“Good location within walking distance of the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Hermosa Beach
London
“Good location within walking distance of the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I chose this hotel because of it's location within walking distance of the beach. I wasn't disappointed and we strolled down to the beach several evenings before having dinner in one of the many restaurants there. The room itself was large compared to most other HIE's I have stayed at and had a fridge and microwave. The beds were comfortable and I slept very well. There is some road noise from PCH but I never found this to be a problem. There is free wifi here but my teenage son, who is a very keen online gamer, reckoned it kept dropping out on him. I didn't have a problem but I was just picking up emails on my phone. The complimentary breakfast was pretty standard HIE but perfectly adequate. All in all we had a very good stay here and I would consider this hotel again if I were in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get a high room away from PCH if you are sensitive to road noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear emnjnee,

Thank you for chooseing Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach. We are happy to hear your enjoyed your stay here. We hope to see you again soon.

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The good: Check in went smoothly, despite us having four adults in one room with two queen beds. We were prepared for them to possibly question that, but it was not a problem. The room came with a dorm size fridge, microwave and coffee maker. It was very clean when we arrived. Note - when we ARRIVED.

The lobby was nicely decorated with fairly modern decor. We ended up hanging out there several times in the late afternoon while our room was being "cleaned". They offered complimentary coffee 24/7, which was average - but nice for the one serious caffeine addict in our group. The elevator was busy all day long, but had no problems going up and down from our room on the second floor. There are stairs close by too, which we used a few times that we were not weighed down by bags, etc.

Complimentary breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn fare; I recognized the exact same layout of food choices as at other Holiday Inn hotels I have stayed in around the country. They offered eggs, bacon/sausage, cinnamon rolls (very delicious but I'm sure very unhealthy!), pancake maker that would spit out just ONE little pancake at a time, bagels, English muffins, toast, hard boiled eggs, small yogurts, milk, apples,bananas, oatmeal packets, selection of several dry cereals (raisin bran, Cheerios, etc.) and of course coffee, tea, milk and juice. The dining area was a bit cramped, but kept clean by an attendant who scurried around cleaning up after the steady flow of diners.

The pool/spa area is outside, but covered - which is nice (gives one a break from being frequently exposed to UV rays). The side that faced the street was nicely landscaped with thick bushes outside the iron fencing, which dampened street noise and offered privacy. The pool itself was adequate, clean & not overly chlorinated. The spa/hot tub however was questionable (as most public ones are), overflowing with foam - which is not a good sign. I don't recall exactly what causes the foam in a hot tub, except that it is not desirable and a sign that chemicals aren't balanced. I did not chance going into it myself.

The really nice part about the pool area was that we were able to go there straight from being at the beach, still feeling salty & sandy, and shower off (in our swimsuits, of course) in the open shower before taking a dip in the pool. I'd never seen a setup like this before, with part of the pool area including a large, open shower space with multiple shower heads to allow one to rinse off in. This resulted in us tracking minimal sand up to our room, which has always been an issue in the past when we've had beach vacations. One complaint about the pool area: the pool towels were TINY - the size of hand towels - when they were even there at all! Several times we went, there were no clean towels at all.

The walk to the beach was less than a mile, but a bit further than I would have liked. It was just far enough away to make us have to really plan when we wanted to go. There were multiple restaurants of all types within walking distance, and a CVS drugstore just across the parking lot - which was nice for last minute forgotten items, etc. Parking was FREE at the hotel, which is a big deal - because many of the Cali hotels charge for parking nowadays, up to $25/30 daily at some hotels. That adds up quickly, needless to say.

Hermosa Beach itself was actually very nice as far as LA beaches go. There was minimal trash, overall the beach seemed to the type with nice "clean" feeling sand, not rocky but smooth & very comfortable to walk on barefoot. We spent a couple of days surfing, as this is a great beach for surfing! It was also not overly crowded at all & had a comfortable, family-friendly atmosphere. We no longer have small children but if I did, this would be a great beach for someone with little kids.

The bad: In my opinion, the bed was hard and uncomfortable. I would actually wake up with mild aches/pains on whichever side of my body that I'd been sleeping on. The pillows were the absolute worst I've ever experienced anywhere in my life! They all felt like they were pillow case filled with bunched up socks! They were plentiful, each bed had six pillows but they all were horrible. Usually HI hotels have decent beds & pillows, but this one greatly disappointed me.

The housekeeping service was below par. Oftentimes we'd return from a day at the beach around 3 or 4pm, looking forward to relaxing in our tidied up room - only to find it still hadn't been cleaned. The cleaning was spotty at best. It seemed the housekeeping staff would just do the bare minimum: i.e. change out the towels, make the beds, replace the tiny complimentary tolietries that were provided.

Despite making it clearly known that we had FOUR adults staying in the room, they consistently only provided enough towels for two or three people. We had to call daily to ask for extra towels! I was also disappointed to notice that the sink/counter area was not wiped down daily, nor was the toliet or shower cleaned daily. Since we'd stayed there for a full week - this was unacceptable ~ especially since there were four of us using one bathroom. To top it off, the room was obviously not vacuumed often - as there was popcorn bits on it that stayed there for several days until I resorted to picking them up by hand. I had to request for them to vacuum the room.......something that I used to believe was a typical daily chore on a hotel housekeeper's list of things to do.

The REALLY bad: The bathroom did not have an exhaust fan. This may seem to be a minor detail; but it resulting in our room ALWAYS feeling muggy & stuffy as it never did really get a chance to air out with four of us using it. We resorted to propping open the bathroom door whenever it wasn't in use, in order to try to air it out & hopefully try to give the room's air conditioner a chance to remove some of the humidity from the air. It really stunk - literally.

Overall: I felt the room was a bit pricey, considering the service and maintenance of the rooms. I would stay here again if I could get a really good deal on the price of the room, but otherwise - would look for other options.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kendra,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are sorry to hear that some of our amenities did not satisfy your needs. Our double queen sized rooms are best fit for two adults with small children. The facility adheres to all brand standards. Please excuse the busyness during this summer peak season. Our rates are competitive with other branded hotels in the area. Thank you for your stay.
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hotel provides parking and was more reasonably priced than others in the area. It has a spacious lobby and the check-in was very easy, with our room ready well before the usual check-in time. The rooms are modern and spacious and our room facing the car park at the back was very quiet. The complimentary breakfast was great. The hotel is just a gentle 10 minute walk downhill to the waterfront, and then another 5 minutes along the waterfront to the bars and restaurants. Hermose Beach is a great place, we stayed for 2 nights and could have stayed longer. We walked along to Redondo Beach which is about a 20-25 minute walk in the opposite direction and weren't impressed. I would definitely return to Hermosa Beach and would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear gftimes2,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to have you back soon!
Pleasant Grove utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

check in was good. good quiet room. Breakfast was not to bad. Bed was good, pillows a little small. No problems. The beach is within walking distance. There is good parking at the beach but hard to find a spot if it is a busy weekend. Lots of food around. They do not have any shuttle service anywhere. The service desk was helpful with suggestions. Would stay at this place again. It was a little pricey.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RLRPleasantGroveutah,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. We hope to see you again soon.
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This Holiday Inn Express is blocks from the beach and close to solid eating. Bonus too if you're a Anytime Fitness member (there's a really nice one blocks away). It's not the cleanest hotel I've stayed in and the service wasn't that great. We frequently were given only three towels despite having four in our room (and asking daily for that extra towel). We also requested room service to be complete before 2pm because we had to get ready for a wedding rehearsal dinner starting at 2:30. Hard to believe, but they couldn't deliver and we were stuck getting ready while they cleaned up. The breakfast's were routinely poor, as is the case with all Holiday Inn Expresses. Would it be asking too much for a little shredded cheese to fancy up the watery eggs? And don't get me started on the women running the breakfast buffet, I think she needed some more coffee. Anyway, you could do much worse but the reality is that this is just an average place. You're paying for location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear ChadFuber,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am pleased to note that you like our location.

However, I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide. As such, kindly be assured that your comments will be reviewed and will be used to consider updates. Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Maharepa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed one night at the hotel, From the easy parking to the quietness of the large and confortable bedroom, everything was great value for the money.

We want to extend a very special THANK to Raven, who went out of his way, to help us recover a sweater that we had forgotten in the breakfast lounge. We called the hotel three days after departure, when we found out our loss. Raven kept on searching until he was successful, then he took the trouble to ship the sweater back to us. This is a really nice cardigan, we greatly appreciate the staff honesty, nowadays it feels really wonderful to find such a dedication and good service.

We thank the entire staff of the Hollyday Inn in Hermosa Beach ! We will be back.
Eva and Thierry from French Polynesia

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eva and Thierry from French Polynesia,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. We are glad that you were able to get your sweater back. We hope to see you again soon!
Cedarville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel over the past 14 years including a long term stay of over six months. The staff are always top notch and the property has been recently upgraded. The owner is a hands on manager and supervisor and all staff are well trained. Excellent breakfast and limited covered parking. Excellent access to beach and concrete pathway for walking, cycling or jogging.
This hotel is my preference when in Southern California for business or pleasure. Pool and spa are well maintained, with a limited fitness area and business computer access.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear FrankH208,

Thank you for being our loyal guest! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hermosa Beach? Share your experiences!