“Second time was not the charm” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Second time was not the charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was so eager to have my husband try this restaurant. I had been there several times on my last visit to Hermosa Beach and had outstanding food if not outstanding service. The waitress seems to be almost resentful of non regulars. She sat at the table with her regular customers when I was there last time but at least the food was good. She greets regular customers in a warm friendly manner but walk by with blinders on as if she would rather not deal with you. The food had been great on the last visit too (I went there four times in five days last visit). But this time as I was so happy to share this place with my husband for the first time, it was awful. My scrambled eggs were underdone, gelatinous and cold, while the home fries were burnt black on the outside and still raw in the middle. My husband ordered the huevos rancheros, the rice and the beans were both cold. He had ordered bacon on the side which didn't come until after we had both finished. It was dangling off the plate and was barely cooked. They did take it off the check but only after we asked them to do so. We didn't get the right check at first and we were charged for our refills of coffee. The woman who worked the front door was nice and welcoming but our waitress whom I had a couple of times last year is the polar opposite (pun intended.) When she brought the bacon over she said "I can't help what the kitchen does" and as a former waitress (15 years) I get that but not her rudeness when we asked questions about the menu or asked for a glass of water. She had plenty of time to sit down at several tables and visit but not enough to answer any questions. I have to say the muffins that they are famous for are still good.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
California
“I rate this as excellent for what it is”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is a very fine place for breakfast. The ingredients are fresh and the owner took our order and made sure we were happy (which was not hard to do since the food was well prepared and very tasty and the coffee cup was never empty). I would go back again and even make a drive out of my way if I was in the area.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Perfect reasonably priced food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Do not miss their muffins and now you can order their muffin mix online. The owner makes every attempt to make sure you are pleased, the food is excellent never an empty coffee mug. As an added treat their was an acoustic guitar player who had an amazing talent. Stree parking only, outdoor seating.

Visited December 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
“Outstanding burger!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stopped by for brunch during the week after Christmas at a little before noon. Most of their famous muffins had already been sold but they had a couple of cranberry oatmeal left and my daughter got one. On Tammie's recommendation I got a Jitter burger. Unbelievable good burger, covered with cheese, mushrooms, and grilled onions. Menu said 8 ounces of beef, looked bigger. I'll go back for sure.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Good food, marginal service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Food was pretty good. Great variety. Service wasn't as good as it could have been. Women's restroom wasn't clean.