“great tip from another winery” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chalk Hill Winery

Chalk Hill Winery
10300 Chalk Hill Road, Healdsburg, CA 95448 (Formerly Wine Country Trail Rides)
707 657-4837
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The true essence of Chalk Hill is its estate, a unique corner of California wine country. Here, proprietor Bill Foley both preserves the nature of the land and honors it by producing wines reflecting its exceptional qualities.
San Angelo, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“great tip from another winery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

was visiting a winery and was chatting with the person pouring the wine and told her I was looking for some wines for my restaurant and she told me to stop here. What a great tip as all the wines I tasted I hope that I can get here in Texas.
The place is wonderful and great views of the hills. It is out in the middle of nowhere but worth finding. Ask to try the dessert wine as it was spectacular

Visited August 2012

Telluride, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“Chalk Hill-very interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

A bit out of the way, but the scenery, hummer tour and general views are worth it. Really enjoyed the Pinot Gris. Next time will plan ahead and do a food pairing.

Visited April 2012
Rancho Santa Fe, California
7 attraction reviews
“Don't do the lunch pairings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

The winery is really nice to see, very big and beautiful. The lunch pairings cost $70 and is really not worth the price, the wine is good but not great, the food was also good but not great, fish and duck. It was nice to look at but you will leave hungry, very small portions, but they do pour nice amounts of wine, but the wine is really average..... they make it out to be the greatest, but to me it was not... you may have a different opinion on it. If your really bored take the tour, otherwise skip it.

Visited March 2012
San Mateo, CA
57 attraction reviews
“Good Wine but.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

This winery is a bit off the main wine tasting grid....it is on lovely highway 128. We stopped in for a tasting. There is plenty of parking and a flight of steps takes you up to the tasting room with lovely views of the vineyards. My husband stepped up to the tasting bar while I went to the restroom. When I came back I was surprised that we were sharing a tasting as we both usually get our own. We tasted the wine which was good and chatted with the host who was nice. Then we left and my husband told me the wine tasting was $15 per person and it wasn't library wines we were tasting. AND if you purchased a bottle they DID NOT waive the cost of the tasting. Really. This is a crazy business practice which I don't understand. The white wine is lovely, but many many others out their that are just as good or better and treat their customers better. Will not return.

Visited February 2012
10 attraction reviews
“The only way to enjoy the vineyards-really!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

My wife and I booked a horseback ride with owner Rafael Hernandez who turns out to be a professional polo player and produces 1st class polo horses. Since my wife and I have zero experience with riding horse we weren't sure what to expect. Rafael was exceptional and our horses were very well trained and behaved. The ride through the Chalk Hill Winery Estate was slow and very enjoyable. Rafael is a people person and enjoys telling stories during the ride. After about 20 min you actually forget that you're riding a horse and have a sense that you've done this before. It was one of the best experiences we had during our 10 day visit to CA. If you are in the mood to try something different I would definitely recommend Wine Country Trail Rides. Rafael and his horses really made us take home to NJ some great memories.

Visited September 2011