“Best Place I have ever stayed” 5 of 5 stars

West Shore Cafe and Inn
5160 West Lake Blvd., Homewood, CA 96141   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Homewood B&B and Inns
Hamps
“Best Place I have ever stayed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just got home from a USA road trip and this place was by far the nicest and most comfortable place we stayed not just on this holiday but ever!. The room was even better than it looked on the website and the attention to detail defies description . Lovely thick woolen carpets (lets face it most hotels have rather worn out thin affairs) really high end furnishings and the biggest TVs I have ever seen in a hotel room. The staff were attentive and so helpful . I loved the Kayaking and haven't stopped boring everyone with how much I enjoyed it. We ate at the restaurant both nights and the food and service was fab. Before I went on holiday my husband asked me for a benchmark 10 out of 10 hotel to compare all others with- until I had been here I didn't have one . In fact I think it probably more than 10 . I loved it so much and really hope I get to go there again one day . A real holiday highlight .

Room Tip: We had the McKinney Bay Suite - not the best view but has a fab Jacuzzi.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reno, Nevada, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I actually did not stay there but ate lunch in the deck with a group of friends. A limited, little pricey, but good menu of sandwiches and salads. Great bar with featured drinks. But being on the water with an unobstructed view of Lake Tahoe is worth a little more and will make you high without imbibing!!! The remodeled cafe and inn is about four years old and a great addition to the west shore

• Stayed May 2013
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

My brother-in-law just had his wedding at West Shore. It was absolutely gorgeous, this place is out of a storybook!

The rooms are spectacular. We stayed in the Sugar Pine suite which had a living room, 2 fireplaces, 2 flat screens, 2 amazing bathrooms and 2 balconies with views of the lake. I wish my house looked like this, whoever designed this place sure paid attention to detail. Kudos to you!

If you want to go gambling South Shore is about an hour drive. Driving to the airport is about an hour and a half. There are no direct flights to Reno/Tahoe from NYC, such a huge pain since we were traveling with our 15 month old tornado of a daughter!

We are definitely coming back!!!

Jason & Nicole Alonzo

• Stayed May 2013
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I just stayed three nights at this fabulous resort.

The only thing that exceeded the fantastic location and amenities were the truly oustanding people who work there. Friendly, competent and helpful each and every one!

If there were any individual employee to be singled out however, it would have to be Robin at the front desk. She always went way above and beyond what you would expect from a staff member at a resort. She even offered to scrape the ice off of our car windows one morning!

We will definitely recommend this resort on all our advertising (we own rental properties) because of Robin. Just wish we could steal her away to work for us in Hawaii!!!

Sincerely

David and Frances Messer

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jessica N, Manager at West Shore Cafe and Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Good Morning Mr. Messer-

Thank you very much for leaving such a wonderful review. We look forward to hosting you in the near future! Please visit our website for promos and events!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at West Shore Inn last weekend with my parents. The rooms are beautiful, the service is great and you can't beat the setting. For the quality and the location, I think this resort is great value.

The suites are very spacious and very well decorated / designed. As soon as I walked in, I felt immediately at home and relaxed. Our suite was on the mountain side. At night, I could hear the groomers working the mountain. It didn't keep me up. I assume the lake side is quieter and will certainly have nicer views.

The lodge is directly across from Homewood Resort, which is more of a "locals" hill. I like Homewood because it has the best views of all the ski resorts in Tahoe (almost all the runs feature views of the lake), it's more affordable and the lines aren't as long. There are plenty of glades runs, although the terrain isn't as challenging as Squaw, which is probably the most built up of all the ski resorts on the North Shore. Squaw is about 20-25 minutes from West Shore Inn.

Tips:

-Skip eating at the restaurant in the inn. It's pretty mediocre. Instead, have happy hour at the inn while the sun is setting over the lake and then head to Truckee (30 minutes away) for dinner. Restaurant Trokay is a real gem
-Check out Emerald Bay. It's about 20 minutes west of the inn. True world class beauty

Room Tip: Lake side is probably quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been traveling around Tahoe for decades but just this year was introduced to this beautiful property. Just six guest rooms, very intimate. Marlette and Mt. Watson suites are the best in the house and absolutely gorgeous: two rooms, two fireplaces, two balconies and floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking that glorious lake. Decor is very Ralph Lauren-esque. If you're a skier, you don't even need a car; the lifts at Homewood Mountain Resort are directly across the road. The restaurant, with a wall of windows facing the lake, is one of the most beautiful dining spaces at Tahoe. Food is expensive but doesn't disappoint. The Sunday dinner special - $15 entree paired with a $5 glass of wine - is a good deal (even if you'll spend another $15 on a salad). On Mondays, entrees are half price. Lots of locals at happy hour.

Room Tip: Three rooms/suites face the lake; three are standard rooms facing the road. The rate sheet has all o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We arrived early for dinner and they were able to seat us. The food was delicious especially the short ribs and the salmon. Portions were ample sized and the service was attentive. The view of the lake is stupendous, so arrive early to enjoy the view.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to West Shore Cafe and Inn? Share your experiences!