“Decently priced, but I would try to scrounge for more pennies next time” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn Hayward

You added Americas Best Value Inn Hayward to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn Hayward
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2460 Whipple Road, Hayward, CA 94544   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Hayward
Santa Cruz, California
“Decently priced, but I would try to scrounge for more pennies next time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here with 2 of my girlfriends because we were taking a class up in Hayward. The room was fairly clean, but the staff was not helpful or friendly at all! The included breakfast was decent. Nothing too special. My biggest complaint along with the unfriendly staff, was that the place was so very outdated. I was not pleased with the quality of anything there.The only nice thing is that there's a Target store walking distance acorss the street.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Everywhere
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The staff are rude. The rooms smell. They give you two towels and when you ask the maid for extra she tells you the front desk takes care of that (while on her phone)... But when you ask the front desk they tell you the maid will take care of it. Same thing if you need another roll of toilet paper. I just went and bought my own.

Also - I didn't discover this until my 3rd night but my room had bugs. Small black ones crawling around. They were too small for me to be able to discern what they were. However I did not get bit at all.

I also noticed during my stay that their elevator permit was expired. Hmm.

It was not a pleasant stay and it's 110% safe to say I will not be staying again.

• Stayed October 2013
Great Neck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I think this motel may have had some recent drama with change of management or something. The reviews up until recently were just deplorable! But apparently the new guy in charge is taking things in hand. When I asked if he was the new manager who was improving things, he very cagily asked if I was friends with the old manager. There was some confusion with my reservation as he was not familiar with the booking agency I used. But he's young, friendly and cool, with his black leather jacket and obvious investment in the success of his venture.
While the motel still has some things to work on, it's on its way to being fairly good. Bed and linens were fine, wifi worked, nice TV, no smell of smoke. Criticisms: The walls are thin and there was noise all night; the plug in the sink wouldn't raise up, so the sink barely drained; no conditioner or lotion; The microwave on top of the fridge was nowhere near an outlet that its cord would reach; there were a couple of ants in my bed; and a gross clump of hair hanging from the bedside lamp.
The breakfast is the most pathetic I've seen anywhere. Nothing but a few stale muffins and pastries. Nothing healthy, not even CEREAL. Really?!
The location is great. Literally right around the corner is a Starbucks, and across the street is Target, open till 11 pm. Plenty of other fast food places nearby and a couple of large gyms too. I needed a place fairly convenient to San Jose airport, and for some reason all the motels in the area are crazy expensive. This was the best value I could find, and in morning traffic (8 a.m.) it took about 40 minutes to get to the airport. At a calmer hour it would take about 20-25.
If the manager continues to make improvements and is meticulous about cleaning standards, I expect this place will do better and better.

Room Tip: Only a few rooms have microwaves, so don't count on getting one--but getting there early and bei...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Disclaimer: I have no stake in this place or affiliation with it, but I know a good value when I see one and I believe in giving credit where credit is due. My only reservation in letting the world know what a good deal this place is is that I really should keep it to myself. I've worked for a number of major hotel corporations and know what makes a place a good or not-so-good value. I happened upon this place on a last-minute trip to the Bay Area and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the facility as a whole and by the consistent cleanliness of the rooms. The hotel is managed very professionally by a dedicated young manager who recently transferred in and is hiring other good managers and staff to make the place really shine, implementing upgrade plans and focusing on providing a consistently good experience to the hotel's guests. Sure, you might encounter the occasional leaky faucet or noisy exhaust fan but that's also the case at Hyatt or Hilton or any of the major chains, but you're not going to have to worry about anything unclean or feel unsafe. There's a Starbucks two doors over and a Target across the street. 880's immediately at hand. This is a winner!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
oakland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I don't know WHERE the management comes from but the Indian front desk is rude. The hispanic lady with him was very rude as well. I have been here a couple times recently and the customer service is horrible. The front desk attendants are LAZY and they don't pick up the phone! I called several times for new bed sheets because the sheets were stained. There use to be an asian girl at the front desk who was exceptional. WHAT happened to her?! The front desk attendants now seem like they don't know how to do the job. The sad part is I have to continue coming here because it's near a worksite Im temporarily working on. I can't believe they're ice machine is ALWAYS not working or under construction. Also, the hallways smell like old cigarette smell. This place needs better staff and better management as well as repairs! it needs to be renovated!

Room Tip: do yourself a favor, you can't win here, find another hotel, all the reviews are true!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Here is the complaint I sent to America's Best Value regarding my stay at this disgusting hotel:

I thought about whether to even bother sending a complaint. I realize nothing is generally done. Perhaps I feel for other travelers who may be staying here and hold out hope you will fix the many issues at this hotel. It has a lot of potential to be a great hotel. So, I elected to take the time to do so anyway.

I don't stay at a lot of hotels throughout the year. I am extremely easy to impress and I can count on my hand the number of times I have stayed at a hotel that cost more than $100.00. When I stay at a hotel, I just need a bed and a shower and that's it. All I ask for is a clean room and a bed that appears clean so that I'm not wide awake all night wondering whether it is or not.

I have to be frank. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life.

After parking my car, I was greeted by the front entrance to what appeared to be random construction material on the patio. Also, I was surprised to see many of the windows on different floors were open even though each appeared to have an air conditioning unit. Either the units did not work or I assume people kept them open to smoke.

It seems a lot of folks who stay here are either living here or are day laborers. The front lobby had a broken and empty food dispensing machine and the clerk had a bullet proof glass window (granted, I can't blame you guys for taking these precautions given the neighborhood, but I certainly didn't feel safe here). Perhaps an armed guard on property would be of great help. Maybe I slept with a firearm by my bed for safety and maybe I didn't...

At check-in, the clerk was polite and friendly, and as soon as I handed my credit card over for deposit, the fire alarm went off. The clerk admitted she did not know what to do and told me I could go to my room if I wanted and immediately left me standing there, taking the elevator to one of the upper levels.

I elected not to, as you should during a fire alarm. She eventually re-appeared along with a few other guests (most I assume did not appear). A lady who appeared in charge and the manager finally popped out of a 1st floor room and proceeded to argue with the clerk about her incompetence and said she was trying to sleep.

After the alarm was shut off, I proceeded to my room. The keycard took several tries. Approximately a dozen or more to my great frustration before finally working. Every time I tried to enter the room again, it was teh same issue. With this rough start, I proceeded to check the room for any issues and found plenty.

1. The deadbolt did not work and would not lock. Additional reason I felt unsafe, even for being a Marine Vet, 230 lb guy.

2. The desk lamp would turn on and off every few minutes and eventually stayed off all together for the rest of my stay.

3. Very noisy. People would slam doors and I could hear TV's and arguments in different rooms. Granted, it appears to be an older building and I can't really blame you guys for this one. None the less, it was annoying.

4. My bed had a rogue spring sticking out of it when I went to sit down and take off my shoes. It poked me and it hurt, but I was fortunate that it did not draw any blood. Either way, you can see my concern.

5. The room smelled like smoke. Heavily. I assumed this was a non-smoking hotel room? Was I wrong?

6. The glass window had a long crack in it. It was "repaired" with Scotch Tape!

7. Stains EVERYWHERE! On the bed, on chairs, on lamp shades, on the sink area, towel racks had very obvious signs of rust, bathtub had black grime in the corners.

8. Window curtains would not close all the way. One was missing the handle on it.

9. Mattress was fairly comfortable, but obviously well worn. Sheets and wool blanket were rough. I slept in my clothes and used my hoodie as an extra pillow case. I genuinely felt like I had to take a shower immediately after getting out of bed.

You would think I am exaggerating here. I AM NOT. I am more than willing to skip the luxury bar of soap, extra pillows, flat screen TV, iPhone clock and other needless services to save money and achieve value during my hotel stays. I understand the hotel was inexpensive and I was not expecting a Holiday Inn Express here. But this is your companies name on this hotel. Do you not have any pride in that??? There has to be a minimum quality set by your company and it's officers and unless i'm mistaking your values, it's a massive miss. I would highly recommend you send an undercover agent from within your company to see for him/herself or make an unannounced visit. You need quality control here. Damage Control.

As far as I'm concerned, I am done. I have experienced an America's Best Value hotel and will avoid them in the future.

Room Tip: Just DO NOT stay here.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This hotel is old, smelly, and in serious need of a makeover. The hotel is near a autobody shop. The sink is located outside of the bathroom and the toilet is low to the ground. I'm 6ft tall and it was a very awkward to be that low. The shower, even though turned off continued to have running water. The shower itself shown signs of wear and tear. The beds amazingly were comfortable but because of the room and the environment made it had for me to sleep through the night. While up during the night I noticed the door shown through the doorway. Overall, this was a one nighter and that's it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Hayward? Share your experiences!