“Comfie beds, DISH TV, 10 min walk to Plaza” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   74 Healdsburg Ave, Healdsburg, CA 95448   |
Ranked #7 of 8 hotels in Healdsburg
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Comfie beds, DISH TV, 10 min walk to Plaza”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I wanted to start off with the positive and give the type of information I had been looking for before I booked...
Positives:
Comfortable beds
Spacious room
DISH TV
10 minute walk to Healdsburg Plaza (downtown/main area for all that you want to do/visit)
Kam, the GM, really does care about the patron's experience
Front desk person, Maite (sp?), very nice
Working microwave TV and frig in the room
Coffee maker - and the main replaced the coffee that was used each morning
Near a McDonald's, who now has fresh baked chocolate chip cookies; and that rocks!
Very closeby to two Spanish markets, though you will need to speak basic Spanish to get anything. (Not a problem for me - but may be if you only speak English.)
If you want to have a slugfest - it's also near La Pizza, where you can get delivery, eat in, or pick up and bring back since it is close walking distance to hotel.
Pool and jacuzzi both were clean, though I didn't use either and can't vouch if the jacuzzi worked --- just saw them.
Easy and plentiful parking.
Front desk open 24/7.
Continental breakfast is absolutely decent - exactly what you would expect - cereal, milk, juice, coffee, bagels or toast. Nothing to complain about --- and a nice perk. (I didn't eat the breakfast - but saw it - and it was perfectly fine.)
Negatives:
Peter is nice but he should not be interfacing with the public due to an extreme inability to communicate effectively; his English is profoundly difficult to understand and he similarly doesn't understand what you are saying.
The maid service, relative to cleanliness, is terrible - I mean awful. I will list the problems regarding lack of cleanliness: 1. red stain on carpeting, which looked like blood, though I'm not sure --- was never cleaned and it wasn't put there by me. 2. I had a beer twist off top in my bathroom for my entire stay; and I never drank a beer - I inherited it and it was never removed. 3. My room was never vacuumed the entire time I was there; I am 100% sure of this because of things on the bedroom carpeting that remained throughout my stay. 4. The clock was unplugged and in a drawer. (Eventually I found it, set it and was good to go.) 5. The lamp in the "suite" part of the room doesn't work. Either take it out or fix it.
At no fault of the hotel's - the walking path to the Plaza is non-existent and often times dangerous. Again - this isn't ABVI's issue - it's the town of Healdsburg issue. However, as a guest walking into town you will have to contend with this. Supposedly there is a path out the back of the hotel where you can walk to Exchange and then on a sidewalk to the Plaza - but that door was locked - and besides ---- there still isn't sidewalk entirely from the hotel to the Plaza. When you first leave the hotel to get to road to get to the Plaza - you are literally and absolutely walking in the road; you must be extremely cautious. The walk is no problem, however, during the day. At night, especially if you are alone/a solo traveler --- you really need to think about whether or not you want to risk the in-the-dark-walk home. I did one night (I had lots of wine so was fearless!) --- but I was hyper vigligent and crossed the street to the more "lit" side several times. It's just something to think about if you are walking alone. If you have company - much less worry - though again - you still have a large part of the walk with no sidewalks to contend with.
There are dispensers in the bathroom for conditioning shampoo (not a separate shampoo and separate conditioner), shower gel --- these actually in the shower --- and I think that's OK --- but if you plan to wash your hair, you'd need to bring condition. The soap and lotion dispenser above the bathroom sink has body lotion that is like water. Even cheap Vaseline Intenstive Care Lotion would be better than that --- but! --- at least it's something.
The towels are very thin --- but they were clean.
The remote control for the TV ONLY works for volume. If you try to use the channel changer - you will mess up EVERYTHING! You have to get up and manually hit the up or down channel changer that is part of the DISH connector. The second you use the remote control for anything other than volume - you are screwed and will lose the connection to DISH.
HORRIBLE soundproofing. I heard every door slam, every step a person took, every voice, every everything. I had to sleep with TV on, fan on high, and bathroom light-fan on too, not to mention ear plugs. That said - because the bed really was comfortable - I did sleep pretty darn good!

Room Tip: I think you might be better on top floor so that you don't hear all of the footsteps from above...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
abvishealdsburg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us all the good as well as "need to improve" parts of our property. I do really appreciate it. Many times guests simply just tell us the negatives but I am glad you highlighted some of the positives. Rather than detail all the steps I will be taking to address the issues you mentioned, I will say that I take our guest comments seriously and will be taking steps to correct everything we can. There are things that we may not be able to change immediately such as Peter at the front desk during off hours. This is a small family run business and given the current economic conditions, we are doing the best we can managing the business ourselves part of the time. But as business improves, we hope to hire additional desk clerks for our front office. There are always challenges with running this type of a business but our goal will always be to provide clean and comfortable guest rooms, proper service and the best value for the money.
Thank you for staying with us.
Kam

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
South San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I wrote a review in September that the Inn had overbooked and did not have the two rooms that we reserved. I e-mailed the General Manager and he offered us a free night's stay for two rooms. We just went this weekend. There was no problem with checking in. They gave us two king suites...complimentary. The rooms were big and clean. The bathroom tiles and granite tops looked new. Also had microwave and fridge in the room. Very comfortable and very convenient...close to town square. I'm happy with how management dealt with the overbooking issue

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
abvishealdsburg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to correct our mistake. I am extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The hotel has a great location! just couple of blocks from the downtown.
They have breakfast in the regular price which offer cereals, bagels, etc.
The room was clean and neat.
I didn't go to the pool but it looks like a desereted place and a little bit unlcean although the season was still summer

Room Tip: Ask for two queen beds even if u r couple. you'll find out it has more space room than others
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
abvishealdsburg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. Our pool areas is open year round and I will certainly work with our staff to make sure it is clean and ready for our guests. For guests requiring more space, I would also recommend our King Suites which has a living room area separate from the sleeping area.
Thank you once again and we hope to see you in the future.
Finger Lakes NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is within walking distance of downtown Healdsburg so that was a plus to us. The hotel was clean and our price was cheaper than others have indicated in their reviews so hopefully their comments helped the management to recognize that price should match quality. Breakfast is served in the lobby with VERY limited choices and 8 chairs for seating. Perhaps doing away with the breakfast and lowering the price further might help attract customers to this well-located establishment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
abvishealdsburg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest,
We want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are continually evaluating the amenities we offer and try to make improvements to provide the best value to our customers. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon.
Thank you.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Booked a room here because we were dining in Healdsburg and did not want to drive home late at night afterwards. Weeknight rate was only about $85. I was a bit concerned because of the negativity of some of the review here. However, I feel we got good value for the money. My particular room had a king size bed, was large, and clean. Didn't spend much time there and didn't have the breakfast. I would not hesitate to stay overnight again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
abvishealdsburg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our property. We hope to see you again in the future.
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

For $189 per night (AAA) rate for 2 queen beds I would stay someplace else. This hotel is jacking up the prices because of the location (wine country). We had 2 rooms. 106 & 122. 122 was nicer then 106, but this price is a rip off. 106 is in the single level area of the hotel. The room was tiny and had 1 King bed.

The FREE continental breakfast was not good at all and we ended up walking around the corner the Mc Donalds for breakfast.. Small red apples, apple juice machine not working, no bananas, etc. Basically just toast, some bagels and fairly good coffee. Would not recommend staying here, but we had to because we were attending a wedding. We will drive home next time if we are in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
abvishealdsburg, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Kevin,

We understand your frustration and we are continually striving to provide the best value to our guests. We do realize the prices are high for hotel rooms in Healdsburg during a couple of busy summer weekends but when compared to every other property in town, we are extremely competitive and I can confidently say that we charge significantly less than any other comparable limited service property in town. I encourage you to compare hotel pricing at any online travel sites. We are not claiming to be a full service property with extended offerings and we are certainly not charging the type of prices that are being charged by full service or other limited service properties in town which range upwards of $250 to $300 per night. Our goal is to provide a reasonable rate for comfortable accommodations for our guests and will continue to do so. You are correct that our complimentary breakfast is continental which includes orange and apple juice, individually brewed coffee, two types of toasts, bagels, two types of cereal, fresh seasonal fruits and condiments. We are always trying to improve upon our continental offering and are welcome to suggestions.
Once again, we do apologize if our property and the value we provided didn't meet your expectations. We will continue to evaluate our pricing as well as the amenities we provide to our guests and improve upon them.

Thank you for your time.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

If you are ignoring previous reviews and staying here because it's the cheapest in the area and walking distance to the Plaza- beware. Although it is quoted cheaper, that does not mean that they will charge you the correct amount on your credit card. Dealing with this hotel has been a NIGHTMARE. I have managed to get part of my refund back ($300 for one night, when it was supposed to be $170), but not all of it.

The hotel I expected to be awful since it was cheap and because of the reviews (which it was- found trash in the dresser, hairs in my bed, scorching hot with a barely working AC, terrible customer service at the front desk- refusal to give us a receipt for our stay), but I did not think I would have so much trouble on the billing side. This has been a nightmare of a bureaucracy to penetrate to do anything minor- cancel a night, confirm a reservation, get charged correctly, etc. I recommend you stay at a place down the road that is just cheap and you can pay $10 to cab into the Plaza and not deal with these people. Your time is worth more than what you save staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear MA,
We are terribly sorry for all the confusion and inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We actually communicated via email seven times prior to your arrival where I tried to help correct your reservation. You had booked for two nights thru an on-line third party website and wanted to cancel one of the nights. I requested for you to cancel the unwanted night thru the same agency where you booked since we cannot do that at the property. It is just not allowed. If you have made the booking directly with the property, then we could make any changes you need and have the greatest flexibility. You never modified your reservation and we were forced to hold your room for both nights, hence the charge for two nights. During one of the busiest weekends of the year where business need to capture revenue, this put us in a very difficult situation. If we have a legitimate reservation, we cannot resell your room since it is guaranteed. Nevertheless, I refunded one night's stay and lost revenue. Then you complained about the amount of the refund stating it was short. In fact, the amount you felt was short was actually the transit tax for the one night you did stay. This is money that we provide to the city of Healdsburg as tax revenue. Nevertheless, I also refunded the tax amount and incurred additional loss of revenue. I understand your frustration but I feel that I did the best I could to help you correct your reservation prior to your arrival as well as providing appropriate refunds after your stay. We communicated over at least 9 email where I provided you instruction on how to correct the situation to avoid the problems so I am really not sure what else I could have done. The only thing I can recommend is that in the future, where you choose to stay, make your reservation directly with the property instead of using a third party website. The property has much greater control over the reservation to make changes as needed and gives the business flexibility so they don't incur loss of revenue.
Sincerely.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!