“Wine Country Bikes - simply the best” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 117 Activities in Healdsburg
Type: Tours
Attraction Details
Kingsport
“Wine Country Bikes - simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

My wife and I recently completed a six-day self-guided tour of Sonoma and Napa Counties. This was our second such trip, the first being in 2005. John, Andy, and Joe each played a role in planning and supporting our tour. We chose the hybrid (Trek 7200 aluminum frame) bikes as a compromise between her comfort bike and my Trek 5200 road bike. The bikes were custom fitted for us based on info we e-mailed, and were fine-tuned upon our arrival.

They picked us up from the Sonoma County airport (there's a bus from SFO to Sonoma for $32) and took us straight to the shop so that we could get in 5-6 hours the first day. On the final day, they let us bring the bikes in after 4:00, shower at the shop, and hauled us back to the Sonoma County airport.

They made reservations for us at three fine B&Bs and two excellent restaurants (Zin and Cindy's Backstreet). They hauled our luggage from inn to inn and hauled our bikes and us between Sonoma and Napa counties. All of this was included in the package, as well as energy bars, Gatorade, water bottles, even frozen water bottles to keep our drinks cool during the day since it can be kinda warm in September.

They were always a phone call away to help with other dinner recommendations and even made the reservations for us. That included the one night we were supposed to be at Cindy's but I forgot.

We managed to ride 150+ miles in six days, with a long ride of about 41 miles. We never had a hint of a problem with the equipment, but were confident in getting help from WCB if we did. We will be back, and it won't be four years between tours this time!

Oh, and the scenery and wineries are great as well... :-)

dallas
“Wow - what a great time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

All the folks at wine country bikes were super, John, Andy, Joe were terrific. Equipment was very well maintained. We booked with them for a 3 day package deal and and eerything they did was top notch from the Grape leaf inn, to the dinner that was included at Zin, even the lunch on the guided tour day. I was impressed that they didn't cut corners anywhere and stuff was even included I did not know about.
And I think it sealed the deal that my husband and I are going to get into biking. we have been dabbling and thinking about it and we had so much fun we are ready to go.

My one recommendation might be to take the group on the easy 3 mile loop just to make sure everyone is well suited for the 25 mile ride. May have ensured all were up for the day.

York, PA
“Fun way to see the wineries”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We took a beautiful 25 mile guided bike tour through Sonoma County. Our guide was wonderful as we stopped along the way to taste wines and have a wonderful picnic lunch.

Toronto, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Great Resource for Cycling in Sonoma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We used Wine Country Bikes to rent bikes and plan self-guided trips for 3 couples. They were extremely accommodating and helpful. The bikes were good quality and trouble free. They gave us useful maps and accessories and were a pleasure to deal with.

Rhode Island
“First Bike trip, GREAT time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

My husband and I did the five day self guided tour at the end of May, and we had a great time. Andy was our point of contact, and he did a great job explaining all the information that they have put together for this tour. They have really done their homework on this. The directions were distance based, and they set us up with a handle bar map holder that held the real maps and the written directions for easy reference.

We aren't what I'd call experienced bicyclists. We don't ride regularly and just got our first bicycling shorts specifically for this trip. We're mid-30's and like to think we're in decent shape. I'll admit we walked a fair share of hills, but it was always worth it when we got to the tops! I returned home wanting to bike more often. The main advice I have is go over Coleman Valley road, if you like gorgeous scenery, do it!

As newbies, we opted for the luxury accommodations, and were grateful we did. The private hot tubs at the Inn at Occidental that first night were heavenly. The Inn is great too, Tina and Jerry were very welcoming hosts.

We really liked the people from Wine Country Bikes, and they took good care of us. We'll be looking at doing another of their tours in the future I think.