“Kids Camp is a Blast!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics, Adventure
Activities: Surfing
More attraction details
Owner description: Corky Carroll's Surf School is a 2nd generation family owned surf school. We offer private and group lessons as well as a weekly surf camp.
Houston, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Kids Camp is a Blast!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is the 2nd summer I have brought my son to this beach camp. He went last year and definitely wanted to return. He just turned 15 years old.
The instructions on how to get there (with a very helpful photo online of the signal where you turn left), where to park, are clear. There is a large pop-up with "Registration" labeled on it. The kids are all assembled together where they are given clear rules, guidelines, told to "apply sunnblock!" every hour, and given the days agenda. The parents at this time are usually separated off and given the "parent instructions" for any interactive parenting that you might be inclined to perform. Such as..."When you see your child struggling to carry her surfboard....DO NOT run up to help!! Please let us handle it!" Good advice because many of the parents (of especially of the youngest age groups) stay the half or whole day watching their child, taking photos, etc. You could have lunch with your child but usually my child prefers to stay within his group and ignore me.
Usually they have one hour in the water as a group, and then one hour out, learning about safety, keeping the beaches clean, or hanging out together. The instructors seem to sometimes rotate to each group which helps everyone feel comfortable with each other. They do not let you out to the waves until you perform a list of competencies in the water. The leader of the group paddles out with them all in a group, or swims out with them. They try the waves and then paddle back out to the group. One note...the water temperature is about 62 degrees and the spring wet suits they provide are good, but I managed to snag a full wetsuit on sale which my son used very thankfully since he is quite slim. One note...bring some baby powder to sprinkle inside the wetsuit; under arms, neck, and between the legs to prevent chafing.
My son has food allergies (I packed his lunch), asthma, and did not grow up swimming in the ocean. I felt very comfortable leaving him there the entire day. He met some new friends, gained some muscles, and became a total beach boy in one week. Well worth the $$; it's the true California surfing experience.

Newport Beach, California, United States
“The best experience EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I think I'm on cloud 9 after today! This was probably one of the coolest things I have ever done! The staff was outstanding and my instructor was so helpful and very knowledgable... He taught me how to navigate the ocean, which made me feel way more comfortable. He was so patient with me and gave me some awesome pointers! I love that the lesson was only an hour long and I got so much out of it; by the end of the lesson I was startinhg to stand up... I'm definitely going to take another lesson the next time I'm in Huntington Beach!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Excellent surf school for beginners!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We would like to thank Corky Carroll's surf school for an excellent experience! Keith and the entire staff were exceptionally friendly.

Our instructer Kallan (sp?) was fantastic. The 3 of us had never been surfing and he was very thorough and patient throughout the lesson. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a fun and relaxed way to learn how to surf!

Orlando, Florida
“Bucket list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I went to camp with my 12 year old son and had such a great time. A perfect Father son bonding session. I would definitely recommend this surf school. The management is dedicated to ensure a fun but SAFE time. The appointment staff was very friendly and helpful. The instructors are very patient and made us feel very comfortable.
I liked it so much that I took my wife to the Surf school in Costa Rica. It was a perfect getaway for both of us. We will be going back again and again.

Visited August 2011
Incline Village, Nevada
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I just took a lesson with my 12 year old daughter and had such a great time. I would definitely recommend these guys to anyone. The staff was very friendly and had us comfortable in the water in no time. Our instructor was very patient and helpful. The best part is they use real surfboards and got us away from the crowds in Huntington. Can't wait to try it again!

Visited May 2012