“The Reviews Were Definitely Right!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Save Saved
You added Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   500 Pacific Coast Highway, 5th & PCH, Huntington Beach, CA 92648   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
20% Discount
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Huntington Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“The Reviews Were Definitely Right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

After reading all the reviews and researching other hotels, I decided to stay at the Shorebreak Hotel. It was fabulous! The front desk attendees could not have been more courteous and helpful. They were always smiling. I loved the fact that the hotel entrance was located on the 2nd floor - don't worry, there are two elevators to take you up and down to the main lobby. The hotel is modern and beautiful. Beautiful walls, beautiful wood furniture, flat screen TV, upscale toiletries, and beautiful bathroom with an immense tub. There were even bathrobes and an in-room safe. My room extremely quiet and peaceful-just what I was looking for. The bed was heavenly. You will not regret splurging on an ocean view room. And speaking of the ocean, what an excellent view! I loved the fact that the room had a balcony that was private; you couldn't see your neighbors and they couldn't see you! I loved opening the balcony door, even at 3am, and looking out at the ocean. I also liked the fact that the room had a screened window that slides open. My room faced Pacific Coast Highway, so traffic noise was not unexpected. I'm a city girl, so it bother me. However, once you close the window and balcony door, you don't hear a thing! This hotel is steps to shops and restaurants. There's a small coffee shop (Sertino's right across the street) along with a Johnny Rockets. There's a sushi bar around the corner and an excellent little taco place (Sancho's) right up the street. There are also larger restaurants (Fred's and Duke's). There's even a cupcake shop across from the hotel! There's a Crocs store, a 7-Eleven, and even a CVS--a very convenient area. Although I did not dine in the hotel restaurant, I did order breakfast. Delicious and delivered with a smile! This is a very upscale area and I felt very safe. I rented a bike from a place on the beach and took a wonderful ride on a path on the beach. I will definitely choose the Shorebreak Hotel for a future visit! I have one small suggestion: please provide a menu for the Zimzala restaurant in your hotel rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2011
Dear McHarvard,

You should write our Marketing collateral!! Thank you so much for the comments regarding your stay with us here at Shorebreak. I think I am going to frame this one. As a management team we truly have employees who care, which makes our jobs so much easier. Not to mention a great location. You really put a smile on everyone's face with these comments. Thank you so much.

Be sure to try out one of our other Joie De Vivre Hotels. You will not be dissappointed.

From,

Assistant General Manager

643 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

We absolutely loved this hotel, the room was so comfortable, we had an ocean view and it was totally worth it! The restaurant, Zimzala, has good food, a little pricey for what it is, but the calamari and ice cream are especially good.

We only found two negatives with the hotel, you have to valet park, and thats $24 a day. People have mentioned that on here before. The second thing is that internet is $10/day per computer or device. That gets really expensive fast. I think hotels should obviously be giving out internet for free, but thats just another way for them to make money off of you, I suppose.

Other than those couple of things, we loved the hotel and would stay there again if needed! I can understand totally why it is #1 in huntington beach. It's in a much better location than the Hyatt and Hilton which I was also looking at prior to our trip. The staff were all nice and accommodating. The pictures on here didnt do it justice, so glad that we made this decision!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Adventx2,

Thank you for the honest feedback regarding your experience here at the Shorebreak. We really appreciate critical feedback because it only enables us to make things better for our guests. By now you have probably figured out that we have a lot of comments regarding the charge for parking and internet. The parking price is set due to the fact that we sit on a city owned garage. Even our employees get charged. Therefore we just cannot afford to give out free parking. As for the internet, we have done surveys of the surrounding 4-star hotels and found that our interenet pricing is right in line with the neighboring hotels. There are so many things we have changed because of guest feedback over the past two years, but 2 things we really do not have a lot of control over is internet and parking. I sure hope you understand.

Thanks again for all the feedback from the restaurant to the staff and the location.

From,

Assistant General Manager
Orange County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

This place is great. Food is great, atmosphere is great. We loved it!!!
Cell phone reception with Sprint and T-Mobile was spotty inside.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear PTwice,

What a short sweet review of our hotel!

What else can I say but thank you for these strong words of encouragement? Reviews like this we post for all the employees to see. As a team we always strive to do better and reviews like this help.

Deepest thanks from all of us here at Shorebreak.

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Shorebreak for 3 nigths in the end of January, and just loved it. Trendy, laid back and simply gorgeous. We stayed in room 223 which have a large patio, facing the beach and Huntington Pier. The room was spacious, with a lovely marble bath and all the amenities you could wish for. They also have a great restaurant called Zimzala, with excellent food and fantastic service. Well worth a try!! We have prviously stayed at the Hyatt in Huntington, which was ok, but Shorebreak is in a leaugue of its own. I can highly recommend this hotel for all kinds of travellers, and would be happy to return on a later occation.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear jiverse,

I actually remember you and your partner. We deal with so many people on a day to day basis, but I was so happy to see that you wrote a review of the hotel. Room 223 is one of my favorite rooms in the hotel, specifically because of the balcony. I wish all the rooms here had balconies that size. If you ever come back, you have to make sure to ask for one ahead of time because they are in very high demand.

Once again, thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. We hope to see you again on your next vacation.

Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Desk staff, food service staff and bartenders & servers were all extremely courteous, kind, and attentive.,,,,and sincere! Immaculate lobby, common areas and guest rooms. Perhaps these were off-season rates, but a huge value, given the primo accommodations and service. I will be back, and will direct all my friends and co-workers.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear accommo,

I have to say, gracious comments regarding our staff are so exhilerating. The one thing we pride ourselves on at Shorebreak is the fact that our staff does everything within reason to make our guests feel welcome and important. This will be posted in our breakroom for everyone to see. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and I hope you will follow through on your word and come stay with us again soon.

Highlands Ranch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

1. Great location - right on PCH across from the beach. No street front access - must take elevator up to hotel lobby.

2. Clean/Modern rooms - Very clean rooms

3. A bit cheap - the decor in the rooms/restrooms/hotel is noticeably cheap and will wear easily.

4. Thin walls - this is a very noisy hotel. We had to turn the HVAC fan on in order to drown out basic hotel noise that is normally filtered.

5. Friendly staff

6. Parking is expensive - $18 a day valet

7. Great/Hip restaurant

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Dear tboz1976,

Just wanted to send you a quick thank you for giving us feedback regarding your stay with us here at Shorebreak. I especially like the fact that you mentioned out "exclusive' entrance. We like the fact that guests can escape just by going up one floor. I have taken the liberty of sharing your review with the entire staff.

Again, thank you for staying at a Joie De Vivre Hotel and we hope to see you again really soon.

Seal Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Yes, this hotel is modern. Yes, this hotel has an outstanding location. But for my husband and myself it was awful. We had to pay extra for parking. The hotel room was teeny. The cost of the room was outrageous. We moved to a Best Western and were much happier in every way.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Dear pebbers2,

Thank you for submitting a review with trip advisor. We appreciate honest candid feedback from our former guests. I completely understand that Shorebreak may have not been the hotel for you. We do our best to make every guest's stay a memorable experience, but we also know that the vibe we project is not for everyone.

You mentioned that you and your husband had an awful experience?? If you would like to elaborate, please feel free to contact me. I would really like to hear more about your experience with us.

Sincere apologies,

Hotel Manager

Been to Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!