“Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Hayward
Vacaville, California
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I was disappointed to see that the microwave they claim you have in your room, is not really the case. They give one out when it is available. Also, I didn't have a refrigerator so they gave me another room where there was one. I had to move. Dark, interrior and door didn't close easily. It did get quiet after 10:00 pm which was good. They ran out of coffee in the morning by the time I got there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Was close to where we wanted to be and the room was ok. TV was small and not a clear picture. NO upgrade was given when asked for for being a "value" member and asked for a late check out and all they could give us was a hour even when the hotel was less than half full. Breakfast was not good at all and we ended up across the street at Mcdonalds.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The hotel advertises online that it is pet friendly. When we arrived and checked in the clerk chased us down the hall to tell us that they would not take pets. She also told us that the manager knew full well that the internet listing was wrong. In essence he continued to falsely advertise just to get you in the door. When I asked for a refund he told the clerk that I would have to deal with the booking company myself. We were left with nowhere to stay and a cell phone. I finally found somewhere but the management of this hotel is flat out unethical.

Place was dirty anyway and we found a nice Quality Inn for less money that was a lot nicer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Santa Cruz, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here with 2 of my girlfriends because we were taking a class up in Hayward. The room was fairly clean, but the staff was not helpful or friendly at all! The included breakfast was decent. Nothing too special. My biggest complaint along with the unfriendly staff, was that the place was so very outdated. I was not pleased with the quality of anything there.The only nice thing is that there's a Target store walking distance acorss the street.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Everywhere
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The staff are rude. The rooms smell. They give you two towels and when you ask the maid for extra she tells you the front desk takes care of that (while on her phone)... But when you ask the front desk they tell you the maid will take care of it. Same thing if you need another roll of toilet paper. I just went and bought my own.

Also - I didn't discover this until my 3rd night but my room had bugs. Small black ones crawling around. They were too small for me to be able to discern what they were. However I did not get bit at all.

I also noticed during my stay that their elevator permit was expired. Hmm.

It was not a pleasant stay and it's 110% safe to say I will not be staying again.

• Stayed October 2013
Great Neck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I think this motel may have had some recent drama with change of management or something. The reviews up until recently were just deplorable! But apparently the new guy in charge is taking things in hand. When I asked if he was the new manager who was improving things, he very cagily asked if I was friends with the old manager. There was some confusion with my reservation as he was not familiar with the booking agency I used. But he's young, friendly and cool, with his black leather jacket and obvious investment in the success of his venture.
While the motel still has some things to work on, it's on its way to being fairly good. Bed and linens were fine, wifi worked, nice TV, no smell of smoke. Criticisms: The walls are thin and there was noise all night; the plug in the sink wouldn't raise up, so the sink barely drained; no conditioner or lotion; The microwave on top of the fridge was nowhere near an outlet that its cord would reach; there were a couple of ants in my bed; and a gross clump of hair hanging from the bedside lamp.
The breakfast is the most pathetic I've seen anywhere. Nothing but a few stale muffins and pastries. Nothing healthy, not even CEREAL. Really?!
The location is great. Literally right around the corner is a Starbucks, and across the street is Target, open till 11 pm. Plenty of other fast food places nearby and a couple of large gyms too. I needed a place fairly convenient to San Jose airport, and for some reason all the motels in the area are crazy expensive. This was the best value I could find, and in morning traffic (8 a.m.) it took about 40 minutes to get to the airport. At a calmer hour it would take about 20-25.
If the manager continues to make improvements and is meticulous about cleaning standards, I expect this place will do better and better.

Room Tip: Only a few rooms have microwaves, so don't count on getting one--but getting there early and bei...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Disclaimer: I have no stake in this place or affiliation with it, but I know a good value when I see one and I believe in giving credit where credit is due. My only reservation in letting the world know what a good deal this place is is that I really should keep it to myself. I've worked for a number of major hotel corporations and know what makes a place a good or not-so-good value. I happened upon this place on a last-minute trip to the Bay Area and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the facility as a whole and by the consistent cleanliness of the rooms. The hotel is managed very professionally by a dedicated young manager who recently transferred in and is hiring other good managers and staff to make the place really shine, implementing upgrade plans and focusing on providing a consistently good experience to the hotel's guests. Sure, you might encounter the occasional leaky faucet or noisy exhaust fan but that's also the case at Hyatt or Hilton or any of the major chains, but you're not going to have to worry about anything unclean or feel unsafe. There's a Starbucks two doors over and a Target across the street. 880's immediately at hand. This is a winner!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Hayward? Share your experiences!