“Incredible location and staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Save Saved
You added Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   500 Pacific Coast Highway, 5th & PCH, Huntington Beach, CA 92648   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
20% Discount
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Grass Valley, California
“Incredible location and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We would stay here again as long as we don't have to pay the rack rates. We loved everything about this beachy hotel and staff. You couldn't get a better location to walk everywhere. It felt the like the Waikiki Parc hotel which is sister hotel to the Halekulani Wakiki. Just hoping you get the same weather. As June and July can be gloomy.

• Stayed July 2013
Helen B, Front Office Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear bobalou19,
Thank you for the kind comments about our hotel and the comparison to the Waikiki Parc. We wake up here every day hoping for great weather, it’s very unpredictable but we always hope for the best. I hope we see you here again when you are next in town.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here as the first part of our vacation and had a descent experience. First off, this hotel is so centrally located that you can easily make a quick stop back at the room if you are around town during the day. The staff is great and made us feel relaxed.

However, I will echo the sentiment of another reviewer that the wifi was beyond horrendous. Also, we did not receive our welcome glass of wine for being joy of life members, which was a bit disappointing since I was looking forward to that after a long day of travel.

I would stay here again, just plan on coming for the location and plan on using the Internet not in your hotel room.

• Stayed July 2013
Catherine S, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hello Waterchick84,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel and staff. We are definitely blessed to be in the location we are and to have so many amazing people that work here. We love being able to absorb the culture you see out in Huntington Beach and bring it all indoors as the Shorebreak Hotel. As for the internet issues that you experienced during your stay, it is an issue that we are currently working on and hope to improve upon soon. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Catherine Sobral
Front Desk Supervisor
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in June as a couple.

Valet and check-in were fine, the girl on reception was very pleasant when checking us in. The hotel was apparently fully booked when we arrived so we were on the 3rd floor with a view of the garden area.

The room was smaller than I expected it to be, we had 2 large suitcases and didn't really have anywhere to store them. There's was one small closet with little hanging or storage space. There was a small desk area next to the TV which made the room even more cramp. Strangely enough, the bathroom was very spacious. Much bigger than the average hotel bathroom which was weird considering the actual room was so small.

The hotel gym was also small, only 5 or so machines to use. Not much space to do any floor exercises.

The outside area of the hotel was very nice, there were 3 firepits which were lit at around 5pm. We enjoyed having a glass of complimentry wine and sitting by the fire (there's a wine hour for guests everyday at 5pm). Order the cheese board from the restaurant to enjoy with your wine!The annoying thing was that out of the 4 nights we were there, for 3 nights this outside area was closed after 6pm for 'private functions'. This was very disappointing, as a paying guest I would expect to have full use of the hotels facilities.

I was very suprised that there was no free wi-fi in the hotel, not even in the hotel lobby! I've stayed in a hotel without free wifi in the lobby. If you need internet access you can go to the business centre and gain access for 20 minutes for free.

It was my husband's birthday during our stay, so in the morning I requested for a cake to be sent to our room at 6pm when we returned to our room. When we actually returned, there was no cake to be seen, reception had forgotten about it so I called to remind them and it was sent up 30 minutes later.

We ate at the restaurant on my husband's birthday, the food was good but overpriced. I ordered the duck which was ok, we had the Campfire thing for dessert which was awful - way too sweet for my liking.

The location of the hotel can't be beaten, it's right on the Pacific Coast Highway opposite the beach. Valet is very expensive ($24) but I couldn't find alternative parking anywhere, the public carpark next to the hotel charge around $20 as well!

After reading the great reviews on here I was looking forward to staying at this hotel during our tour of California. However, I was a little underwhelmed by it all to be honest. Maybe my expectations were too high. We were on our honeymoon and stayed in 8 hotels in California/Hawaii over 3 weeks and this was the only hotel which didn't recognise the fact that it was our honeymoon. Every other hotel congratulated us when we checked-in at the very least. I was disappointed with the hotel staff considering they've been praised so highly on here by other guests. There isn't a massive choice of hotels in Huntington Beach, so maybe that's why Shorebreak is ranked so highly on here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hello r17byx,

Thank you for choosing the Shorebreak Hotel as one of the hotels you visited on your honeymoon. It sounds like it was quite a trip from the UK to so many destinations in California and Hawaii. California and Hawaii have beautiful landscapes and I am glad that we were able to be a part of your romantic adventure. The atmosphere of Huntington beach can definitely play to both, and we are lucky to have our location right in the midst of it all. I would really like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at our hotel and that we did not acknowledge your special occasion. The Shorebreak is known for there customer service and attention to detail and I am so sorry that you did not have the experience that you were expecting. I know that the UK is a ways away from California, but I hope that on your next visit you will give us another try and let us dazzle you with what we can really do. I hope that your trip home went well and that we will see you again in the near future should you choose to return. If and when you do, please reach out to me, I would love to assist you in your arrangements.

Warm Regards,

Catherine Sobral
Front Desk Supervisor
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had a SoCal trip booked, and knew I needed to be in Orange County the next day after meetings in San Diego. While I could have stayed in Irvine land-locked with traffic etc., I decided I wanted to check-out what was on the water side.

Not kidding you, same price per night as the Hampton Inn in Irvine/Foothill Ranch that I've stayed at before (isn't anything to write home about).

I valet, and multiple hotel staff were there helping and proactively making sure I had everything I needed. Check-in, and the front desk were very nice, quick and told me about the lounge/restaurant closing in 30 mins. I hadn't had dinner, so I ran up to drop bags and wash my hands, etc. so I could grab a bite to eat. I guess it's pretty slow on a Wednesday, because the kitchen had already closed. The front desk recommended Ra, because it was still open I'm thinking (mostly). It was fine, but I've eaten at one in Atlanta & they aren't anything special.

The room had a laid-back surfer vibe without being campy or cheesy. Bean bags on the floor, extremely comfortable bed, great bathroom with plenty of room & open glass shower. Their toiletries are the "Lather" brand, and they were a nice touch as well.

I ordered an omelet for room service with coffee, as I had a few conference calls to get through before checking out. Super fast, great food and presentation. Definitely one of the best room service breakfasts I may have ever had.

The location is literally "in" The Strand complex. You cannot stay any closer to the Huntington Beach Pier than Shorebreak. I will absolutely try to book this hotel again when I'm in Southern California. It beats a generic business hotel, any day!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Helen B, Front Office Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear ladybugkim,
I am happy you decided to check out the coast of the OC and got to experience the Shorebreak Hotel. You definitely picked a good spot to experience what Huntington Beach has to offer with Main Street and the beach not far away, there is not much more you could ask for in location. I am sorry that you did not get a chance to experience Zimzala’s atmosphere for dinner, I hope on your next stay with us you will, room service is only a taste of what we have to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to the OC coast when you next come down from Seattle.

Brea, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I say it was hiding in plain sight because I've lived in Orange County for 30 years and gone up and down Main Street in Huntington Beach hundreds of times without knowing that this gem of a hotel is just on the next street over. We stayed there for a "stay-cation" one weekend and had a wonderful experience. You can't beat the location, with lots of retail all around and, of course, the ocean and the pier less than a block away. The hotel is dog-friendly, so we brought ours and had a fun stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear ScottM92821,
So glad that you finally found us and decided to have your “stay-cation” here. Our location is our number one selling point, who can beat being walking distance to all the restaurants on Main Street or our beautiful beach and pier. I am happy you were able to bring your dogs with you, I hope you found time to take them down to the dog beach so they could frolic in the ocean with the others. Next time you need another vacation and don’t want to go far, think of us!

Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This place is a gem. Join the joy of life club and get free wifi, newspaper, and a welcome gift (we got a bottle of Chardonnay). Our room had two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Very spacious. Nice patio with two tables and eight chairs but the patio is closed in with a high wall and no view. Friendly staff. They have beach towels, umbrellas, and chairs at the front desk. Free wine 5-6 everyday. Great happy hour 3-7 everyday. If you don't want maid service you get a $5 gift card at the bar/restaurant each day. We will be back.

Dear scottstraveler,
Glad you got some time to get away from the heat of Arizona and enjoy the coastal breezes we have here in Huntington Beach. I am happy to hear that you will be back to stay with us again and enjoy all our amenities.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Just had the opportunity to stay here for the first time after several trips to Huntington Beach - wish I had done it sooner. The location is perfect and the ambiance of Surf City is reflected in Shorebreak to a T. Plus being a weekly business traveler - what is most important to me - it was extremely clean. Also everyone was friendly and helpful. Valet your car and enjoy free wine from 5-6 in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2013
Helen B, Front Office Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear santogim,

I am glad to hear that you got to finally try us out and I hope that you will think of us the next time you are over this way on business. Our location is a key seller for us, its great having the beach right at your doorstep. Even if you are here on business and working all day, the evenings by beach are great for just watching the sunsets or going for a stroll. Our décor is definitely incorporating the Surf City feel of HB, we like to blend into our environment. We look forward to you staying with us again on your next trip.

Front Office Manager

Been to Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!