“No frills place--you get what you pay for” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Hermosa
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2515 Pacific Coast Highway, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254   |
Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Hermosa Beach
California
“No frills place--you get what you pay for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We paid $175 for a King suite. I'm not sure if I got a lot of bang for my buck. Although I enjoyed the ocean views, I was disappointed that they would not provide towels for the beach even though the website said the hotel would (I could've misread it, but whenever I try to verify this, the website is down.) The walls also seem paper thin too because I was able to hear the people next door cough, talk on the phone, and do other stuff...

• Stayed June 2013

283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Kingman, Az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A banner on the front saying "rooms from $89" I paid $132 for a Thursday night. Reserved in advance. Those less expensive rooms were "sold out". Hummmm. Ok though, it was a very pleasant surprise. Our room with an "Ocean View" actually had a building blocking most of the view. Sink drain was very sluggish but room and beds were great! CRT TV not LCD but good quality TV. Could see the ocean but not the sunset which we were hoping for. Front desk very friendly, breakfast was very good. Pretty gardens to wander through.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from Pacific Coast Highway and Artesia as well. Those streets are very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I called to change rooms and spoke to someone on the phone, Candi (? I think). I booked through hotels.com and their policy states that there is no cancellation charges until 3PM the day of the booking, so I had plenty of time (called the day before). She said they had a queen room available, which is what I wanted, but said that she would have to charge me the king room price ($240!). I told her that I could book it online for cheaper, so she said that if I wanted to do that, it was fine. So I started to cancel my booking when I got a call back a few minutes later saying that she would only give me the room for $165 a night (it was $145 online) with a 2-night minimum! What's worse is that the reservation didn't show up online. There is no 2-night minimum policy at this hotel, she was just trying to bilk me out of the cost of a king room for a queen instead. Also she said she could provide me a foldout, but there was no guarantee. It's a shame the customer service is so bad, as we've stayed here numerous times and have enjoyed the hotel. If you get a good rate and don't have to deal with the front desk, it's not a bad location (5-minute cab ride to pier), but I don't think we'll be back after their dishonest practices.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Clean rooms. Friendly, attentive, helpful staff. Parking was fine.
Quick drive to beach. Older hotel but maintained. Don't get room by hot tub. Too loud. Price was fair. Close to lax. Good restaurants in area. Charlies italian restaurant nearby is excellent.

• Stayed May 2013
Wasilla, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed twice at Hotel Hermosa and were treated like royalty. The girl at the front desk,Candy, went out of her way to make our stay comfortable and memorable. The rooms were great and if you get lucky enough to be there when they have the ocean view rooms available you'll find the view breath taking. The hotel is lovely but Candy is the reason we will stay here again on our next visit to Hermosa Beach, she is Awsome!

Room Tip: Ocean view with a balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Herndon, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Well what can I say " one rotten apple ruin the entire barrel". I got a deal on Hotwire for $122 for a king size bed/ room for one night. I was happy after I looked a few reviews and the free parking and breakfast. This place is little old and the view of the beach can only be seen from the 2nd and 3rd floor. There is lot of parking, good breakfast and stuff. The main problem was the guy at the front desk, His attitude was just not right!! I asked for a King bed with ocean view, He said NO, we only have 2 queen in the first floor. It was in the middle of the week and the hotel was not full. He arrogant answer and non friendly gesture will never make me return to this place. If I were you and was planning to stay here...I would request for a ocean view room way in advance :)

Enjoy
-Aj

Room Tip: .I would request for a ocean view room way in advance :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a week at the end of March. Our 1st night we got in late and stayed in a room on the road side of the hotel. I would not recommend that for any light sleepers out there, we woke up every time the City Bus would stop and then go right outside our door. The next morning I talked to Candy (the receptionist) and was able to upgrade for a nominal charge to an Ocean View room and what a difference, well worth the extra money (less than $20 a day)! It was absolute bliss by comparison, a nice distant ocean view, view of the Japanese garden, nice clean room, good shower and peace & quiet. The continental breakfast was nothing special but decent enough, they do need to fix the toaster though as only 2 of 4 slots work. As for the walk to the beach anyone that says it's a short walk is way off, not unless your idea of a short walk is over a mile of up and down hills one way. It is however a short drive in the car down the Hermosa Beach and pier which are both excellent. I would recommend this hotel as long as you stay in an ocean side room.

Room Tip: Stick with the ocean side room and you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Hermosa? Share your experiences!