“Still my favorite ski hill” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas
Attraction Details
Livonia, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
“Still my favorite ski hill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have the Vail Resorts epic pass. Unfortunately with lift ticket prices at most places, it just makes sense to buy the pass, even though I hate the corporate skiing concept. I have skiied at Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Heavenly and Northstar this year. Homewood is still my favorite after 15 years of skiing there and I can't imagine I will ever like a ski hill more. Out of 7 ski days in Tahoe this year, I spent 4 of them here, even though my skiing was paid for with my pass at Heavenly and Northstar. We were lucky enough to buy 3 days worth of passes for $25 each back in October, but I would have paid the $58. It is worth it. The views here are incredible. The views are nice at Heavenly, but you are farther from the lake there. At Homewood you almost feel like you are going to ski into the lake, and I can hardly think of a run that doesn't have a view. Also, lift lines are almost nonexistent at Homewood. We skiied 2 Saturdays and a Sunday there and the lines were like weekdays at the bigger places. I routinely spend $33 for 2 for lunch at the Vail resorts with no drinks, I spend less than that at Homewood and we each get a beer. Also, this year, they opened the Big Blue View Bar. The views are incredible. We had very warm weather during our trip and took at least one lenghty break per day at this bar, drinking a Racer 5 IPA on draft, looking at the lake, and soaking up the sun. It was incredible. Every person you encounter is friendly. Granted, this hill isn't the size of Heavenly, and it only has 1 high speed lift, but these issues just seem so minor to me when I am there. We stay a mile from Heavenly and can ski there for free, but only did that twice. We made the 40 minute drive to Homewood and paid to ski there 4 times because we love it so much! Highly recommended.

Visited March 2013

Sacramento, CA
5 attraction reviews
“West Shore surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Homewood might have just five lifts, but there's plenty of terrain to keep skiers/riders of all ages busy for a day. Clientele is mostly locals or friends of families who have homes in the area. A refreshing change from the tourist crowd at other resorts. And the views are the best at the lake; they put even Heavenly to shame.

Visited February 2013
“Awesome views of the lake but would love for Ellis to get upgraded to a high speed quad.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Our family had two fun days of skiing and absolutely loved the views of the lake. The people working at the resort were very nice. We loved the club panini and the garlic fries at the north lodge. Ellis needs to be upgraded; it is painfully slow.

david.pattison@chrobinson.com
7 attraction reviews
“one of the most beautiful ski areas in the country”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

this is always one of our stops on a trip to Tahoe for skiing. it's especially good on a busy holiday day. very laid back, not too crowded. You cannot beat the scenery!! The price is right. There are nice runs thru the trees. the only "knock" it receives is it could use one more high speed lift. just one though, we don't want to do anything crazy!! the burgers outside the chalet are excellent for lunch. and if you want a nice apres ski stop before heading home, go to West Shore Cafe across the street. not the big party scene like other places. good food and drinks with a nice view.

San Francisco, California
“Waste of time and money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We enrolled our son for two-full days lesson because we thought he would have fun learning ski again after his first wonderful experience at Squaw Valley. It ended up letting him wait most of the time after going through the "magic carpet" conveyor that would bring the kids uphill. As i was watching the first day, my son waited for 20mins until he made his first run down the slope and they took a break like 30mins. When they came back after a break they made the same slow run going to conveyor and waited again that long and lunch break followed, urgh!. So it was like only 4runs the whole day. That was ridiculous! The second day was worst. Our 4y.o son did not want to go back there but since we already paid the 2days lesson we persuaded him to go half day taking the afternoon class only. The whole time i was watching, same thing happened they let our son stood up for 35mins and i even saw him from afar waving at me, yawning and trying to sit down. I wanted to call the attention of the teacher but I said since he was the next one to be pulled down so i waited...he waited and waited. But what annoyed me when the (lady) instructor pulled 2kids behind my son and went down the slopes and that would take another ten minutes of waiting. When i saw that went straight to the guy with folder (named Francisco - not sure that was my son mentioned). He felt sorry and said - the instructor pulled the kids behind him because he cannot go down the slope yet - HORRIBLE! That's why we sent our son to ski school in order to learn! When he noticed that i was really mad he offered a free one-on-one lesson for an hour. But what's the use of the lesson when my son was already terribly exhausted and tired. Two thumbs down! (Attached photo - That's the teacher and my son in blue).

Visited February 2013
homewoodmtn, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Mountain Resort, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Hello Redskin,
While we are sorry to hear about your negative experience with our Ski School, we do appreciate the feedback and hope that you may give Homewood another shot. We do pride ourselves in excellent customer service and it appears that we dropped the ball the day you came. Please know the situation has been addressed and we encourage you to come back and try again on us. If you would like to contact the Ski and Snowboard School Management team, we would be happy to provide you with another lesson and hopefully a more positive experience for your child. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to hear back from you.
Homewood Guest Services