“Great hotel, close to the beach, and super friendly staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Save Saved
You added Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel to your Saves list
Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   500 Pacific Coast Highway, 5th & PCH, Huntington Beach, CA 92648   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
20% Discount
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Newport Beach, CA
“Great hotel, close to the beach, and super friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

So I stayed here for my wedding weekend. The funny thing about Huntington Beach (and Main St area in general) is that there aren't a lot of clean, reputable hotels, just a handful. So while Shorebreak may seem a little expensive compared to staying in a surf shack, you definitely get a more comfortable room, friendlier staff, and primo location. It's minutes from all kinds of cuisine on the Promenade and Main St., the beach, the pier, and a CVS for your forgotten supplies is right downstairs.

I checked in with Lisa and Gus at the front desk and each time I saw them they had a smile for me and they were always available to help me if I had a question. And have I mentioned wine hour? It's from 5-6pm EVERY DAY at the front desk. While getting ready for my rehearsal dinner, my bridesmaids were so excited to have a glass of wine that was recommended by Lisa. Later that night we had drinks at Zimzala and their drink menu is very unique and tasty looking! We sat on the patio and besides the heat lamps, they also offer cozy throws to keep warm.

Of course the rooms are awesome, we had the Courtyard 2-bedroom suite. In the interest of full disclosure, my itty-bitty complaint would be that I had no view. I knew this going into it, but I'm not sure why our good-sized patio had a full size wall and no table or chairs. I would have preferred more space in the room than a patio that is pretty much unusable. Also, the fridge chills items, but is set at 55-60 degrees, so don't keep leftovers in there. And water pressure in the showers suck but that's because it's a water conservative hotel.

Back to the compliments.... I loved this hotel, its decor, and its staff. It's the little things that impress people. I would definitely stay here again but I live so close I don't know when I'll get the chance. Bottom line: I would definitely recommend this hotel is water pressure isn't a deal breaker. ;)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear schoolgirl77,

I hope your wedding day went well and you had lots of funs. Gus and Lisa are two of our very best here at Shorebreak and they are so excited that they were mentioned on your review. Deepest gratitude for using our hotel on your special day. It is always nice to be a part of someones special occasion. Thank you for the review of the hotel, we really appreciate candid feedback on our rooms and staff. We are always looking to improve our services.

You know what this means? You have to come back on your one year anniversary, so we can celebrate with you. We are always looking for reasons to celebrate here at Shorebreak. On behalf of the staff and management team, thank you so much for using us.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This hotel is a fantastic place to stay. Particularly if you plan on spending some time on the beach and pier. The hotel is a few hundred feet from both. There is a ton of great food and shopping nearby. Also a CVS is close for getting snacks drinks sunscreen etc.. the pier is close and gives you a great view of the shoreline and of the surfers. There is also a very cool kite store right on the pier, and a resturant at the end. Just a burger and shake place, but it is fun to eat there.
As for the hotel itself. Very nice clean and modern. It has a strange mix of luxury and surfer art. It works though. The room we had is pretty small, but well furnished and clean. The bathroom was large and very nice. It has a large open shower. The side opposite the shower head had a little stool and was a perfect place to get the sand out of your shoes and gear. They supplied robes, and some nice toiletries. Each room either has a balcony that faces out or in to the courtyard. The courtyard itself was really cool. Had a few natural gas fire boxes, plenty of room to sit and relax. We didn't, eat at the resturant, but I have no doubt it is nice.
I really only have a couple complaints.
You have to pay to get internet, after paying that much for a room it should be complimentry . At least offer it in the lobby for a quick email check.
There is no vending machines, and getting ice is a hastle. You have to get it at the bar or on the top floor at the back corner.
Parking is expensive also.
There is ay more good than bad, and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a ocean view, on the third or fourth floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear michael444435805,

Thanks for the very detailed review of your experience here at Shorebreak. Location is so key when opening a hotel and the fact that your mentioned everything is so close is one of thereasons why we are so successful. Next time, try to have a meal in Zimzala. The food is incredible, my personal dinner favorite are the salt crusted skirt steak and pork chop.

As for the added expenses for the rooms, I am sorry there are extra fees when staying here. The charge for parking is for two reasons. We do not own the parkign structure below us and it is managed by the city, so we are at the mercy of the city rates. Secondly, the current price for overnight valet parking is very similar to what you would pay at may of the neighboring hotels in Huntington Beach, Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. A helpful hint for the internet, next time you stay at any Joie De Vivre Hotel sign up for the Joy of Life club, which is our version of a frequent stay program. It's free, earns you points toward future stays and gets you free internet at all of the Joie De Vivre Hotels.

Thanks again for the feedback and we hope to see you again really soon.

Colorado & Mongolia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in Feb and were pleased. The premises and rooms are hip, clean, and well, fun. The bedding was wonderful--the bathroom, too (lovely toiletry items)! The onsite restaurant gets rave reviews; however, we stopped in for lunch and found the service really slow, the food was good but pricey. Breakfast is not included, but there are several great local options. The reception staff was very friendly and helpful--the girl behind the desk insisted on helping us schlep our bags down to curbside! The location is stellar--just a short walk to the waterfront and pier. One caution: internet access does not come cheap! $10 per day per device; yikes. Overall, very pleased--the memories make us smile

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear Nestless,

Thank you for the gracious comments and honest feedback regarding your experience here at Shorebreak. We are always srtiving to do better. It was nice to know you had a great time and I will be sure to share your comments with the staff.

I will be taking your feedback about the restaurant and cost of internet back to my team and try and re-evaluate things. In the meantime, the next time you come make sure to sign up for the "Joy of Life" Club, which is Joie De Vivre's frequent guest program. That will ensure you get free internet every time you stay with us or any other Joie De Vivre Hotel.

Thank you so much for the review.

Moose Jaw, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

The only complaint I had with this hotelis that I couldn't stay there longer! Great room, amazing bathroom. Staff was outstanding and genuinely friendly. Location was unbeatable. We loved Huntington Beach and the Shorebreak Hotel. Hope to stay there again this summer.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear MJ10SGUY,

Thanks for the Shorebreak "Shout Out". Although your review is short, your words were more than valuable motivation for our staff. Next time you stay, make sure to stay longer. We appreciate the kind words regarding the hotel. it is our goal for every guest to feel this way when they leave.

Thanks Again,

Trabuco Canyon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I have stayed at the Shorebreak several times and it is the best hotel in Huntington Beach. It is in the heart of downtown which makes it so easy to walk to shops and restaurants. We have tried hotels in Newport Beach as well, but nothing compares to the Shorebreak if you enjoy beach life and the ability to walk to your destinations. If you like to bike ride, they have bike racks on the first floor. The service is excellent and the rooms are very nice and clean. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Dear Christine T,

Just wanted to send out a quick thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel. We know the key to having any successful business is to have repeat customers. Thank you for supporting our efforts. Don't be a stranger and come see us again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We spent 1 night in this hotel and it almost ruined our entire 3 day weekend. Yes this hotel has a good location, modern design, and clean rooms, but what it also has is noise. LOTS and LOTS of noise. Our first room, was large, clean, and had a view of the ocean. Unfortunately it was on the 2nd floor, which meant it also had all the noise from the street. It was so loud that we couldn't hear our T.V. After 30 minutes, we couldn't take it anymore. We complained and were given a "different" room. The "new" room was extremely small with a smaller bed, and a view of their courtyard, which also meant all the noise of the courtyard, music, people laughing, talking, and BARKING dogs. I love dogs, but I don't want to hear them all night long. By 3 a.m. I was so exhausted I was in tears. Complaining did nothing to solve the problem. When I checked out, I was told that there must have been a mix up with our reservations, and that they took complaints "seriously" and that a manager would call me. It's been over a week, and I haven't even gotten an email. Thank goodness, we only booked one night there. We spent the rest of our weekend at The Island Hotel in Newport Beach which was a perfect 5 star experience, and cost less!

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel and you should be fine. But if you can't, maybe rooms on the higher floo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear HelloVegasSunshine,

I just had a chance to read the review regarding your noisy experience here at Shorebreak. Please accept my sincere apology regarding the noise issues, but mostly for the lack of follow up from our staff. I am typically the person who gets any communications regarding guest challenges. I am not sure where the communication break down occured. I am embarrassed at the fact that no one has gotten back to you. I take it personally when a guest had a bad experience with us and am eager to make up for it. If you have the time in the near future, please reach out to me directly. I would love to speak with you and get this resolved. These reviews are very helpful and I would like to get some more detailed information regarding the noise issues and the employees you dealt with during your stay. I sure hope to hear from you soon.

Sincere apologies,

Asssistant General Manager
Temecula, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Shorebreak is a great getaway. Our waterfront room was delightful - cozy & comfortable. Their restaurant, Zahala, featured excellent cuisine: we enjoyed dinner & breakfast there. The courtyard with fire pits was really nice too. The location - right across the street was wonderful. Once the car was valet parked - we walked everywhere! We were somewhat concerned that it was a 'pet-friendly' hotel because we have allergies to pets. We mentioned it at the time of reservation & they made sure that the room was deep cleaned & we had no problems. The staff was incredibly accommodating -helpful above & beyond the call of duty. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear CAChochip,

Just wanted to take a moment and express my appreciation for the wonderful comments about our hotel and Zimzala. It was nice to hear that you had a great time with us and that you would consider us again. If you liked our hotel, be sure to check out JDVHotels.com and try one of our other hotels throughout the west coast.

Thanks again,

Assistant General Manager

Been to Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!