“Excellent Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Excellent Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Let me begin with the negatives: if you want a quiet room and/or an ocean view, the Oceanview Motel is not for you. The motel is located very close to Pacific Coast Highway, so guests at the Oceanview Motel have to put up with traffic noise all night and all day. And except for a few rooms on third and maybe the second floor of the motel, the homes on the beach side of PCH block the view of the ocean.
However, my wife and I found the traffic noise to be "white noise" that didn't interrupt our sleep. And for the price we paid - $50 a night including tax - we didn't really expect an ocean view. (My guess is that the motel is older than the homes, so many years ago there probably was an ocean view from this motel.)
For those $50 you will get a comfortable king-size bed, TV (some rooms have HDTVs, others older TVs), a microwave oven (with free popcorn), free cookies and hard candy, a coffee maker with coffee, and a refrigerator. And the place is clean and generally well-maintained. And it is well-located for people like us who are visiting family that live at Leisure World in Seal Beach. The motel has a Huntington Beach address, but it is really in Sunset Beach, just south of the Naval Weapons Depot, so it is close to Seal Beach and Long Beach, as well as points south.
I think I forgot to mention that the beach is a short walk away. Even if you can't "view" it from the Oceanview Motel, it is there!

Room Tip: If you want an "oceanview," try room 311.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

The first thing to say is that the name is misleading. Even Basil Fawlty with his telescope would have difficulty spotting the ocean from the third floor.
Having said that, there are a lot of bad reviews on here about the rooms and the staff but I had no problems at all. It's a motel, and it's better than a lot of chain motels I have stayed at in the past. Fridge, microwave, coffee in room (free popcorn!). Quick wifi with multiple locations. Clean rooms and bathrooms, and friendly staff.
It's not in Huntington beach, it's closer to Seal beach, but you can see that from the map. The area seems safe enough at night, there are a few bars and restaurants nearby. It's a short walk to sunset beach.
It's right on the highway, you you will get some traffic noise, but the windows are pretty sturdy.
All in all, I think this is great value (especially for OC) adn I'd definitelty recommend it for a cheap stay in a good area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We got this room bc there was a festival and this was the last place with one room left. Rate was only $65 bucks a night but the motel stunk and there was no toliet paper but the bathroom was very nice. Big shower new tile

• Stayed September 2011
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

The good: The staff, which seems to be composed of a family living on the ground floor of the motel, were friendly and provided some good restaurant recommendations. Nice amenities provided: free WiFi, decent cable lineup, mini-fridge, microwave, little basket of snacks (crackers, popcorn). Lots of space to store things in the room.

The not-so-good: My biggest complaint about this property is that they asked us to change rooms for the second night of our stay, despite the fact we had booked two nights in advance. We weren't comfortable leaving our luggage in the new room while it was being cleaned, as we noticed the doors in the unoccupied suites seem to be left open all day (perhaps to air them out?) and felt more secure leaving the luggage in the car. At least they have an elevator, but this was an inconvenience.

Also, in our second room, the housekeeper left behind a dirty rag. The sheets on the bed seemed to be smaller than the bed size. And as you might expect from a motel facing the PCH, there is a lot of traffic noise. Bring earplugs.

While it is not a place I'd necessarily return, but it suited us just fine for an inexpensive, short-term stay close to the beach.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Bernardino CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Let's face it, who can afford to stay at the Hyatt or Hilton in Huntington Beach? Even the Sun and Sands Motel is over $100 a night! The Oceanview Motel was fine. The room was clean, it didn't smell bad, it smelled clean. The bathroom was clean, the sheets and bed covers were clean and very colorful! The lady at the front desk was very nice and even gave my husband, who is a smoker, an ash tray to use outside the room (we asked for a nonsmoking room). We didn't care if we could see the ocean or not, we knew we were close to it. I am a travel agent and I stay at alot of different hotels and motels and The Oceanview Motel is a good deal for what you are paying for. It's not fancy, there is no continental breakfast, but it was clean, it was quiet, and the people running it were nice. It was nothing like the previous reviews said it was. The rooms are small, but we were still able to get our bikes on the elevator and inside our room, and we still had room to move around. We would definitely stay there again and as a travel agent, I would recommend it to my budget minded clients.

Room Tip: Don't expect the Hyatt for a motel price
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
NE Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

I read all the negative reviews about this place, and I suppose if you're the Pierponts, and have more money than God, you should stay at a "ritzier" place. I don't have money. This place came up on Expedia, and I booked it first, then read the reviews later. I was a little nervous about the stay, but am now quite content. All of the comments about the staff here, I feel, are unfair. It's a family that stays here, and runs the place. I needed contact solution, and the lady at the front desk, offered to drive up to the pharmacy and get it for me, which she did. That's service. Everything that I needed, I got. Hair-dryer, extra pillows, resaraunt recommendations. The place isn't the Beverly Hilton, but it's not $1000 per night either. The "Ocean View" is a brief shot, between houses on the beach side of the street. The public access beach point is about a block and a half down, but so what?! It's just south of Seal Beach, which has an INCREDIBLE beach. (The Public Beach here is Ok, but not stunning Seal Beach is stunning) It's close to a lot of eateries. I would recommend this place. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
henderson nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

We booked our reservations online for this hotel. When we arrived at the hotel we noticed a great amount of the room doors were open. From the street, this looked as though the rooms were occupied and nobody had air conditioning. We parked and went into the office to check in. The gentleman gave us a room key and said that the door to our room was open and to just "go on up". I reserved a room with a jetted tub, and the room we were given did not have one. Back to the office, I showed the man our printed reservation and asked for a room with a jetted tub. He was polite, apologized and gave us the key to room 205. Again, we walked up and the door was open, as were every door to every vacant room. We inspected the room and seen that it was what we had reserved on the internet.

With all of that said, I would like to point out that the room was overpriced by about 50%. Although this hotel is in the vacinity of the beach, it is nowhere near the beach. We had to cross a busy 5 lane road to get across the street. Then be prepared for about a 1 mile hike to get anywhere near the beach. As for an ocean view, from room 205 if you look west between the palm tree and the light pole, past the tan house and yellow house then to the left of the pine tree that sits in front of those houses....you can just catch a glimpse of water!!

Their web site said "continental breakfast"...that wasnt true. When we went to check out, the office smelled of ramen noodles left to boil dry. There was coffee, but nothing else. I was a bit alarmed by the fact that there were people sleeping in two cars the following morning.

As for the room itself, this is an old hotel...circa 1978 perhaps. The "jetted tub" was that 70's blue color and I would assume that the tub was perhaps original to the room. The room had a fresh coat of paint, a new mattress and box spring as well as new light fixtures. The toilet was fairly new as well. This room was made for a full/queen size bed at most. There was a king size bed in the room which made absolutely no room for much else. The table, 2 chairs, and dresser/night stands were beat to hell as far as condition goes. The carpet could use a good steam cleaning. There was a distance of about 18 inches from the foot of the bed to the dresser. If a person in a wheel chair were in this room, they could not manuver.

If you are looking for that all over body exfoliation, the shower in this room is just the thing!! I honestly believe the force from the shower removed several layers of skin when I stepped in front of it. The room lacked in decor, there was a mirror over the dresser in plain view of the bed, nothing over the bed and a picture hung ajacent to the bathroom door....wierd.

Towels were in short supply, for two people, there were 2 bath towels, two hand towels and two wash cloths. Not to mention the dirty yellowed towel that the maid missed on the shelf above the closet section of the bathroom. ( On one wall of the bathroom hung a bar from a closet with a shelf above) The shower curtain was way too small for the size of the tub. The opening for the tub was approx 6 feet and the shower curtain covered about 4 feet.

To sum this property up, It lacked curb appeal, having the doors open on all vacant rooms was a bit unnerving as anything, can come into the rooms ( bugs, animals, unwanted individuals, bums) house keeping was lax and there was no donut for me in the morning!

My personal advice is to consider other properties for the price.... This one is just not worth spending money on.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Read the review
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Oceanview Motel? Share your experiences!