“THE BEST REST OF THE TRIP” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L & M Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Healdsburg
L & M Motel
You added L & M Motel to your Saves list
70 Healdsburg Avenue, Healdsburg, CA 95448   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Healdsburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Crescent City
“THE BEST REST OF THE TRIP”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

The L & M Motel is definitely one of the best family owned motels in the country. My wife and I frequently spend four to six weeks each year on the road seeing our great country and prefer to stay at the smaller motels. We found the L & M by accident,when we exited too soon, but have no regrets. We arrived around 7PM and asked about a cup of coffee, they didn't have any ready, however when we returned from a short trip in the beautiful city of Healdsburg we found a full sized coffee pot with all the needed ingredients waiting in our room. My wife and I both have various physical problems and were graciously shown three of the available rooms prior to check in and allowed to make our selection.
If you plan to stay for a day or a week we agree you could not find a better place to relax with the beautiful courtyard, pool and hot-tub, immediate guest oriented service and the walking distance to downtown. When people look for a home they think LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION; when it comes to the L & M Motel what you get is SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE!
What a great memory and comfortable two day break in our travels.
Darrell & Gladys
Northern Minesota

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
bay area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

This review is about family run L&M Motel in Healdsburg which you cannot book through travel websties. I saw good review about this motel and decided to visit. I am also a californian who likes wine tasting and explore weekend getaways.Now you might ask me why Healdsburg and why not the age old time tested Napa/Calistoga. Good question !! it is better to describe Healdsburg first before getting onto L&M Motel review as it may not be as well known destination compared to Napa/Calistoga.

Healdsburg downtown is one stop place for more wine tasting lounges/boutiques/exquisite cusines/bars/spas packed than Napa. You can cover the Healdsburg ave downtown end to end in 10 mins (by walk not talking about driving) but have access to plethora of the above.It is a COMPLETE PACkAGE all within 10 mins of walk! Spas are more friendlier and get appoinments fast, Wine tastings are free in most places and bartenders are friendlier and relaxed; some tastings do charge 5 bucks and many places offer even 10 different wine tastings and are inside art galleries, cusine is excellent and this place has variety of restaurants ranging from $5 to $150 per person meal but regardless of the price the quality of all restaurants are amazing, has great boutiques and antique shops but are costly..anyways you can still hang around in these fabulous shops and pass time. If you want to drink wine in a winery you can still drive around the valley or rent a bike but i wont advice to drive around drunk as this place is plagued with cops.That's the whole point about the tons of downtown wineries where you can walk and drink the whole day without worrying about DUI. Russian river is also next to this and you can do canoeing

I read good reviews abour L&M Motel which is why i went there and I now completely agree with the others.Other fancy Inns like madrona manor, healdsburg inns Healdsburg downtown are always busy and run for 300-500$, the question is do you want to pay that much money while you can get into L&M Motel for a fraction of cost.

Proximity: I could walk back from downtown to this place less than 10 mins even after getting drunk :-)) Within 2 mins of walk there are other shops and small restauarant joints,Within 5 mins of walk there are banks.Other places which are in the same price range will be a long drive away and will not be this good for sure !

Exterior and Amenities: All are ground floor rooms.It has a play area with barbeque place. Also has Clean Indoor pool, Jacuzzi, Free Internet,parking right in front of your room and breakfast.

Interior: CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN ..beds,bathrooms,fridge, microwave (in most of the units),TV,chairs,hangars,100% working A/C and Heaters(i had only 30% luck on A/c in other places so i had to stress the word 100% working) .In short all the basic amenities you can think of and room cleaning is outstanding they even ordered my shirts, put jacket in the hangar etc.Having said that dont expect a canopy or a large king size head board in beds as you dont want to pay 300$ extra just for this useless show off in other hotels.This place is way better than the regular motels and BW/Travelodges/American vaue inns.

Owner: This is the best part i liked in the hotel. The owner and their son of this family run motel treated me like their family and they even made vegetarian (yeah i am a vegan) food for me. They are nice to all the guests and most of the guests know them by names.Most of the guests are returning guests in this motel.I did not got intenet signal in my room and they automatically shifted me away to other room without even me asking them.They even help the guests in barbeques from their own kitchen. They certainly did not look money minded to me.I value this a lot because i was a victim of 100 rude hotel desk guys in my life, you want to be in a place where you are valued and personally treated.

Conclusion:This place delivers more than value for money. It is in a niche location, decent stay and great hosts.If you want to accomodate your business partner to strike a 5 million dollars deal then this may not be the place but for all other purposes this is the place.I have seen many upper middle class also in this place(saw Porches) so do not try to think all Motels in USA are meant only for truck drivers.Check out their web site http://www.landmmotel.com/ and trust me the actual place looks better than the pics in the web site.Overall Motel and Healdsburg are very cozy feel good place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Berkeley, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

The culinary capital Healdsburg is a very pricy town, where hotels can easily run into the hundreds of dollars. So the L & M, which cost us $129 plus tax, is a big relief. The L & M is clean, quiet, and dark at night, but definitely basic in terms of furnishings. We had a king room, but there wasn't much in it (or room for anything else) besides the bed. It had a pretty good quality radio, which a lot of cheaper places don't have.

The one real problem with the room was a strong musty smell. We were able to pretty much get rid of it by opening all the windows and even the door for a bit, but it bothered my wife quite a bit. Parking is sort of scattered around the property--it was a bit awkward to back out of our space, but nothing serious. The swimming pool was too cold for my wife to swim in, but we liked the hot tub/jacuzzi.

The owner was very friendly and made an excellent call on where to go for breakfast (Downtown Bakery) which we appreciated. The motel is about a 10 minute walk from the main Healdsburg plaza--at first you have to negotiate some spots where the sidewalk is sketchy, but a real sidewalk soon picks up. It's an interesting walk from working Healdsburg to trendy Healdsburg.

There is no Wine Country chic here of either of the romantic or the modernist variety, but the L & M is a clean, comfortable reasonably priced place to stay in a tough town for that.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Musty room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

Amidst the high prices of the wine country, the L&M was able to save me the price of a couple of bottles of wine. Old school motel, very clean and convenient to town.

• Liked — price low for area... clean
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Tulsa,OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

We got really lucky finding this motel. This motel is owner/operated and the pride they take in their property shows.
Our room was immaculately clean and the bed was very comfortable. They also have and indoor pool and jaccuzi with a dressing area and vending available. For a quiet respite at a reasonable price, this is the place to go.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to L & M Motel? Share your experiences!