“First time great...second time ordinary” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 81 restaurants in Healdsburg
Cuisines: Mexican
Healdsburg, CA
“First time great...second time ordinary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

My wife and I had not yet tried Agave, so a couple of months ago, we had dinner and ordered molcajete, the day’s special, to share. We were pleasantly surprised by the presentation, quality, and quantity of the meal. The owner/manager was courteous, almost charming, and attentive, and the atmosphere was just right. But the Monday night service was repetitively lacking.
The food arrived bubbling hot, but there was no spoon with which to serve it. I lifted my head, raised an arm, and finally had to leave my table to locate a waitress and make a request.
We soon ate all our tortillas and wished more, and when no employee passed by, my wife had to rise to summon a refill. Even with these service gaffes, when the gracious host appeared tableside to ask if he could do anything else for us, we carped at nothing; the food was so good. We simply expressed delight with the flavors. The proprietor nodded and smiled. We asked for glasses of water. He never returned.
Finally, watered by yet another waitress we had to summon, we requested the check…and chuckled to each other (“We’re in no hurry.”) when it didn’t come.
At last, the tab paid, we exited the restaurant, pleasantly full and agreeing that the food warranted a repeat visit.
We came back today for lunch. The service was prompt and attentive, but the food was simply ordinary.
I guess we’ll have to play the rubber match someday.

• Visited November 2011