“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Hermosa Beach
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a week at the end of March. Our 1st night we got in late and stayed in a room on the road side of the hotel. I would not recommend that for any light sleepers out there, we woke up every time the City Bus would stop and then go right outside our door. The next morning I talked to Candy (the receptionist) and was able to upgrade for a nominal charge to an Ocean View room and what a difference, well worth the extra money (less than $20 a day)! It was absolute bliss by comparison, a nice distant ocean view, view of the Japanese garden, nice clean room, good shower and peace & quiet. The continental breakfast was nothing special but decent enough, they do need to fix the toaster though as only 2 of 4 slots work. As for the walk to the beach anyone that says it's a short walk is way off, not unless your idea of a short walk is over a mile of up and down hills one way. It is however a short drive in the car down the Hermosa Beach and pier which are both excellent. I would recommend this hotel as long as you stay in an ocean side room.

Room Tip: Stick with the ocean side room and you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I loved my one week stay at Hotel Hermosa! I found it much better than I expected for the price in such a nice area of California. The staff were friendly and helpful right from my first day and even gave me a complimentary room upgrade for staying so long! The breakfast was adequate, although a little early for holidayers (6.30-9.30am!) and the hotel was beautifully presented with the central garden area a real treat. The only downfall in my wonderful week here was that the gym was out of order and the wifi unreliable. Thankfully the wonderful staff over at LA Fitness straight across the road were able to help me out with the workout situation and the great staff at the hotel helped as best they could with access to a computer with better internet connection. Wildflour Pizza across the road is also well worth a visit :)

Room Tip: My garden view room was great!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

They have the worst customer service. Rude employees. They never smiled. Rooms were small, if you have a room facing the street it's a little noisy. Continental breakfast was not worth going down for.

• Stayed March 2013
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

A budget hotel with clean facilities and nice staff.

My fellow guest and I reserved the "Ocean Garden View with Double Queen Beds" totally to approximately $140.00/night for Saturday check-in and one night stay. The room included a small balcony (fits two people and two chairs), mini-refrigerator (perfect for keeping alcoholic beverages chilled), and a view of the water. A note on the ocean view, it's an ocean view at a distance. So, there are some buildings, homes, and trees that obstruct parts of the view. Parking is limited to one car per room. I didn't have any trouble finding parking and the staff informed us that if we needed extra parking there is plenty of street parking on Gould St (the hotel cross-street). The parking garage is underground so your car is protected from the weather and there is an elevator that brings guest directly to the lobby area or 2nd floor rooms.

When we first entered into our room, our neighbors were quite boisterous and we were able to hear every word in their conversation. It may also have been enhanced due to the sliding door to their balcony being open. Luckily, by the time we got back to our room after enjoying some of Hermosa Beach's nightlife, not a single peep was heard through the walls.

The bathroom was very spacious and clean. Our hairdryer did not work. After we called to request a replacement, the front desk provided us with a bright pink hairdryer with the name "Candi" written on it. I'm assuming the hairdryer was left behind by a guest. We didn't care, as long as it worked.

I would stay at this hotel again, but I would stick with the standard room and save myself the extra $40 for the small balcony. The view can easily be seen by walking out into the courtyard. As for the location, great location if you have a car or bike to get to the beach. A walk during a nice day is possible, but for the nightlife it will most likely require a car/taxi being that it's over a mile away...unless you're willing to lost 30 mins of party time to walk to/from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had an emergency trip to Hermosa Beach. Because of Trip Advisors I chose this hotel. BTW, by calling the hotel I booked a quiet garden room for $29.00 less than internet quotes. It helps to use all options before final booking. When we drove into hotel we realized that we had stayed there ten years before for a wedding. We were there for two nights to attend a memorial service. Staff member Alonso was a sweetheart to us. We felt as if we had a friend. This hotel is immaculately clean, quiet, and convenient. A walk to the beach is easy. Everything is convenient.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We wanted a hotel with free parking, free breakfast, and close proximity to LAX. Once you become familary with areas surrounding LAX, you quickly realize that not all locations are as safe as others. This was especially important to us during this trip, as we were travelling with children and knew we would be arriving back at the hotel after dark each night and departing very early in the morning. After researching reviews of several hotels near Marina Del Ray; adjacent to LAX; and Hermosa Beach, I booked this hotel online with a great rate after confirming it met our requirements. I never received a confirmation email but printed my online receipt directly from their website that showed my reservation number.

I called to confirm our reservation before arriving (always!) and was given excellent customer service. The same level of service greeted us when we arrived to check-in. Adolpho was professional, kind, and patient with my questions. I had booked a king but asked him to check availability for a double and we lucked out. We had a room facing the PCH and I could tell immediately it would be loud during the night (it is the PCH, after all!). We never leave home without earplugs so it wasn't an issue for us.

The value was incredible. Not only is the parking free but it is underground, perfect for rainy or very windy days. It was very convenient taking the elevator from our floor directly to our parking level. A huge plus to our stay was the 24-hour use of the room used for the free breakfast each morning. Coffee, hot water for tea, assortment of tea bags, microwave (there wasn't one in our room but we did have a mini-fridge), utensils, paper products, napkins, and several tables with chairs to use at your leisure at any time of the day.

We were very busy during the day in the city so at night we didn't want to drive if we didn't have to... directly across the street is a small pizza place that we walked to for dinner. Good food and value for what we needed. They couldn't have been nicer to us. Also within walking distance is a 7-11 for small necessities. There are plenty of dining, grocery, and gas station options within a very short driving distance, too.

During our stay in mid-March, we found the interior of the hotel to be very quiet, even though the parking garage seemed almost full. I only saw one other child during our entire stay so we made sure to keep ours quiet walking through the halls!

The only sour note to our visit was the missed wake-up calls. We use our cell phones and travel alarm clock as back-ups so we were saved - so this was not a problem for us. Always have a back-up ready if you are on a schedule in the mornings!

Overall, a great value for the money. We wouldn't hesitate to return in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean, not the PCH, are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Hermosa for a long weekend in February and enjoyed our stay very much. Although a little dated, this hotel was very clean and well maintained and the staff was friendly and helpful. The location was excellent with easy access to Hermosa beach and PCH so access to everything, including LAX, was very easy. We had a nice small suite with the bed, which was confortable with nice sheets, was in a loft above the sitting area and the balconies (2 of them) with views of the Pacific were great!

Room Tip: The suite with the loft was wonderful with its own balcony but you have to climb a spiral staircase...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Hermosa? Share your experiences!