“Best hotel in Huntington Beach!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

You added Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   500 Pacific Coast Highway, 5th & PCH, Huntington Beach, CA 92648   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% Off
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Huntington Beach
San Francisco
“Best hotel in Huntington Beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Perfect location, you're in the heart of HB, comfy beds, spacious rooms, stylish lobby and rooms, AMAZING BATHROOM, great staff and very fun bar with balcony overlooking 5th St. So glad I picked this hotel. My coworkers stayed at the Hyatt and while the grounds are gorgeous there, you have to hike to your room and you're so far from everything. I loved my stay at The Shorebreak!

• Stayed January 2014
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear jtwig,

Thank you so much for your awesome review! I believe our location is the best in Huntington Beach for an all inclusive dining and shopping experience. I'm also very glad that you loved the bathroom! Did your room have one of our deep soaking tubs? If not, I highly recommend asking our Front Desk staff about them upon your next stay. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is eco friendly, clean and beautiful, the location is ideal. There is a bar and WiFi area right inside hotel. The beds are very comfortable, room service had good food as well.
Only con with my experience was the hotel trying to charge me for internet I didn't use and the front desk people can be a bit snooty.

• Stayed February 2013
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Natty P,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our property. i'd like to apologize about the experience that you have had with our front desk agents. We pride ourselves on our customer service and general attitude of our staff. I'd really like to follow up with this issue to see if we can re-create your experience here at Shorebreak. Please write to me at mransom@communehotels.com so i can learn a little bit more.

Aside from that, i'm really pumped that you liked our property and i look forward to seeing you in the future.

Ponder, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Very nice beach themed hotel located within steps of the Huntington Beach Pier. I had a conference in Anaheim and decided to fly in a day early to hang out at the beach. Huntington Beach is about a 25 minute drive from John Wayne Airport. Room was very spacious, clean, and the queen bed for so comfy. Loved the modern décor and layout of the walk in shower. Hotel has parking garage which it was cheaper to valet than self park. Hotel has fire pits and table/chairs at night in their courtyard area to enjoy the evening. Several places to eat, shops, CVS pharmacy within walking distance. I enjoyed watching the surfers and the beautiful weather. I got a great hotel rate on Expedia. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear SDKennedy,

Thank you so much for your nice words about our property. I'm super glad you enjoyed Huntington Beach. Next time you decide to stay with us, we would be more than happy to honor your rate directly through the hotel! Just give us a call when you find a good rate online and our reservations team will do the rest! Thank you so much!

Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Shorebreak Hotel in Huntington Beach. The location and setting are just a bit awkward but the designers and architects have done wonders to turn this into a nearly boutique hotel kind of experience in a larger setting.

The valet parking is handy but it is also pricey. Kind of expected for such a great location -- just across the street from The Huntington Beach Pier and sand.

Surprising to us were two things -- the immense size of our suite and the wonderful dining options in the restaurant. Our suite was enormous. The bath area alone included a two-person shower, a full bath, large and well-lit areas. We had a balcony and two large-screen TVs.

The staff is superb! Very well trained and wonderfully focused on customer comforts.

Would definitely stay here again. Cosy and yet so very roomy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear tpmedia,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so excited that you loved our property. I really am a personal fan of the boutique style property, and i'm really happy you like it too. Our interior designer was awesome! She made all the common areas and guest rooms look very unique and chic. Our Epic ballrooms where we have our group meetings looks awesome as well. I hope to see you back soon in the coming months!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Awesome location, walking distance from great shops, restaurants, and the beach. I loved the modern, yet cozy decor in the lobby and in our suite. I was surprised by the size of our room given the boutique style and close proximity to the beach. I will certainly return to this hotel the next time I want a little getaway from Los Angeles.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kauai, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Great spot for a weekend getaway but make sure you know what you're paying for. This is not a luxury hotel and it does not have luxury amenities. This is casual chic, very beachy, and very much geared towards surfers and pet owners. The restaurant was just ok, nothing very interesting on the menu to speak of. Lots of shopping nearby and some decent places to get a drink but everything is mass market so be ready for it. No artisan type bars/restaurants/shops in this part of Huntington, we're talking Dukes, Johnny Rockets, etc. I took my fiancee for one night to celebrate her birthday and we had a blast but we didn't expect Huntington to look like Abbot Kinney. Also note- the surf at Huntington is famous because of the contests which have been held there and the iconic pier, not because of the actual surf. As a surf spot it is very fickle based on shifting sand bars and very crowded so if you're a beginner this is not your spot. On very small days it might be fine for beginners but anything over waist high and you are just going to be in the way and likely get dirty looks at the very least. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from surfing there, just want folks to know what they're in for.

One thing I need to mention is that I had several packages sent from Amazon directly to the hotel and the folks at the front desk were nice enough to set those aside for us and handed them over when we checked in. I would have preferred if the boxes were sent up to the room ahead of us but again, don't mistake this for a luxury hotel because it mostly definitely is not.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms have a great view but lots of street noise from PCH, garden view room may be a bett...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mrrbluewater,

Thank you so much for your words about our property. Here at Shorebreak, we pride ourselves on our luxury service we offer for our guests. I can't agree more with our location. We pride ourselves on having the best location in Huntington Beach. The Shorebreak is a boutique style hotel with emphasis with our one-on-one interactions.

I apologize for the packages you had delivered to us were not set into your room prior to arrival. I've spoken with my front desk staff and are coming up with better ideas on how to improve that aspect of our customer service.

Hope to see you back soon.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

My wife and I checked in for a 4 day vacation with my mother and brother in law.

The good: staff are incredibly friendly, ( although all he staff must if been in their 20's) location is fantastic, the rooms are huge, the hotel is very clean, and the atmosphere is wonderful - very relaxed and the place is dog friendly which is great.

The bad: nearly $20 a day for internet. I just tethered off my phone and the valet parking at $27 a day. So make sure you budget those things into your stay. Overall the stay certainly wasn't super cheap, but also not crazy expensive.

I would certainly recommend this place, and as a passionate surfer myself I loved waking up and taking a wall down to the pier to see the waves. I flew all the way from Australia and I was not disappointed.

I would certainly come back.

Stayed January 2014
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Benjamintrinh,

Thank you so much for your review of our property. I'd like to apologize that the price of internet and valet wasn't what you would expect. We pride ourselves on our valet staff to be as professional and as efficient as possible to try and make every cent count. When you sign up for our Joy Of Life club, one of the perks of being a member is that you get complementary internet. Upon your next stay with us, i'd love to sign you up for it.

i'm so happy that you tried our out foreign waves and were not disappointing. It is always awesome to hear that someone from another continent would fly in just to experience our waves. Australia is on my all-time favorite list of places to go!

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!