“NOLA in California” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
santa monica
“NOLA in California”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Arrived around 1030AM. Breakfast menu looked interesting. We were told if we were willing to wait until 11AM, lunch orders could be placed. We ordered beignets for the table with coffee and waited. The beignets are as good as Cafe du Monde. There was 1 other table doing the same thing. 2 oyster, 1 shrimp and 1 crawdad po'boys were ordered fully dressed. All were excellent but the crawdad was the winner. The french bread is perfect. The only flaw was there was too much shredded lettuce. The Honkey Donkey sauce should be used but sparingly--it is made in Healdsburg and is based on Habanero peppers, so beware. If you love it, as we did, buy a bottle. I don't think you can any place else.

Visited March 2013

Healdsburg, California
“Can you say "Beignet"? You'll end up saying, "Plus s'il vous plait"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Do yourself a favor -- order the Beignets ($5 for a plate of three - available all day).

So what ELSE did we order?

The Crawfish and Andouille omelet ($11) was enjoyable, although the potatoes were uninspiring. The (grilled) Shrimp & (butter-laden) Grits are also recommended.

Fried (breaded) oysters w/ poached egg and Hollandaise sauce was offered as a special -- wished I'd ordered 'em for myself. My brother-in-law made short work of them, and he's a tough critic when it comes to food. I won't let these pass me by next time -- Highly recommended if offered.

The downside? Can't make reservations, and the place IS popular. Expect to wait, especially on weekends.
HINT: Enjoy the local antique collective (in the same parking lot while you wait -- the restaurant will call you on your mobile when they're ready to seat you.

Will return mid-week to attempt po' boys for lunch -- saw some on plates as we were leaving, and it looks like lunch would be a treat, too!

FYI, The Parish Cafe is open from 9am to 4 pm for breakfast and lunch (after 11:30am).
Sure wish they took reservations.....

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Geyserville, California
“New Orleans in Healdsburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Love this place. The sandwiches are awesome and generous portions. I've had the muffuletta (enough for four) which is just as good or better then the ones I had in New Orleans. The oyster and shrimp po boys are to die for. My husband had the ham and cheese which was very good. Haven't tried breakfast but I've heard great things. Its a bit hard to get into at lunch time so go early or late.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Healdsburg, California
“delicious food with a creole/cajun flair”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The lunches are great, nice selection of Po'Boys, but i particularly like the Muffuletta. However, even better that the lunches are the great breakfasts and light as air beignets. Definitely go for the eggs Ponchartrain. Friendly staff, and cozy ambiance has made this place a regular stop for me and my kids (did I mention that you can watch them making the beignets right at the counter...a favorite pasttime for the kids)

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lively and tasty southern food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The space is small and lots of folks want to get in. Didn't have to wait very long, though. I had sides as a meal and enjoyed tastes I hadn't had for many years. Reminded me of my Grandma and Mom's recipes. Just please don't refer to me as "Ya'll."

Visited December 2012