. The staff was pleasant and helpful, nothing to complain about there. Did I mention that the place is beautiful?

The not so good:

At $550/night they should gladly park you for free. Nope, $25/night, valet only. Your only other option is to park across the street at the beach lot for $10. We did that. Only hitch there is that you must be in that lot by 9 P.M. Parking in general in Ca. is outrageous so this is not that unusual, I guess. Add 11% tax, $10/day resort fee, $10/day for internet and things will start to add up. A small but disappointing detail is that there is no guest laundry. Oh, they will wash it for you for a substantial charge. $3/each for T-shirts and underwear! I stopped reading after that. That's just mean. Two minor problems with our room: A couple times an hour, a loud clunking noise from the HVAC unit. Loud enough to wake a light sleeper. Also, one of the supplied blow dryers didn't work. No biggie.

Overall we had a terrific time at the Hyatt. It's easily the nicest place in Huntington Beach. The walkway over the PCH leads to a very wide beach and an asphalt "boardwalk" with about a 15 minute walk to the downtown area. Decent eateries and lots of surf shops for the teens. The 1800' long pier is entertaining as well with Ruby's at the end offering good diner style food and great shakes! Surfers everywhere!

I would go 5 stars on this one if not for the overly high charges on some of the services here. Still, it's lovely and we highly recommend it.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds, Large comfortable rooms, great beach, sunny So. Cal. weather!
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

Booked our vacation on very short notice and got a great rate that included parking and resort fee. Have traveled extensively and found this property to be excellent. Traveling with 2 teen-age boys who loved the location on the beach and close to the pier.

Facility was extremely well appointed and maintained. Lush grounds and pool area. Very quiet and yet close to everything. Staff helpful and pleasant.

Stayed 5 days then moved to the Ritz Carlton Huntington - in comparison the Hyatt was much more comfortable and better appointed. Would highly recommend the Hyatt Regency - plan to return!!

Family from Chicago.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

I stayed at the Hyatt HB for for three nights starting 08/10. Upon arrival the hotel was awesome. The grounds were beautiful, the building very nice, and the staff was pleasant. I had requested early check in, but the room was not ready at 1300 when I arrived. The room however was ready an hour later. I had asked for at least a partial ocean view and was very pleased with the view from the room. I also selected the Hyatt Club Level, but I don't think this is worth the money and we only used it once.

The room was nice, beds very comfortable, and bathroom great. The beds are oh so comfy. The balcony has a table and chairs and is very nice. We used the pool and it was a bit crowded on the Sunday we used it, but we still enjoyed it. We also shopped in the little retail village and ate at both restaurants in the hotel. The fancier restaurant we had breakfast and it was OK. We had breakfast buffet and some foods were cold. We ate at bar style restaurant in retail village and had great drinks but found our fish and chips a bit greesey.

HB itself is very nice and our time on the beach was fun. The main street in HB is great and we ate at two restaurants and loved the small Italian eatery next to Starbucks on Main Street.

Back at the hotel we also enjoyed the smores by the fire. The fire pits are a great attraction. Finally, my traveling partner used the spa and she enjoyed her message.

All in all a great stay! The only negative I would say about this resort is the cost. Way to overpriced. I normally don't even blink an eye about costs when going to a resort and especially one in a pricy area of southern CA and on the ocean, but I really felt some of the prices at this resort were just plain ridiculous. Everything from food to drinks, to services were very expensive. That is too bad as I agree with several others that the expensiveness of this property takes away from all it has to offer.

• Liked — Location and Beautiful Resort
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

The Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach is a beautiful hotel, located across the PCH from the magnificent Huntington Beach, with an elevated pedestrian bridge over to the beach. It is a lovely Spanish style resort. We were there from August 9 – 11 for my wife’s b-day and our delayed honeymoon. We were given a complimentary upgrade to an executive suite, which was enormous. We lost our ocean front view and instead had a partial ocean view, but it was still very nice. Our room was very nice, the staff accommodating. I personally expected a little more from this hotel, given the reviews on this site and the price. After seeing the other options I had considered in the area, I am confident this was the right choice for this occasion.
We had room service one morning for breakfast which was very pricey but good. We ate at Pete’s also, which we both enjoyed.
We were initially given room keys to an occupied room, which one would never expect from a resort of this stature, but it turns out it was due to the upgrade of room.
Valet parking was excellent, always courteous and usually fast.
The Bell staff was incredible. I was most impressed with the Bell team at the Hyatt Huntington Beach. I grew up in Hawaii and am familiar with the service expectations of expensive destination resorts and can say the Bell staff I interacted with was by far the best I have ever seen. Everyone I worked with was professional, courteous, knowledgeable and careful with luggage, un-intrusive, and never once appeared to be fishing for a tip. I was very impressed.
There are many nice touches at the hotel, a little alcove with a fireplace, three hot tubs in the spa garden, a nice salt water pool, even a place to rent bicycles from. I actually wished we were staying longer, but there was no way to justify the cost of staying any longer.
For a special occasion or event this is an excellent facility. However, everything is expensive here, including parking, dining and the rooms.
We did have a great stay and may someday return if the price was right.

• Liked — Location and style
  • Disliked — Value/Price
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2007

The Hyatt in Huntington Beach is the best hotel I have ever stayed in and that is certainly saying something as I have travelled all over the world with the rest of my family! The food is exceptional, the staff delightful and courteous, the rooms beautiful and luxurious without being pretentious and the facilities are exquisite!! I travelled with both young kids, teenagers and fully-grown adults, all who enjoyed every minute of the stay. We first stayed in mid-late July 2007 and then returned once again mid August for an unscheduled stop due to the demands of everyone! Although it may seem suited to only adults, everyone of any age will love it-large camp fires situated throughout the resort are perfect for a post-dinner making of smores and the pool area is one of, if not the best I have ever experienced! The quality of the food is unreal with Pete's restaurant producing many of the best meals I've ever had-the beer-battered fish and chips (fries) is one in a million as are the chicken wings and garlic seasoned fries!
To tell the truth you can't really do the resort any justice in writing as you truly have to be there and relax in all its glory which it so rightly deserves.

• Liked — Everything!!
  • Disliked — That I had to leave.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

Spent one night at the hotel. Staff was exceptional. Entire hotel was as clean as a whistle. Grounds were maintained beautifully. Spa facilities were tremendous, and the services were five-star. On-site beach-themed restaurant was very good as well. I would definitely stay here on my next visit.

• Liked — Guest Rooms and Hotel Grounds
  • Disliked — That I could only stay one night
  • Stayed January 2005, traveled with friends
Pompano Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

My family and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach for several days in July 2007. This was our second stay at the hotel (we also stayed here two years ago). The Hyatt property is gorgeous--beautiful architecture, landscaping, fountains, etc. The rooms are luxurious, and the beds are extremely comfortable. Although we were there in the middle of summer, the pool never seemed crowded, and we were also able to enjoy the spas in the "Spa Grotto." My children also loved making their own S'mores at the fire pit by the pool.

The hotel's location directly across from the beach is awesome. An elevated pedestrian bridge allows easy access to the beach for resort guests. My family and I walked along the beach to Main Street (about a half mile each way) for breakfast and dinner a couple of days. We did have dinner one evening at Pete Mallory's at the property, and we enjoyed it (especially the pretzel bread!).

The only negative thing about the hotel is the fact that they seem to charge for every little thing, and the rates are high (for the average person) to begin with. We paid $25 for parking every day, and we never used our car from the time we checked in until we checked out. Internet access was $9.95 per 24-hour period, plus there was a $10/day resort fee. It would seem that these things would be included in the price.

Overall, though, the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort is a beautiful and relaxing place to stay.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds and comfortable accommodations.
  • Disliked — Extra fees (parking, internet access, etc.).
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!