“Nice room, broken AC” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Oakland, CA
“Nice room, broken AC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The room and service were great, mostly, and I'd give them a higher rating except the AC turned off in the middle of the night & it was way too hot. We called down to the front desk and though it seemed like they didn't believe us we finally asked for a fan and they gave it to us (we had to go down and get it).

In the morning the AC started up again on its own with no explanation. The woman who answered our midnight call didn't make a note of it and so when we were checking out the new person at the front desk didn't believe us (again), so hopefully they did actually go up to the room in the middle of the night to troubleshoot the machine, since it doesn't cool down at all at night. Overall the hotel was nice and the employees were nice, but having a relatively small problem become a fiasco biased my review a bit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
abvishealdsburg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest,
We greatly appreciate your business and apologize for the AC issue. It's not that the front desk clerk didn't believe you. She was just surprised to find out that this AC had a problem since it is only a few months old. We corrected the problem and the unit is back in working order.
We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We were allowed to check in early only to find out the room was not ready and the beds were not made yet. Once cleaned the hotel seemed ok until the second night when we noticed a spider and what we thought were two ticks on the curtains. I took photos of what we thought were ticks and let the bugs free outside the room.

The second day we were at the hotel we walked into our room only to find out someone from the same wedding we were at was in our room watching TV. He was let into the room by the cleaning staff who had her 4 small children with her cleaning the rooms. This was AFTER we requested that our room not be cleaned that day. This was not cause for immediate alarm because we had met that person THE DAY BEFORE and didn't want to make a huge deal out of an isolated incident. To be clear - he was NOT staying in our room and should not have been let in.

The night we found the bugs I did not sleep - at. all. Not only were our neighbors talking in the room next door but I couldn't help but feel itchy and like bugs were crawling on me. I showered the next morning and got out of there right away. I didn't think much more about the bugs until I got home and looked online to find out what type of tick would be in a hotel room in Healdsburg.

To my surprise they were not ticks they were BED BUGS. I have attached some pictures below so you can see why they could be mistaken for ticks. However, ticks do not have the pointy bottom these had. Bedbugs, however, do.

I called the hotel and complained once where the manager was very friendly and said he would investigate how to handle this issue and compensate me for our two night stay, and call me or email me. He took down my number and email address and never reached out. I have called back multiple times to follow up and the manager is either not there, or they just don't answer the phone. I was not compensated for any amount of our stay. The hotel didn't even have the decency to follow up like they said they would.

I really wish I didn't have to speak so poorly of this hotel, it seemed really cute and in the right location for the right price, but I would have rather slept in the parking lot in a car than waste my money on this unsafe dirty place again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
abvishealdsburg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest,
We sincerely apologize for this terrible incident and have taken drastic actions to eliminate the bug problem. We are also instating a regular maintenance program to inspect and treat for bugs with a certified pest control company so this never happens again. We have also put strict controls in place with all our staff not to open guest rooms and let people into rooms without proper identification. All guests must go to the front office and request a replacement key by providing proper identification. With large wedding groups and multiple people sharing a room, we were lacking the necessary controls to ensure safety of our guests. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I know a refund for your stay does not justify the issue and hand so we sincerely apologize. We hope to do much better in the future.
Thank you for your understanding.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Elevated price for average motel niveau. We arrived on the town fairly late needing accomodation but still nearly 200 dolllars for night is too expensive for a room with cupboard missing a door and dusty tables and normal neighbour room conrversatiin hearing through walls.

• Stayed June 2014
abvishealdsburg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. We will certainly look into the issues you pointed out and correct them. We recognize that the room prices can be a bit high during summer weekends or when there are special events in town but we will strive to provide the best overall value compared to any other properties in our area.
GM
Trinidad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

For the price -- not so much value - since I knew I was paying more for the ABVI brand. Internet was adequate. I would recommend those with dogs avoid this place with faux hardwood floors, however. Breakfast skimmed the surface: cereal mainly. It just seemed to be an overpriced local family-owned "motel".

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
abvishealdsburg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We continually monitor our prices among the limited service properties in Healdsburg and strive to offer the best overall value including the best pricing to our guests. I would love to hear any specific suggestions you may have on improving our complimentary continental breakfast or other amenities.

Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We had a two-queen bed room. The room was clean and spacious. The beds were on the soft side, but not objectionally so. Our room had a passage door to the next room which admitted our neighbors' voices even though it was closed. Ask for a room without a passage door if you don't need it. The continental breakfast was simple: cereal, toast, juice, and coffee - make it all yourself. Overall, a good utilitarian value for the price.

Room Tip: Avoid a room with an interior passage door unless you need it.
Green Features: Practices not really visible but conserves soap and shampoo by having a dispenser.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
abvishealdsburg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We will certainly look into improving the noise situation from adjacent rooms thru the interior passage door. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.
Thank you.
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Within walking distance to Downtown Healdsburg and around the corner from both a market and a winery collective. Nice room with hardwood floors and a flat screen TV. Good bed and a GREAT price. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jaynine,
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience staying at our property.
Thank you and we hope to see you real soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife & I decided to come through & stay in Healdsburg at 6pm on New Years Eve with no reservations. We chose to stay here over other known hotels available in Windsor & Santa Rosa. We weren't disappointed. The unit was clean, the bed decent, had a flat screen, was close to downtown & under $90 with NO RESERVATIONS! The young desk attendant let us preview the room with no reservations after I told her of the negative reviews I had read & was very cheerful & accommodating. When I called the office after 10pm for tv operating instructions she cheerfully talked me through my lameness. A delightfully unexpected stay. Great value for us on all levels.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We appreciate you choosing our property for your stay in Healdsburg. We continually strive to offer the best overall value to our guests and have earned a loyal customer base. We hope you will choose us again for your future stay in Healdsburg.
Thank you.
Kam.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!