“Great Hotel in Healdsburg” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Matheson St., Healdsburg, CA 95448   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Healdsburg
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
“Great Hotel in Healdsburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Hotel Healdsburg was a great place to stay; I highly recommend it. It was comfortable, relaxing and understated. After an exhausting day of wine tasting it is a great place to come back to and unwind because it is functional yet elegant and not at all fussy. It also has a great spa. The staff is super nice and helpful. The concierge was able to give us some great suggestions for wineries to visit and restaurants. The restaurant in the hotel is fantastic. Definitely a great option for the area. Book early because it fills up very fast; we were only able to get a room for 2 of our 3 nights in Sonoma and we booked 3 weeks in advance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Travis L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Healdsburg, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Courtney K,

It's great to hear that you had such a nice stay at Hotel Healdsburg. I'm glad you also had the opportunity to enjoy The Spa and our restaurant. Thank you for your review and I look forward to your next visit.

366 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was our first time at Hotel Healdsburg. The rooms were comfortable and spacious and the pool was lovely and private. Very modern, industrial floor plan in the hallways and rooms. The shower area opened up into the bathroom with no curtain or partition and the shower drain didn't work too well so the entire bathroom flooded with inches of water during showers. Very nice to have other large bathtub option.

• Stayed June 2013
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure you could find a better place to stay when visiting Sonoma. This tends to be an expensive option but it is totally worth it. It is high quality but not pretentious -- with zen like nooks everywhere to relax and unwind. The ambiance throughout the hotel is warm yet clean and crisp, like a good wine the perfect balance. The variety of restaurants right outside the door is fantastic, it was a difficult choice selecting which place to eat each night leaving us wanting extra nights to try them all. Finally you can't beat the central location to visit the famous vineyards (quaint ones too) all within 15 minutes from the hotel -- also easy access to Napa -- a breathtaking drive of about 1 hour -- perfect day trip. Treat yourself to a stay here -- you won't regret it and find yourself longing to go back and do it all over again

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Kristin W,

Thank you for staying with us and writing such a glowing review. It's so nice to hear that Hotel Healdsburg is your top choice when visiting Sonoma County. Let us know when your next visit is so we can assist with getting reservations at restaurants and wineries you have yet to try. You're right, there are so many great options in the area!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've been staying at the HH for a few years now, mostly for Passport to Dry Creek weekend, when town totally gets a bit crazy. I love , love, love the location of the HH, but am a bit worried that it's time for the owner's to ' rethink' how to invigorate this once ' design icon' to bring a bit of new life back to this great space.

Having also stayed at the new sister hotel the H2, it's clear that the ownership has the right vision for what we want as guests . In fact, I love the H2 for it's bathrooms with great light, and lively hotel bar, which give it vitality and energy.

I will continue to stay at the Hotel Healdsburg, as my Healdsburg home away from home, as I love many of the staff there. They have the BEST concierge ever- Tegan- who knows how to solve nearly any issue you might have, plus listens to your needs. She is such an asset.. and I hope the hotel owners know that.

My vision for HH? Bring back a bar for the lobby that is alive and youthful. No, it doesn't need to be just like H2, but how about something other than lonely? Can the bar move to an outside wall so it feels more engaged with town? It's a bit too somber IMHO.

Find a way to lighten up the bathrooms. Yes, I'm over 45- but I'd bet most all women guest would LOVE to be able to see their faces in the mirror when dressing! Build a real mini business center for those of us who need to do a bit of work while away. The funky hall chest desk ( yes.. cool Restoration Hardware item, but not good here) with a chair is not working as a place I can concentrate or feel private. The cool upper level deck is always empty. Why? If you found a way to engage guests to sit there for coffee or drinks - they might hang out there, but it's not inviting enough like it is. I'd love all the rooms ( I've stayed in many) to have a sitting area ( 2 chairs , small table). And how about better Channel or movie choices? I don't want to borrow movies from the lobby downstairs! Somedays you want to see a film that's recent!

I love the pool, and have used the spa ( thanks for helping me find Doug.. he is insanely amazing). But it's time to re-invent the energy of this wonderful hotel.
And while I'm likely to stay at HH most all of the time, I feel as a regular guest- it's time to share what they seem to want to overlook.
This is a fine hotel, with style- in an amazing location. The breakfast each day is terrific ( love the new omelet concept) but it's ready for some fresh energy.
I've been candid with the front desk on all of these points. I'd still suggest friends stay here .. ( it's not inexpensive FYI) but it's time to put a touch of new here too!

If you are traveling to Healdsburg to visit the Dry Creek Vineyards, do keep this on your list. Despite it's need to refresh, it's still a great hotel that offers a boutique/design feel, is romantic, warm and friendly.

Room Tip: Any room facing west or towards the pool works for me.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Travis L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Healdsburg, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Logistar,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough review. We’ll be sure to pass along your kind words to Tegan and the rest of the staff. At Hotel Healdsburg, we strive for excellence and value your feedback. The entire team here, including staff, management, and ownership, is absolutely committed to ensuring the satisfaction of our guests.

The suggestions you provided are being discussed with hotel ownership, and we are in the process of addressing many of them already. We have recently updated our lobby bar so it is brighter and more welcoming. We are also currently in the planning stages with our architects and designers (including a lighting designer) to update all of our guest rooms, public areas, and lobby. We recognize the need to continuously seek out opportunities to improve our very special hotel in order to meet the evolving needs and expectations of our guests.

Thank you again, and I look forward to your next visit.

annapolis, md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The building and the grounds had seen a bit of age, but it fit in well to the wine country setting. The property boasted lots of outdoor lounging areas, a nice pool, breezy courtyards, and a comfortable atmosphere with minimalist decor.

Our Jr. Suite was roomy with great bed linens, heavy cotton towels, large all glass shower, and a substantial patio/balcony which was a great place to relax and enjoy a glass of wine, or the complimentary breakfast. The ceiling heights were tall, and hallways were wide and exceptionally well lit due to the walls of glass showcasing the internal courtyard.

Service was excellent. It helped that the staff was small, so their faces became familiar and everyone addressed us by name. The bell boy/valet/doorman were young but so polite and helpful. Their kindness was truly genuine and their eagerness to please was evident. The location of the hotel was unbeatable - walking distance to all the town's attractions and shops. We had a delightful stay and would eagerly return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We just got back from a long weekend at HH. We have stayed at the sister property across the street, H2, twice in the past 3 years. There is not much of a difference in the two properties, they are both great. The breakfast at HH is more upscale i.e. smoked salmon, eggs to order and fresh juice and they have a spa which doesnt really matter to me because I dont usually use the spa at hotels since I can spa at home in Dallas. The location of these hotels is the best aspect in my opinion, especially if you are going wine tasting. Both hotels offer bikes and both are walking distance to great restsurants ~ who wants to drive to dinner after a day of winery hopping. The best restaurants are Scopa and Barndiva if you want high quality farm to table food. The coolest wineries in the area include Stryker for amazing architecture and great wine, Stonestreet for 90 pt wines and amazing views from comfy tables and I wouldnt miss Bella for the wine cave tasting and stunning grounds! Healdsburg is a romantic getaway - we go every year! Ask for a room not facing the street at either hotel, it gets loud and busy at night from sidewalk traffic and the bars in both hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel is like a Mediterranean gem in the middle of a village located in the Californian wine country. The pool area is fantastic with its trees and design. They really managed to dress up the building so that you forget that you are in a the middle of the quite ordinary house and village. Good Spa. Staff is friendly and helpful. Fantastic breakfast included. Here you can relax. Nice rooms decorated with taste and comfortable beds. I Lowered my rating since the location of the standard room was not that nice facing a noisy backstreet - especially one of the mornings when we where there. Based on the price I was disappointed. If you go for the better located rooms facing the inner yard and are willing to spend the extra money I'm sure you will be happy with booth the room, view and the common areas in this nice design hotel.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Hotel Healdsburg? Share your experiences!