“Hume Lake Campground” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hume Lake Campgrounds

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hume
Hume Lake Campgrounds
Hume Road, Hume, CA   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty lodging in Hume
“Hume Lake Campground”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Not to be confused with the Christian Camp that first comes to mind when mentioning to your friends you are going there. The campground was surrounded by plenty of trees, but your camping neighbors are still fairly close. All sites are within walking distance to the lake. Camp host was very pleasant. Flush toilets, yeah! Access to the 3 mile loop trail around the lake. Fishing was still pretty good. Trout, crappie and blue gills all biting. Yes, The Cove is really a nice place to go to but just within walking distance to the campground you can snag your own little "beach" with plenty of shade trees and shallow water for the kiddies to play in. The lake is perfect for float tubes, rafts, kayaks canoes etc. Downside at this current moment No campfires due to extreme high fire danger.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This review is for Hickory Lodge at Hume Lake Christian Camp.

This is not a campground. And if you go in the summer and expect to be alone in the wilderness, you will be disappointed as during the summer, churches from all over send their kids to this camp for a week of activities. It gets very crowded, so it is just a matter of knowing what you are getting into if you go here during the summer.

My wife and I visited for a few days while our kids were at the camp with our church. We stayed in Hickory Lodge 201. It was very clean. It had a mini fridge and a coffee pot. No a/c, just a ceiling fan. I knew all of this going in and I couldn't have been more pleased with the accomodations. A cleaning crew comes around each day to make up your bed and give you fresh towels.

There are so many things to do there. You can rent a canoe, kayak, row boat or a bike for a small fee. There is also a nice trail around the lake for hikes. The lake and the surrounding area is beautiful.

If you are a guest at one of the lodges, you get breakfast passes for each day to eat in the dining hall. This is pretty much the same food the kids eat. Guests eat upstairs and the kids eat downstairs. You have the option to buy meal tickets to eat lunch and dinner in the dining hall as well, for $10 a day per person. I would recommend looking at the menu before you decide. You can decide on a day by day basis. The food isn't great but it isn't unedible either. A couple of the nice things about the guest dining upstairs is if you aren't real thrilled about what is being served for lunch or dinner, but you have your meal pass to use, they have an "out" upstairs which is a sandwich bar.....basically make a sandwich like you do at Subway. And there is free ice cream to scoop yourself for dessert as well.

If you decide to not eat in the dining hall, you can go to several different places for food. The best would be the Snack Shop where you can get fantastic hamburgers and shakes. The chocolate-peanut butter shake is very good.

Pondy Deli also has very good 7" pizzas.

And if you just want a soft drink, go to the General Store. Their fountain dispenser is cheaper than what you will pay at one of the food places.

Overall, this was a great place to visit for a few days. I am only rating "Very Good" because I think the rooms are a bit overpriced. So it is simply a value thing for me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Went in spring. Not official season yet. Paid in advance for Black Oak lodging. There was not a coffee pot, or mini refrigerator, or anything that plugged into an outlet, except lights.

Despite the fact that the entire resort seem void of guests, our room overlooked 3 trailers lined up for employees(? not rentals). I saw we were the only guests, because of the 15+ people we saw, they all stared us down with that "you must be lost" look.

Both people we spoke to in reception were quite pleasant. I would recommend Grant Cove (less than 10 miles) and John Muir lodge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Big Bear Lake, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We did not camp at the campgrounds, but actually stayed in their cabins in that area. My daughter and I attended the Hume Lake Mother-Daughter Retreat in May 2012, and it was wonderful! We stayed in their "Standard Housing" cabin, which was rather rustic, but it had the basic amenities (camp-style bunkbeds, electrical outlets and private bathroom). Nicer accomodations would have cost more, so we were fine with "Standard." The food was excellent, and I found myself looking forward to every meal! They had great activities for both kids and adults, and we found that the weekend went by very quickly! I cannot say enough about the service and the excellent quality of the staff-- if you need anything, or have any issue, it will be resolved quickly. For example, we had a little problem with ants in our cabin, and someone came by immediately to take care of it. There is no cell phone service, so tell your boss not to call you when you're there. However, they had wireless at the camp, so if you HAD to answer e-mails, you could do that. We took a nice walk around the lake (about 3 miles), and it was absolutely beautiful. Make sure you bring your camera!

Room Tip: Bring a jacket, even if it's spring or summer. It can get chilly up there. We were there in May...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

August 2012. My boyfriend and I were on a camping vacation on the Sequoia Nationa park. We haven't plan or reserved any of the campground we had stop. This was a very nice one. Great temperature - not too cold not too hot, close to the lake (our site had a view on the lake). Very family and pet friendly. First campground with a recycle trash can. No shower, but decent bathroom with a flush tolilet, sink and mirror. The camp host was also very gentle and helpful.
Some noise from he Christian camp on the other side of the lake but not too disturbing. Definately recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

It’s been a few years since my Husband and I camped at Hume Lake, but we had a great time. We were camping in my Tent Trailer and were lucky enough to get a spot that was fairly level. The Camp Host was the nicest elderly gentlemen who gave us tips on the best fishing spots and dropped off fire wood every day. We loved it so much we want to return this summer. The bathrooms were clean enough and when we really needed a shower we had to drive quite a way to another camp ground that had pay showers. We did rent row boats for a few bucks at the Christian Camp, ate at their snack bar that was pretty good considering the location and all, we also ate the fish that my husband caught in the lake that was delicious! The camp sites are well shaded, we didn’t see any bears (THANK GOD) and we did see a few deer. If you like to have a fun place to camp that is pretty quiet for the most part this is a good spot to pitch your tent or drop anchor with your RV or trailer.

Room Tip: Check the camp sites if you have a trailer or RV a lot of them are on uneven ground or sloping.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Cypress, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I've stayed at this campground every summer since '97. Compared to other campgrounds, this one has more amenities, the most important being flush toilets and running (ice cold) water. I enjoy forested campgrounds with rivers and lakes, and I don't like to see regular bushes and dry desert, so that is why I come back here every year.
Many of the sites are shaded, and all have picnic benches and firepits. I believe most sites, if not all, have bear lockers. All sites are a short walk to the lake, which provides a place to fish and swim.
For gas, food, and supplies, you can take a short drive over to the Hume Lake Christian Campground at the end of the lake. They also provide rowboats, and very slow and weak motorboats, but I don't know what their rental policy is if your are not staying at their campground.
There is plenty to see around here: Grizzly Falls, Grant's tree, 2 caves, the lake, Kern River, and the Sequioa Forest in general. You can also follow the source of Hume Lake upriver and find nice sitting pools under very small waterfalls.
Another nice campground nearby is Upper Lodgepole, which is really green. I would love to stay here, but this campground is very rocky, and I have 2 young ones.
This is a great campground.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hume Lake Campgrounds? Share your experiences!