“Sliding downhill on all that grease” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 82 Restaurants in Healdsburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Description: At Zin, our menu offers a mix of familiar favorites from classic American fare and original creations inspired by regional specialties. Our menu changes often and reflects our commitment to seasonal food. Our food is prepared from local ingredients showcasing the best of what our region has to offer.
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Sliding downhill on all that grease”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The last time we were in this area (some years ago) and had dinner at Zin, it was excellent. We were looking forward to it this time and are sorry to report that it's not as great as we think it had been. The signature appetizer, green beans in beer-batter tempura was so wildly greasy that we had to keep wiping off the oil dripping from our hands and gave up on the beans half-way through. Even the rice on my dish was overly buttered or oiled or whatever, as was the sole with some sort of batter. I should have blotted everything. We felt as if we were sliding out of there afterwards. Sorry to report this as we had been so delighted at the previous visit. Maybe it was a bad night, or maybe they had a couple of gallons of oil they wanted to get rid of.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Scott S, Scott Silva, Owner and Manager at Zin Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Hi Mickey,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was disappointed to hear that you think we've gone downhill, as I can assure you that we haven't changed our commitment to fresh, flavorful recipes.

I apologize if you were not satisfied with your dinner. Did everything just taste overly seasoned and oily? Let us know. I will make a point of passing along your comments to Jeff, our chef.

I know, as you do too, that we are capable of much better so I'd encourage you to give us another chance. I promise that, with a couple of adjustments, we'll be just as delicious next time! Thanks again for sharing, and take care.

Lafayette, Louisiana
“Surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We were able to walk in on a Thursday night for a party of 8. Had tried to get reservations for Friday and was unsuccessful.
Great wait staff, great food and an enjoyable experience.

Visited October 2012
"Great wait staff, great food and an enjoyable experience"—this is precisely what we love to hear, thank you Sharon! What dishes did you and your party get a chance to try?

We look forward to serving you again the next time you're in town! Until then, take care.

Best regards,

Philadelphia, PA
“Some great, some not so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Ate here in Oct 2012. Had one dish (duck confit gumbo) that was tremendous with a great depth of flavor and creativity. Wife had another dish (pork shank) that was tender, but under-seasoned, boring, and almost downright bad. In other words: hit and miss. Wine list was decent, but not as spectacular as you might expect for the region.

Visited October 2012
Thank you for sharing! The duck confit gumbo is a tried and true winner, and like you said it has tremendous flavor and creativity. Our chef, Jeff, will really appreciate hearing this!

At the same time, it is important to us that all of our dishes are satisfying and flavorful, and I was discouraged to read that you didn't care for the pork shank. Do you think it just needed a tad more seasoning?

While we take a lot of pride in our cooking, we are always looking to improve. With this in mind, please feel free to let us know how you think it could have been more delicious. I can assure you that our kitchen will take your feedback into consideration!

We hope to welcome you back the next time you're visiting from Philadelphia, as we'd love the chance to "wow" you with all of our options. Thanks again, and take care.

Cheers,

Rohnert Park, California
“Delicious food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have only eaten here once and was delighted with my food selection. I had the pork and it was so tender and very tasty. I must make it back here to try more of their specialties! Right in the heart of wine country!

Thank you for reviewing us! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the pork, and will pass along your compliments to our kitchen.

You'll have to come back, and try some of our other specialties. Did you have your eye on anything else in particular? We take a lot of pride in all our dishes, and I can promise you won't be disappointed with any of our options.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience with others. It means a lot to us, and we hope to see you soon. Thanks again, and take care!

Cheers,

New Jersey
“Zin not quite there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I must say, this is the second time my wife and I have dined here on our travels to Sonoma, and it was a bit off since our first time. We usually go on a Sunday night, for the "blue plate special" Fried chicken dinner. My wife loves it, and it was really good. I had the hanger steak, and while it was cooked perfectly, the sauce on the meat was very heavy and over powering. I couldn't finish it unfortunatley. A little less on the sauce and it would have been much better. Great selection on the wine list, had a wonderful Rafannelli Zin. Nice casual atmosphere too. Overall, not as good as the first time, and pretty good, but could be better. Service, by the way, was excellent, and our table was ready right on time for our reservation.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for reviewing us. Although I'm pleased to hear that you experienced such excellent service, I am disappointed that you weren't satisfied your steak. It is important to us that every dish is satisfying, and I promise to share your comments with the kitchen.

Was it just a matter of there being too much sauce? We can easily fix this for next time!

We aim for a five-star experience, so if you happen to have any further suggestions for what we could do better next time, don't hesitate to let us know.

I know, and I'm sure you do too, that we are capable of much better. That said, we hope to welcome you back soon, and the opportunity to really "wow" you. Thank you for sharing, and take care!