“No better Indian food from LA chain restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #40 of 123 Restaurants in Hermosa Beach
Cuisines: Indian
Santa Monica, California
“No better Indian food from LA chain restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

While not exhaustive in my search, L.A.'s mixed bag of Subcontinent eateries settle into three categories: the usually excellent single establishments, the spotty take outs, and the small chains. Of the latter, Akbar chain delivers the most consistently credible cuisine. My group tried the Chicken Tikka Masala, Prawn Madras, Gobi Aloo (a yummy cauliflower dish) and Garlic Nan bread. I judge my Indian fare on flavor over hotness. Akbar's dishes have plenty of both. Service is excellent.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Indian food, Akbar, Hermosa Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I've had Indian food from India, to Saudi Arabia, New York, San Francisco, Kansas City, and Los Angeles, so I feel I'm giving Akbar a fair comparison here. For fans of Indian food, you'll understand why this is a short review. 1) The "dinner" vs. entrée +sides is the better deal economically speaking (dinners are about $18 or $19 on average. 2) the flavors are distinct and not like they're all the same sauce with slightly different coloring. 3) The portions are generous. 4) I got take-out, and it was ready really fast and was still very hot when I got home. 5) the garlic nan was tasty but a bit tough, like a sandwich roll gets when you microwave it, but they threw in a few extra pieces, so that was nice. 6) the most negative comment I can make is that the spiciness has been brought down way below what even the average American would think was hot. I'll try the place again, but this time I'll ask for spiciness #4 (on a 1 [mild] to 5 [hot] rating system.) Mine was #3 and not spicy at all. My wife actually added some sri racha to her vegetable korma. I had chicken tikka masala. The sides with the dinners are rice and mixed vegetables. I'll give the place another try, but only one.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“we keep coming back -- it's so good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The setting is kind of dim, in a nice way. The food is always fresh and there is a great range of Indian classics. Service is quick, crowd feels local, and I've never had a bad meal here (in about 15 visits). Kids love it, too.

Visited February 2013
Redondo Beach, California
“Not great, sorry...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This spot is excellently located in the heart of the South Bay. They often have coupons available (two for one) in the local penny savers and mailers...however if you really LOVE Indian food...its just ok.

Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Potatoes Galore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Have eaten here twice in past two months. Portions are generous and the food is excellent. I ordered the full dinners which come with rice, dal, naan, and a side of (I think) fried potatoes and onions. I also ordered raita (extra) and the bowl is enough for four people. The raita also has diced potatoes in it along with the cucumber, which I have never seen before. I ordered vegetarian dishes which had potatoes in them, so ended up with three servings of potatoes in one sitting. I like potatoes, but it was a bit much. My stomach was ready to explode when I left and no room for dessert. I will return again, but skip the raita and cut back on the aloo.

• Visited March 2012