This was my second visit to the Shorebreak hotel - and like the first, it did not disappoint in the least. Here's a breakdown of what I thought;
1) Location: This location is prime. The best you can get in HB. It's literally directly across the street from the Pier and beach - you really can't get any closer to the central area.
2) Rooms: Well appointed, modern and thoughtfully decorated. The decor certainly matches California surf-style in a laid back sort of way. Beds were comfortable and daily housekeeping was consistent. The bathrooms were also beautiful. Both times I stayed in a room with two beds and one time was with a partial ocean view, while the other was the non-ocean view (basic room). I'd say that at the minimum the upgrade to the partial ocean view was worth it for the mere fact that it had an attached LARGE patio with a table/chairs to sit at/relax and even entertain with.
3) Staff/Service: Top-notch. Check-in process was quick and the staff were keen to find out about what brought you to HB and whether they could recommend/offer anything to make your stay more enjoyable. They were always approachable and friendly and for the most part always greeted you upon your return to the hotel. Valet staff were also quite attentive and courteous.
4) How it compares to other properties in the area: To be simply put - it doesn't. There are a few larger chain properties not too much further down the street but they're more resort-style. In my opinion, when staying in a place like this, the atmosphere that the Shorebreak provides is exactly what I want. Quaint, quiet, convenient and well put together.
5) Value: It's essentially comparable to any other property in the area. During low season times the prices are quite reasonable. In high season times however, it's best to either look for a rate sale or book well enough in advance to secure a great rate, as undoubtedly due to the high demand for this property - if you are trying to book last minute, you will likely pay through the nose for it (still worth it though!)
6) Amenities: This property isn't loaded with amenities, however for the ones that it does - they're great. There is an exercise room in which I used, the equipment is perfectly fine and not ancient. They have a TV in there so you can get lost in whatever's on while you work out. There is a beautiful patio that you can sit out on with sand & fire-pits. I'm not sure if they still have it, but they also had a daily wine hour in which guests were invited to come, mingle and have a drink. This was a great idea as guests could have fun with their own party, or could meet new people who were visiting.
7) Dining: The attached restaurant, Zimzala was great. Food was well prepared, servers were attentive and it's definitely somewhere I would return too.
Other Notables: This property is pet friendly - something that also adds a dose of uniqueness to your stay.
Conclusion: If you're looking to stay in HB and want the best in location, property and service - this, in my opinion, is it. It may not have multiple pools and other various amenities you would find at a chain, resort-style, but with a beach and ocean across the street, why would you want that anyways? It's the perfect spot to relax, unwind and enjoy all that HB has to offer.
Note: I'm a travel agent, and the above reflects only my opinion(s) based upon personal experiences at this property/destination.
If looking for a basic room, opt for the nominal upgrade to partial-ocean view rooms. You won't...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
I am ready to sign you up to do a review through publication for us. Your attention to detail is excellent and the feedback is much appreciated. If I was reading a review for this hotel, your posting would want to make me stay here. Thank you so much for all your kind words about the staff, location, restaurant, valets, rooms and much more. I have printed this and posted for all our employees to see. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Paul J. Frechette
Assistant General Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.