“I wish we could move in!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

You added Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   500 Pacific Coast Highway, 5th & PCH, Huntington Beach, CA 92648   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% Off
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Denver, Colorado
“I wish we could move in!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was our second stay at the Shorebreak; we have family in the area, and were looking for a place to stay in the Main St. area during the holidays - we chose the Shorebreak last year based on reviews here, and it definitely has lived up to its ratings! We loved it so much that we returned again this year. When I called to reserve our room this year, I told the operator that we loved our room we had last year (in the back, facing the mountains, top floor) - he pulled up our reservation from last year, and offered us the same room! We love it - quiet, great view - I saw that other reviews mentioned hearing a system "hum" and closing doors from these back city/mountain -facing rooms, but these did not disturb us at all (and I am a very light sleeper!). The rooms are what I would call "classy surf decor"; you can really tell that they have carefully thought of every detail. The beds and bedding are incredibly comfortable - may be the best hotel bed I've ever slept in. The room we had was small, but very functional, and the bathroom was big! Love the huge showers with the glass half-door - took a little getting used to, but I can see where it would be great for washing down beach wear after a day on the sand, or washing off a dog! Speaking of dogs, this is hands down the best dog-friendly hotel we have ever stayed in. Not only do they NOT charge extra for dogs (Hate that! People who travel with dogs train their dogs to behave on the road! Why do other chains do this? Grrrr!), they personally greet your dogs, offer them treats, and dogs can even sit on the patio at the restaurant (wonderful!). Our dogs love this place, and we met many other nice dogs there. The hotel is perfectly located, directly across from the pier and beach, and right in the center of the Main St. shops and restaurants. You can walk to everything! Great coffee place right across the street. The staff at the Shorebreak are awesome - you know a hotel is really exceptional when you see many of your favorite staff still there a year later! They even remembered us! A tip to those who are thinking of a vacation here - this is a wonderful place to stay in the off-season, during the winter holidays. The hotel is very festively decorated, and the weather is usually fine. Even if it rains, it is still in the 60's , which is probably delightful for those who come from the snowy climates. We sat out on the patio in the sunshine at Zimzala (the restaurant) this year and last, on Christmas Eve! Last year temps were in the 70's! The Main St. area and beach are much less crazy-crowded in winter, and you can still bike, roller blade, go the the Dog Beach, walk on the pier - just about everything except maybe swim at the beach (water is too cold this time of year - you could surf in a wetsuit though!). The hotel does not have a pool, but this does not seem to be a deficit. The fire pit courtyard area is lovely. We did not use the gym, and we have not stayed in the ocean-front rooms -I know some have recommended splurging on an upgrade to ocean-front, but this may not be worth it if traffic noise on PCH would bother you. The room rates are a bargain in winter! The only negative is the rates for parking - the hotel says they are required by the city, but it is annoying. However, this is minor; overall, I cannot recommend this place highly enough! Wonderful vibe, great decor, great amenities, love the toiletries (the bath soap smells so wonderful!) great staff, fantastic restaurant, perfect location, very clean! I have joked with my husband that I wish we could move in here. If the rooms had full kitchenettes (ours had a refrigerator, which was fine), we could live here!

Room Tip: Winter off-season rates are a bargain - area is quieter, and the weather is often great! Rooms in ba...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Dreamer1999,

Happy Holidays to you too! It is our pleasure to be your home away from home during the holidays. Many thanks from the entire staff for posting such an awesome review. We do appreciate all of the compliments you mentioned. I am a huge fan of our beds too. Not too firm and not too soft. As we get into our fourth year of operation we are seeing more and more families return during the holidays because they have relatives in the area. I am sure if you come back again next year, you might start to recognize some of those people. It was an absolute pleasure in serving you during the holidays. We sure hope to see you again next year and who knows, we may remember you once again. Keep Dreaming!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My family of three stayed in this hotel for two days this week. The location is perfect, with everything within easy walking distance in downtown HB. The rooms are smaller but clean, with large bathrooms and that was nice for a family of three staying in the 'suite'. We asked for a two room 'suite' but what we got was a partition wall between the very small living room and the bedroom. That wasn't a big deal, but just be aware. The issue if why I docked them a star is because they really lacked attention to detail at check in, etc. We very clearly checked in with three people (only people standing at check in...all interacting) and said we would be using the pull out couch for our teenager. They failed to mention that there wouldn't be any linens or pillows for the pull out, and my daughter was stuck sleeping with our shared pillows with the mattress pad for a blanket the first night. thankfully she's a heavy sleeper! When we went to complain the next morning, the desk staff told us we were supposed to request linens for the beds, they don't know we need them unless we request. REALLY! So..we asked for the bed to made up that day, but then they only put down sheets, no pillows and no blankets. We had to ask for that to be brought up. Maybe a ploy to get you to tip more to the delivery staff? After that debacle, I would have assumed they would have at the least comped us a meal or drinks, but all we got was a sorry excuse as it was our responsibility to ask for linens for a family of three in a one bedroom suite with a pull out couch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear texas_traveler750,

Thank you for posting a good star rating and review of our hotel suring your stay in December. But to be honest, I am a little worried about the issue you had with us and I want to sincerely apologize for it. It is our intention to never really expect a guest to need to request things when they are in your situation. I have already taken the liberty of meeting with every front desk agent about your scenario to ensure that THEY need to be proactive and ask if the guest needs the sofabed made up. I am so sorry and I appreiate you sharing this information with us. If you did not say anything we would have never known. We apprecite it more than you know. I have also gone through some training with the housekeeping staff on what they should be leaving for a guest who has their sofa bed made up. I assure you this will not happen again.

We sure hope you enjoyed the holidays and once again please accept my humble apology.

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We really enjoyed our week long stay at this property. Felt like we really got to know the ins and outs of the place. We had an ocean view suite. It was very spacious and clean. We loved the amenities the property had. The outdoor fire pits were great! The location cannot get any better. They made our dog feel very welcome as well. We were able to dine twice in the restaurant. If I were to say a couple things that need to be worked on is housekeeping. While they did a fabulous job they came EARLY! Before 9am they were knocking on the door. I guess it was our fault not having our "do not disturb" sign up but the day before they didnt come till the early afternoon. The other thing that was hte bigges pain in the but is where the light switches are located to turn of the bed light. You seriously have to climb out of bed and reach to the sky for the little knobs. Oh, 1 other thing- the coffee makers SUCK big time. Thankfully there are many coffee shops to walk to. Im only mentioning the negatives for the picky people out there. We have stayed at the nearby Hyatt which I would say was TOP NOTCH But I would say overall it was fabulous and the location to town was better.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite or view otherwise your looking at some very run down buildings.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AJ,

I just had some to catch up and read about your experience here at Shorebreak. It means a lot to get critical feedback about people stays because that is the only way we can make things better. I have taken the liberty of speaking with housekeeping about the early knocking on an occupied room's door. Also the notes regarding the coffee maker and lighting have been passed onto the General Manager for review. We are always looking to enhance our guest's stays and feedback like this really helps. We really appreciate you trying us out and hope to see you again really soon.

Shelton, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Shorebreak Hotel is the ultimate hangout for surfers (i.e., who say things like, “That knarley wave fully biffed my board on the rocks.”). But, it is not essential to be a surfer to enjoy your stay here (although it might help to be perpetually hip).

Strategically located at the foot of the Huntington Beach pier, The Shorebreak is perched on the top two floors of “The Strand,” a block of stores selling all-things active wear, various food stuffs and every surfing-related accoutrement ever invented.

As you might expect, the hotel’s public spaces are unapologetically modern with light and bright colors, ultra-contemporary artwork and simple furnishings with lots of angles. The lobby and adjoining restaurant exude a breezy casualness that melds perfectly with the laid back HB lifestyle and attitude.

The guest rooms also reflect this sensibility with white walls, platform beds (comfortable with high quality bedding) and minimalist wood furniture. Our room even had bean bag chairs! The spacious bathroom was unfussy with basic white-tiled floors and a large walk-in tiled shower. The youthful staff is energetic and eager to please.

You can choose one of the larger, full-service beach resorts nearby that provide more traditional 4-star luxury. Or, if you seek a more unique experience--or just want to “hang loose”—then immerse yourself into surfing culture and check out TSB (but check in, first).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MK2000,

What a great posting about our hotel. Much thanks from the staff here at Shorebreak and thank you for sharing your feddback regarding your stay with us. The wording in your review is fantastic, I wish I could write with that kind of vision. We appreciate all the compliments from the lobby, to the guest rooms and even the fact that you mentioned our staff. We will be posting this for all of our employees to see. Thanks again for the wonderful commnets and we sure hope to see you again really soon. Happy Holidays!

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The hotel is right at the end of the pier. Everything you would ever want is all within walking distance. I used valet parking and never used my car until I left to go home. Rooms are small but very clean except that housekeeping forgot to check the coffee maker. The prior tenant left the coffee pod in the maker. Who knows how long it was in there - yuk. Shower is huge but the shower head took some wiggling to get it to turn off. Great staff at the front desk. I asked them to bring my 9ft board up to my room and they did. When I went to check out the the bell girl asked why I didn't use the locking board rack down by the valet parking rather than bring it to my room. Duh, no one told me. Would have been good to know when I checked in. Overall, this was a great place to stay. All the stuff I mentioned is minor. I would stay there again next time I am in HB and the surf is up. They have a 10pm noise curfew for parties and for families with kids. Made it nicely quiet at night.

Room Tip: I had an inside court room facing the rising sun. It really warmed up nicely for sitting on the pat...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Surfr4evr,

I love you user name for this sight. Fits right in for Huntington Beach. I was sorry to hear that we had to bring your large surf board up to the room to take up space. We have taken the time to mention to all the desk clerks to make sure ALL guests are aware of the surf board locker in our lower lobby. Thanks for mentioning the staff, they really appreciate when someone recognizes their efforts. I will be sure to let you know the next time the surf gets big :), that way you can come stay with us again. Happy New Year!

Yorba Linda, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Growing up in Southern California I have always appreciated the laid back vibe of Huntington Beach over it's ritzier cousin Newport beach. In the past I have stayed at the Hyatt and enjoyed it however I was looking for a quick getaway with my husband in a place that welcomes dogs. I saw this hotel come up on a last minute deal with the Hotel tonight app. I booked it the same day for one night. Upon arrival we took a look at our room that faced the courtyard and longed for the ocean view we had seen on the way in. I asked the front desk if an upgrade was available and one was, for a pretty hefty price. I understand that hotels are out to gain as much revenue as possibel however when you have as many empty rooms as there were that night they could have easily given us a complimentary upgrade since it was our first stay and rooms were plentiful. We went ahead and paid the upgrade amount and were given a beautiful oceanfront room (Room 424) and the view was amazing. Later that evening we brought our dog and enjoyed the complimentary wine happy hour followed by a great dinner at Zimzala. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was truly nice and they were very welcoming with my dog. I would definately stay here again if the price was right. Do keep in mind that there is a charge to park but you probably won't need your car once you check in as the beach is right across the street and shopping and dining are a quick stroll away.

Room Tip: Splurge on the oceanfront if your budget allows
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear tricia28,

Just wanted to send out a quick thank you for posting about your experience at the Shorebreak. I am sorry you thought the upgrade was too expensive, but I was glad to hear that it paid off for you. We really appreciate the mention of Zimzala, which I think is our hidden gem on the property. The food is amazing. Hopefully we will see you again soon and Happy Holidays!

Fountain Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I love love love this hotel! The staff is so amazing. I upgraded from a standard room to a suite for just $15! BTW the suite has a huggggeee tub and a double head shower (AMAZING!) It was absolutely worth it! This hotel is steps away from the beach, amazing restaurants, and downtown hb. I celebrated my 22nd birthday and had a few friends in our room with no complaints! The staff, from the front desk to valet to management, was amazing. Hand down would stay here over and over again. Thank you Shorebreak Hotel for an amazing experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Gloria K,

Happy Birthday from all of us here at the Shorebreak. Turning 22 can be a lack luster B-day, especially after your 21st, but in this case it sounds like you had a blast. It is an honor to be a part of that. We are all about celebrating here at Shorebreak and encourage people to have social gatherings as long as it does not disturb other guests. In your case, you were fine. It is nice to know the staff treated you well. Inoticed you are from Fountain Valley. It is so important to us to show how much we appreciate the support of people who live locally. Thank you so much for your kind words. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Assistant General Manager

Been to Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!