“The best Burgers in Hayward” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Oakhurst, California
“The best Burgers in Hayward”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I had been going to Val's regularly for many, many years and then I moved out of the area. Every time that I need to go to Hayward which is about a 3 hour drive I always stop here to eat. On April 30th I had to go to a 50th Anniversary Event and afterward decided to go their to lunch. I had my brother meet me there also. I was surprised he never had known about this place before and he just loved it. Said he was going to bring the rest of the family. The Burgers are great. In fact everything I have tried over the year is good. They give big portions! You can get a Baby, Mama or Papa Burgers. The Baby is still big. I believe 1/2 pound. You will have to wait to be seated as the place is very small. I would try to eat after the noon rush. It is closed on Mondays and the only thing I noticed that was new this time is you have to pay in "Cash" only. They do not take any credit cards at all. Service is good. We had 3 different people checking up on us for refills, etc.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Lorenzo, California
“The same since I was a kid.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I've been eating at Val's since the early 1970's. Everything is still just as good as it was then, and you can't say that about too many places.

I remember the first time I watched them making milkshakes. The guy filled the cup with ice cream, squirted a little milk, then hit the blender. Then, more ice cream, a splash of milk, and more blender. Then more ice cream, milk, etc... Basically it was 99% ice cream with just a little milk for lubrication, lol.

In all the times I've been there, I have never had a bad meal. And I've been stuffed every single time. :)

The only caveat is parking. The lot is ALWAYS full, and not easy for large vehicles to negotiate. Bring as few cars as possible and save your sanity.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Diner for the Hungry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Vals is a great place for a throw back in time, and it's not a good place for a diet. One can enjoy a nice big breakfast or a simple burger and fries. The people there are wonderful. Get ready for a wait at peak times, but the nice casual tasty dining experience is worth it.

Oh yes, Bring CASH... no cards are accepted.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hayward, California
“Vals an excellent choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

The burgers and the steaks are the best I have eaten. My daughters say "the shakes are unbeatable" service is polite and sober.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Burgers and shakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

They have the best hamburgers and milkshakes anywhere! When we travel we always make Val's our first stop when we get home. Old time diner feel with great food.

Visited April 2014