“A Wonderful Option in Huntington, perhaps a little too hip for me...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   500 Pacific Coast Highway, 5th & PCH, Huntington Beach, CA 92648 (Formerly Shorebreak Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Book Early + Save 15%
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Fort Worth, Texas
“A Wonderful Option in Huntington, perhaps a little too hip for me...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

In all the times I had visited the area, I didn't realize that there was an oceanfront hotel in the popular pier area - less than a block to the shopping and dining in downtown Huntington. The front desk was incredibly friendly and accomodating, it was a lovely layout with multiple outside fire pits, a generous bar area with sports on TV, and a top notch restaurant. A word about Zimzala, their restaurant - we like trying new places and foods so eating at the hotel restaurant is not very exciting. We were tired and just decided to grab a bite in the hotel - WOW, what an experience! I don't think we ever go to the same place twice, but we ate at Zimzala both nights and I look forward to going there again. Our room had a balcony that looked over the ocean - it is basically a large deck separated by railings between the four rooms so you might end up in a conversation with the people next to you in the morning during coffee. The crowd was distinctly younger than we were - during a wedding rehersal we were more "parents of the bride" age than the average group that was there. I had misgivings that this late night crowd would be loud, but the hotel was very respectful of the sleeping guests and shepherded the partiers into the courtyard or bar area and kept the noise down. Our only disturbance was a noisy central A/C unit that emitted such a high pitched sound, it kept us up for a while. We normally stay further south when we are in the area, but loved this boutique hotel and will stay here again when we are in the area.

Room Tip: The ocean view room was great, and I loved the balcony, but be aware that you are looking over a lar...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2011
Dear Texas_Mark ,

No way Shorebreak is too hip for you. We love to cater too every demographic. Thank you for such an awesome review of our facilities. Especially Zimzala, I try to explain to so many people how awesome this restaurant is all the time. I am so glad you went back several times. As for the comment you made about the respecting of our guests sleep, we do our best to try and keep all outside noise to a minimum after 10pm. It is sort of an "After Hours" policy.

I will be sure to share your reiview with everyone here at the hotel. Thanks once again for your kind words and remember that this place is not too Hip for anyone.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

What a pleasent surprise to find! We were mainly drawn by the dog friendliness of the hotel, but once we got there we were immediately impressed by the decor, and how friendly the staff was. Located right off of the pacific coast highway, we had a waterfront room on the 4th floor and it was lovely. The room was bright and inviting and the hotel itself was conveniently located amongst cute shops and cafes. Perfect for immersing yourself in Americana and the so cal atmosphere!

• Stayed November 2011
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear Danettechappell,

Thank you so much for your kind remarks. We obviously love being dog friendly. All of us here are truely dog lovers. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the staff. Hope to see you again really soon.

Bay View, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I was so impressed with this hotel and staff. Very contempory, hip, clean hotel. the location is perfect, walking distance to the whole downtown and beach area. Quiet hotel and location, which surprised me. Rooms are nice. and the bathrooms are fablous!!Gus at the front desk was great!! As well as any one of the employees. I had asked prior to booking which was a better view and they certainly didn't stear us wrong. The partial beach view was perfect. Not only would I stay there again, I will whole heartedly recommend this hotel and hope to stay again very soon.

Room Tip: I would recommend the partial ocean view. Although the court yard is pretty, its much nicer looking...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear MurWI,

Much gratitude for posting a wonderful review of our hotel. Gus was amazed and thankful for your kind comments. These reviews mean a lot of our staff and we share them in our weekly employee meetings.

Joie De Vivre Hospitality would like to give a heart felt thanks for staying at one of our hotels. Who knows, maybe we will see you in the near future at another one of our boutique properties.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Shorebreak hotel helps to make a perfect beach vacation. We recently spent 2 nights at the hotel and every moment at the hotel was fantastic. The hotel staff were so incredibly friendly and nice not to mention all very attractive. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a room with a large balcony.

The rooms were spacious, we had a room with two double beds and an amazing bathroom with a separate tub and shower. Great toiletries, nice smell. The atmosphere of the room played right into the surf/beach getaway we were looking for.

The extra touches of the hotel is what really make this hotel fantastic. from the little details of the neoprene covers on the corner of the bed so that you wouldn't stub your toes, to the courtesy wine hour, to the amazing beach butler and bath butler services.

We travelled with our baby daughter and the hotel was able to provide us with a crib in the room, as well as all the towels, umbrella's, beach toys and boogie boards for our fun beach day. We even took advantage of the evening fire pits and got a smores pack and roast marshmallows.

I would highly recommend this hotel, Hopefully we will be back in Cali and will find our way back to the Shorebreak.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Dear AudreyWP,

I love to comment about how "attractive" the front desk employee can be. I shared it with the staff and they were kind of embarrassed. That was definitely a first.

Deepest thanks for the great comments regarding our hotel. It was nice to hear that you had such a great trip. We strive to make peoples vacation not only relaxing, but an experience. It seems in your case we accomplished our goal.

Joie De Vivre Hospitality and Shorebreak would like to thank you for staying with us. Next time you travel to the West Coast you should try out another one of our boutique properties.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Two years ago I took my daughter to the Shorebreak in Huntington Beach on a Mother/Daughter get-away. It has become her very favorite hotel ever since. The rooms are very contemporary and many have ocean views. The décor is upscale ocean/beach contemporary with a surfing theme.

The first time they upgraded us to a suite on the Ocean side which featured a separate sitting room with TV, sofa, and refrigerator. Although beautiful, since the Pacific Coast Highway runs between the beach and the hotel, it was noisy all night with traffic and jubilant people. In April, I booked two rooms on the northwest side of the hotel towards the back. There was not an adjoining door but they were next to one another. (Note, the corner room does not have windows on two sides.)
We each had a small, intimate balcony to watch the waves and the sunset. The rooms were appointed in 1960’s psychedelic pinks, greens, and oranges which was fun and fanciful and both rooms enjoyed lovely partial ocean views. The entire facility is sparkling clean and I am definitely into VERY CLEAN!

The bathroom in the suites boast a gigantic soaking tub and the other rooms have showers big enough for six!! Both are wonderful. The beds are so comfortable you actually want to lounge all day, however, the ocean beacons. Right across the street is Huntington Beach and pier. Great walking, wading, body surfing., swimming, sunning, and surfing. There was a pro surf competition complete with TV crews going on one of our visits. Good restaurants line the beach and the surrounding blocks.

The hotel hosts a complimentary wine tasting in the afternoons and also advertises happy hour specials (delicious) in the restaurant both in the afternoons and after 10pm.

The staff are young and adorable as well as extremely helpful. They enjoyed the fact that my daughter and I have so much fun together. They held our luggage for us on our final day so we could have a leisurely brunch and play on the beach before my evening flight back to chillier San Francisco.

Only downside for me is that there is no swimming pool or spa area. There is a courtyard with sand, fire pits, and eco-landscaping, but no lounge chairs.

Small pets are allowed for an extra fee.

If you like to shop, there are lots of boutiques, surf shops, and Forever 21 on the block.

Recommended for couples, surfers, friend get-togethers, mother/daughter bonding. And of course, since this is my daughter’s favorite hotel, we’ll be back to celebrate more joie de vivre!

Room Tip: Surfers and their boards are welcome. Either pay for the valet parking (about $26 for 24 hours) or f...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear StarLady99,

Thank you so much for posting a review on Trip Advisor. It really means a lot to the staff when a past guest has feedback, positive and negative. I appreciate your input about the waterfront rooms and noise on Pacific Coast Highway. Our sliding doors are sound proof, but a lot of guests like to leave them open for the ocean breeze. The second time you stayed was on the north side of the hotel that faces Long Beach where the sun sets. My person favor area of the hotel because you get the beach and the sunset.

I will be sure to pass your wonderful comments about our "adorable" staff. They will get a kick out of that.

If you ever make a drip back to our neck of the woods, think about staying with us again.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Staff was so friendly, the best we have ever come across. Jill in particlular went out of her way to welcome us to the hotel. Beds were extremely comfortable and the room was spacious and very clean. Great location in the heart of everything, lots of variety for dinner without using the car. Good ambiance throughout the hotel. Parking was expensive ($40 to self park) but the valet was $24. We booked through Hotwire and got a good deal, we would not hesitate to stay there on our next trip to beautiful Huntington Beach.

Room Tip: Our room faced fifth ave and you could see the ocean if you were on the patio.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Dear Brad G,

Greetings fellow Canadian. I see you received a great deal through Hotwire. Just wanted to send a quick thank you for staying with us here at Shorebreak. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Jill, she will be so excited. It was a pleasure serving you, be sure to tell all your friends about your experience here. We love Canadian Travelers.

Devon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

After over 24 hours of travelling from the UK to the Shorebreak Hotel we arrived to be told that the hotel room we had booked (upgrade booked directly with the hotel) was unavailable for the first two nights of our hotel, our only option was to accept a downgrade and 'no cost' then move rooms in two days! So had to unpack, then repack then transfer all our bags over to our new room only to unpack again... what a waste of our valued holiday. We therefore started with a very negative opinion of the hotel for which we were to spend another 12 days in.

In addition our TV didn't work for 6 days out of our 12 day stay and received no information as the the issue. In fact when we went down to reception to report the problem they informed us that they were already aware and sent a tech to get it sorted however it continued to cut out intermediatly during the rest of our stay. Although this didnt bother us too much Im sure it would of done for others.

I will comment that Zimzala is incredible, an amazing place to eat and could not find a single place in Huntington Beach that beat it. The only place where we felt like valued costumers.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear Marshmellows,

I have read and reviewed your comments concerning your stay with us here at the Shorebreak. I too would be frustrated with the challenges you faced during your stay. My staff and I are familiar with your stay specifically. Unfortunately, when a guest calls in to request an upgrade it is completely based on availability. Please accept my apology if that was not communicated with you. We are able to check our systems and find out exactly who you spoke with and we will make sure to re-train them on what needs to be said when a guest requests an upgrade. There is no excuse and you should have been told.

It is also mentioned that you had an issue with your TV. I do know that during your stay with us we were in the middle of installing an "On Demand" movie system for our guests. Staying somewhere for 12 nights, I too would have been frustrated that my TV did not work, especially after a long day of traveling.

On behalf of the Shorebreak Family, please accept my humble apology for these issues. I am eager to go back to my team and fingure out how this can never happen to another guest ever again. Thank you for your honest feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 19 in Huntington Beach
BEST WESTERN Regency Inn
#5 of 19 in Huntington Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 295 reviews
BEST WESTERN Huntington Beach Inn
BEST WESTERN Huntington Beach In...
#8 of 19 in Huntington Beach
3.5 of 5 stars 204 reviews
BEST WESTERN Harbour Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN Harbour Inn & Suite...
#6 of 19 in Huntington Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 129 reviews
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#10 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 561 reviews

Been to Shorebreak Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!