“planning a return trip” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1300 The Strand, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254   |
Los Angeles
“planning a return trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

It's all about the ocean front room. I was on a bender to find that ultimate hotel on the strand that we could bike all day with our young son and be car free for a few days. It's important to me to have a path that is separated from the street so we went down to check out this hotel before committing to it's pricey rate and knowing just what a hotel snob I am-the decor had to be right. At first we were shown a room that faced the alley on the ground floor and it didn't have the vibe we were looking for and felt expensive for what you got, but after some persistence we were shown an ocean front room. The patio opens onto the strand and made a very memorable evening of people watching. There is a volleyball court on the sand right outside and miles of white sand and ocean. The room was beautifully remodeled with classic beach decor and even had a good size fridge + sink and stove top. The fireplace wasn't something we were looking for but it sure did make a difference after a three hour bike ride when the cool ocean air hits at night. I didn't consider having a suite to be so important but the layout was an added bonus. Bike rentals right next to the hotel were super convenient and the pier with loads of restaurants are right there too. If you plan to bike and want to stay on the strand head north. My only negative feedback would be that there is no swimming pool and the community jacuzzi is placed in what feels like a large closet with no view.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kevin M, General Manager at Beach House at Hermosa Beach, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Beach House at Hermosa Beach. We appreciate your kind words about the hotel and we are very pleased we could offer you exactly what you were looking for in a vacation hotel. We look forward to having you back again soon. Best regards, Kevin McCarthy, General Manager

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Our last stop on our two week road trip honeymoon and we weren't disappointed! We arrived tired and weary to discover our
Room had ' mysteriously changed' with much activity going on at reception. After being given our keys we opened our ground floor suite to find a beautiful room which overlooked the sidewalk and beach with a bottle of Champagne chilling ( from our friends that the hotel had help arrange). It was just like out of the movies as we enjoyed the sundowner watching the girls with their dogs on rollerblades, muscle men jogging and people taking strolls. The bathroom was enormous and exceptionally clean with gorgeous products to use. The kitchen area was immaculate but everything wrapped in cling film? I couldn't even a or a glass without having to unwrap it( hygiene gone a bit bonkers)! In the morning I caught my husband watching bikini clad girls playing beach volleyball!
The bed was incredible such a comfortable sleep. I was really sad to only stay a night but it is quite pricey. Breakfast was the only disappointment considering the luxury of the place.
We went out in the evening to eat at Sharkeys- they have the best burgers but the area was very rowdy and very much part of a younger scene but hey lots of fun.
All said a wonderful end to a magical trip- one of these days we I'll hopefully return!

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
We are very happy we could conclude your honeymoon road trip with a great experience. We are glad you enjoyed the amenities of the Beach House. We also hope you can plan a return visit soon. Sincerely, Kevin McCarthy, General Manager
Upper Saddle River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed at the Beach House in Hermosa Beach for four nights. The hotel is right on the beach /strand ... great location. Hotel provides beach chairs and towels to the guests and there is a bike rental shop (a ride on the Strand is a must!) right next door. Easy walks to a variety of shops and restaurants.

The room was nice - clean and nice sized bathroom - but maybe not quite as big as I expected. It was a bit of an odd set up - King bed on a raised area then step down to the living room with sleeper sofa. While each area got their own TV, they were not that far apart so the sound of one interfered with the other and one remote would accidentally change the other television's channel. Not a big deal on a beach vaca, but gives you an idea of the proximity of the two areas. So if you are a parent looking for a way to have a little separation from the kids, it is not an ideal set up.

The breakfast buffet was very good. Simple foods - pastries, cereal, coffee, fruit, etc. But it is all fresh and delicious, especially when eaten outside on the patio.

I stayed in a partial ocean view room - not really impressed. Was on the ground floor - which I don't like and it felt like people were constantly parading by the room. Awkward to take advantage of the patio. I would say to go for the ocean front room on a higher floor if you can swing it.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean front room on a higher floor if you can.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review of the Beach House Hermosa Beach. We are happy you liked the hotel amenities as well as the Hermosa Beach area. We are very close to the Strand and some people enjoy all the action the ground floor has to offer. Next time, we hope we can accommodate you on the second or third floor if that is better for you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Best regards, Kevin McCarthy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Reading a recent review shocked me! I have been to this hotel MANY times and have always had a fabulous experience ., Kevin and Jerry and the entire staff are wonderful. Even as a return guest we are always told about the parking fee. Most hotels today charge to park / valet . I think some people can just never be satisfied . Can't wait to return to The Beach House !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This review is going to sound like I'm Exaggerating because you could not imagine you would leave here being treated this way.

I called and made a 5 day reservation F-T, I asked for a Ocean view room. I was told that was available and that was top choice. Arrived Friday evening, staying here until my house was ready to move Into. Checked into my room, ended up in the East building looking at the dog park and La Playita with a partial ocean view. I was disappointed but was tired and pregnant and didn't want to deal with it. So the room is basic nothing special. I lived in Hermosa my view was better and so was my home.

The next morning I spoke with Jerry at the desk, explained my concern he was very friendly and told me he would move me the flowing day to the ocean front rooms. The next day we did get a better view on the strand. Once again the room was nothing special. So from Sunday to Wednesday morning when I left there was construction going on directly Infront of my room on the sand. Setting up and breaking down of benches for volleyball. I could not open my sliding door till 7PM, otherwise loud noises. So check out day comes, I have to leave early so my husband checks out. He calls me tells me what the bill total was. So it was clearly off what I was told originally. So I called and left a friendly message for the General Manager Kevin.

This was the most unprofessional unpleasant hurtful part about my stay. I spoke with Kevin and the conversation started off nice like it should be. By the end of the conversation I was so upset I had to excuse myself from the conversation and wished him a good day. I was called a liar, I was spoken down to I was disrespected. It was awful, I could not tolerate this. I was laughed at by Kevin and when I called him on it he said he was trying to understand how I thought valet was free. I told him I have stayed at so many hotels that valet is free at, besides tipping. I told him I wasn't told I would be charged $50 a day for valet otherwise I would have left 1 of my cars at my house down the street. He told me he had no evidence I wasn't told about the fee. I told my word is the evidence he chuckled.

This type of disrespect went on for 7-9 mins. He basically told me I was moved to a ocean view room so what is my problem. I was so disgusted with his attitude. At the end he told me so what do you want me to do? Because I can't believe I'm talking about a valet charge. I said he could have apologized for me not being told from the beginning but refused. I told him we are done talking I'm so disgusted. I didn't expect for him to treat me this way. All he said was OK.

My husband called him the same day which was 7/18, and he has yet to return his call. Believe me once I get a number and a email of Kevin's superior I will be filing a complaint.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, General Manager at Beach House at Hermosa Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Mrs. Joly: We are sorry for any misunderstanding you may have had regarding room types and valet charges on your recent visit to the Beach House Hotel. Our top room categories are Ocean Front (most expensive), Ocean View (Second Level), Partial Ocean View, and then Standard (least expensive). All rooms are the same in size which are about 500 square feet and décor, with the variance for rate being in the view, with Ocean Front being the top Category and facing directly on the beach. When you arrived, you had booked an Ocean View Room, and when you were unhappy, we upgraded you to an Ocean Front View, at no additional charge. As for your experience with Valet Parking, parking in Hermosa Beach is a premium, and yes, there is a $24/ per night valet charge. Our Valet Department parks all the cars in the adjacent City Lot. If you misunderstood and believed it was complimentary, we are sorry. In no way were our comments to you meant to be offensive or disrespectful, we rather attempted to explain how the room rates were charged, and what the posted rates of Valet are. We are sorry we were unable to meet your expectations from our following conversation. We do value our guests highly and we are here to discuss any issues you may have with the hotel and our staff. Thank you.
Kevin McCarthy, General Manager
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The rooms to stay in at the Beach House are the "OCEAN FRONT SUITES". Great people watching on the Strand and the beach bikini beauties playing beach volleyball. Excellent fishing for the kids on the Hermosa Pier and fun on the sandy beach. Visit Pier Plaza one block south of the hotel for good outdoor dining, entertainment and shopping. The only place we stay when visiting LA. The front desk staff is friendly and the suites are small but very well done. We will be back for our next stay in Los Angeles. Close to LAX also.

Room Tip: We prefer the second floor OCEAN FRONT SUITES for the view and an extra degree of safety.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review of the Beach House Hotel. We are happy to be your hotel choice in the LA area and look forward to your next visit with us. Sincerely, Kevin McCarthy, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Beautiful hotel, lovely big rooms some with sea view but even without seaview it was well worth a visit. unfortunately no pool but with the pacific across the boardwalk - who needs a pool. Beach towels, Seats and boogie board are lent to clients by the hotel. a lovely spot

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are happy you had a wonderful beach experience, and a pleasant stay with us. Come back and see us again soon. Sincerely, Kevin McCarthy, General Manager

Been to Beach House at Hermosa Beach? Share your experiences!