“Not Bad for the Money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Hermosa Beach
Plymouth, Mi.
“Not Bad for the Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This hotel had a pretty good location. We were told you could walk to the beach, but it looked like it might be more of a hike than we wanted to take. You could see the Pacific from the breakfast area and some of the rooms at the upper levels. The room had a small fridge and a microwave.The breakfast was included and about average. Some warm items like fresh self made waffles, pre made eggs and sausage along with the typical continental style items. All in all not bad. A decent place to stay for a day or two.

Room Tip: The lower rooms did not have an ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

In all fairness, our initial experience of Hotel Hermosa wasn't great, but this wasn't their fault, it was that of Booking.com, which failed to book the two rooms we needed (as we were travelling as a couple and a 20 year old). They couldn't have been more apologetic and more helpful, booking us (for free) into the (dated) Quality Inn down the road. As a result, we decided to stay the following night in the VIP suite.

I rather doubt any VIPs stay in the VIP suite. It isn't a suite. It's a room, with a tiny corridor to the bathroom. Having been assured the room was suitable for three adults, we now realise that Jeff's 20 year old daughter is in a day bed next to the bathroom. That'll be fun when we need to use it during the night. There are few powerpoints (just as well I brought a four gang adaptor). There is a jacuzzi in the room...in the bedroom. How odd.

Despite knowing there would be three of us in the room, it was supplied with only two coffee cups, two bottles of ($1.50) water and two plastic cups. There are, thankfully, three sets of towels, so that's something.

I can hear the people in the next room - there's a connecting door, so I suspect that the rooms are sometimes sold as family rooms. As is, it is neither a suite nor a family room. For just a couple, it's a decent, yet overpriced room, admittedly with a balcony and a good view.

There's an outdoor pool (which I am told is heated) and a jacuzzi. When I went to check it out, the jacuzzi was completely full - one group fills the jacuzzi so is only useful for but one group.

There is free wifi but it's painfully slow. There is also a computer in the lobby running what I think is Windows 95 or thereabouts with an entertaining flicker. I could have done with printing something out as it happens, but this would appear to be a tricky proposition.

The 'normal' rooms are considerably cheaper - I would still consider this hotel were I simply after a convenient airport hotel. I would definitely not consider it as a holiday hotel.

I may sleep eventually, once the folk next door choose to shut up. Then again, maybe not. Let's hope I don't need the loo during the night.

Recommended only as an airport hotel.

Peachtree City, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Outdated 70's decorations, dirty carpet, pee stained chiairs, popcorn ceiling was stained and cracked, tub enamel was peeling, noisy rooms, street noise was loud on PCH side. Front desk receptionist was very rude when we walked in to check in the first thing she says is you have to move your car. We parked in a parking spot near the entrance to check in. The fitness "center" is really a closet sized room. Don't let the pictures fool you, this place should be called Motel Hermosa. I wouldn't even pay $50 a night for this place.

Room Tip: Please save your money and book your stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Denise W, General Manager at Hotel Hermosa, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear R B,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us and I regret that we failed to meet your expectations in the details of your stay. As you can see on TripAdvisor, our guests have shared wonderful experiences when they have stayed at Hotel Hermosa and above all have commented on our genuine customer service, and we are certainly committed to providing all of our guests with the highest quality service and facilities. I sincerely apologize that we may have fallen short of this goal in this instance.

I take your concerns very seriously and welcome you to call me at 310-318-6000 to discuss the your stay in more detail. The hotel will be undergoing a renovation in the near future and I do hope you come back so that we may have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Kindest,
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed with my family here for 2 nights this past weekend. We actually went to Knotts Berry Farm which is kind of far from here but we wanted to be close to the Beach. Rooms seemed to be recently renovated (recently as on this decade), but the hotel public spaces, especially the lobby, looks like something taken out of the Miami Vice series. The hotel has a breakfast buffet, kind of like a La Quinta or some Best Westerns, which is pretty decent and it is included in the price, it is really convenient to have one of these when you are traveling with family in California so you can have a decent diner which can be quite expensive sometimes. The staff is super friendly, everywhere, the front desk, maids and the girl in the buffet. Free WiFi, it works fine all the time everywhere in the premises. We had a nice ocean view room, you see mostly Redondo Beach though, not really Hermosa which is covered by an ugly apartment building on the back of the hotel. The beach is within "walking distance" to the beach, by that I mean almost a mile. So, if you have very young children or elders I wouldn't call it walking distance. And the pier is even further. Free parking, which is a big plus in this area.
Rooms are comfy and super clean, yes, they need a furniture reno, but they updated the bedding & drapery not long ago, I can tell. But the furniture is also early nineties late eighties, with its box TV and everything. Heated swimming pool open until 10 PM and a jacuzzi. I normally take picture of the rooms when I travel but my teen daughters trash hotel rooms in 5 seconds, so no pictures this time.

Room Tip: I think 232, 236, 238 & 332 336 338 are the ones with the best ocean view
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Denise W, General Manager at Hotel Hermosa, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear SanDiegoFito,

Thank you for your review of Hotel Hermosa, I am always happy to see how we are seen through our guests eyes. We enjoyed having you as our guest and we hope that you will come see us again after our renovation!

Kindest regards.
Palm Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Rooms and beds were uncomfortably small for 3 people - this was a large disappointment. Good Service, adequate breakfast. Good Parking. Convenient location. Service personnel were friendly. Housekeeping was very good.

Dear Dennis A,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Hermosa, we appreciate your feedback! We would be happy to offer other room options that could accommodate three people, we have several different option, I am thinking our Family Suite would be ideal. Thank you for recognizing the staff, they pride themselves on proving genuine customer service. I am thrilled to have a great team. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Room was clean and spacious, property is clean and well maintained, staff is very friendly and helpful. Did not get a chance to try the pool but there is a pool and spa. Breakfast is decent. Location is convenient and an easy walk to the beach although a bit far.....but a nice walk. Price was better than other nearby comparable hotels.

Room Tip: My room faced the street.....a little noisy in the morning but it did not affect my sleep.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Dear whc2000,

Thank you for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay from the location to the breakfast and our staff! We hope that you will choose again us when your travels bring you back to the South Bay area!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A little dated, room was clean, old tube tv, comfortable bed, received two complimentary drinks at a local bar! Staff was friendly. Nice spot, short drive or long walk to the peir! Good breakfast selection.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Denise W, General Manager at Hotel Hermosa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Raymond G,

Thank you for your review of Hotel Hermosa, we appreciate being mentioned for our convenient and central location; we are perfect to explore all of what South Bay has to offer. Though we know that we have some work ahead of us to update Hotel Hermosa, rest assured that the planned renovation will enhance our features while we will still provide clean and comfortable accommodations. Our staff aim to please and we look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to the Hermosa Beach area.

Denise Waggoner

Been to Hotel Hermosa? Share your experiences!