“Surprisingly Great!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Sprite Ocean Front Motel and Apartments

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hermosa Beach
Sea Sprite Ocean Front Motel and Apartments
1016 The Strand, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254   |
Ranked #7 of 7 hotels in Hermosa Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Surprisingly Great!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Honestly, rolling up to this motel I was a little sketched out. Hermosa Beach is a lovely area, but a cheap motel on the beach I was thinking that it was going to be icky inside (we needed a place to crash after a long day and our other plans for the night fell thru). The rate was good, the check in was fast and efficient. The front door of the room is a sliding glass door, like something that would be on a patio. It was a little hard to get the door locked on the inside, but finally I did. The room was VERY clean.. there's a small refrigerator, microwave and tv in the room. This is definitely not for people looking to lounge comfortabley inside all day but the beach is literally right out the front door. Awesome! The room got really hot, instead of putting the a/c on we cracked the "front" sliding door. The curtain over the door didn't cover completely, so people walking by could definitely look in and see us in bed... eww. We were on the 2nd floor, so that was good, but walking to and from our room we could see into other peoples rooms too (and people laying in bed). There were plenty of towels and the bedding was nice. This is definitely a good place to crash. Oh! and we had two cars .... 1 free spot comes with the room and the front desk allowed us to rent an additional spot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Southport North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I planned a month long stay in the Hermosa-Redondo Beach area and wanted to have a bit of space, cooking area and be close to the beach. This was a great find - we can walk to the library, the grocery store, multiple restaurants and in a minute have the bicycle on The Stand for a ride or be on the beach. It fits all our needs nicely. We have another trip booked!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Santa Ana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

When I first arrived I wasn't sure at all what I was expecting. ( a friend of mine told me I should stay there and when they said it was right on the beach I was sold). Yes it is a older place, but if you actually do you research on a place before you stay there then you would know that! So half the people complaining about how run down it is, honestly you got no one to blame but yourself! The hotel website even states that the rooms are all smoking rooms. Anyways, check in was easy, I can't recall the guys name young Hispanic guy, VERY nice and helpful when I asked for suggestions on where to eat. Once I got to my room, I was in love, and had nothing to do with the room, the view was to die for! Yes it's a little loud but seriously your on the beach and it's summer time what else would you expect! I had a great mini getaway and I will be back more than once!

Room Tip: The full ocean view rooms are AMAZING!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Ontario, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

It is year 6 of my family going here each summer. Again, its not the Ritz Carlton, and if you are expecting that then you can probably do yourself a favor and not be a cheap *** and go book a room there. If you like the beach, the partying that goes with it. If you like great food that isnt corporately owned, riding bikes down the best stretch of sand there is the Sea Sprite.

We had no bugs, no worries and no hurries. We spend time at the beach, on the Strand and on 'Sparkley Street', not sitting in the room pouting about what it 'should' or 'could' be.

James and Judith at the front desk are always helpful... and the motel is always full for a reason. Oscar has been on the maint. crew since I started coming and so has the lead housekeeper. Its a family hotel for families... albeit families who like to have a good time and perhaps get a little loud and wild once in a while.

I had a great time, the wife and kids had a great time as did our travelling guests from other rooms.

Room Tip: Different room stylesa ll around the place... it really depends on your parties needs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Check in time is 3 PM. We weren't given our room until 4:30 PM. The room was average. Talking to the people at the front desk was a terrible experience. When we returned home we recieved a call from the bank that someone had stolen our credit card number and spent over $1000. Won't be back ever.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

I have read some bad reviews but trust me the sprite motel does not se like a motel but rather then a family type ocean front hotel. Location is great we stayed for 2 nights ocean front balcony everything was good hot showers clean bathroom full kitchen right on the ocean will come back again abc again pool was great as well and where the motel sits is right next to clubs comedy clubs bars restaurants. I paid $500 for 2 nights well worth every penny for being on the ocean

• Stayed July 2012
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Despite the strand location, this motel was horrible . Gauze curtains that didn't cover the sliding glass door, door that got stuck and lifted, old and battered down, no hair dryer , mattress thin and lumpy, pillows very thin...could go on and on, but most of all terrible condescending help.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sea Sprite Ocean Front Motel and Apartments? Share your experiences!