“How much fun!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
berkeley,california
“How much fun!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Going to Val's Burgers is like taking a time machine back to the 50's and 60's. The wood paneling, booths, hand painted wall menus are the real things, not someone's design concept. The place is full of multi-generational families, regulars and newbies like us! We could tell when we walked in that we were in for a treat and we were not disappointed. The juicy, delicious mama burger, cooked to order, was huge...much bigger than the bun it was on. There are bowls of pickles, relish and onions on every table. I would definitely recommend ordering the grilled onions (one order is enough for 2) and the tomato slice. I actually took a quarter of my burger home. We ordered the chocolate milkshake (also more than enough for 2) specifying that we wanted it made with chocolate ice cream. I haven't had one like that since Edy's back in the day. Tasty and fun, we will be back!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Castro Valley, California, United States
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Always busy, but food and shakes are great and well wotth the wait. The owners are great people and this is wonderful family place to eat.

Visited July 2012
Albany, New York
“Great burgers in the East Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

2 adults and 2 teens visited Val's for dinner with friends. We've sampled quite a few hamburger joints in our travels and can still confidently say that Val's is at the top of the list. While some chains (e.g., In-N-Out, Five Guys) serve a pretty good spread, there is nothing quite like the product of a one store diner that focuses on excellence. While we always get burgers, traditional diner fare is also available. The milkshakes are excellent and enough for two!

One caveat - they only take cash. Go to the ATM before you come....it is worth it!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pine Grove, California, United States
“Val's Burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

You have visit Val's if in the Hayward area! Great burgers, fries, and other tasty vittles. Been around for ages and has never changed it's quality!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“OK place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I know, everyone in the area loves this place but the last few times I went I did not enjoy the taste of the meat. I am really fussy about my hamburgers and I don't like a lot of stuff on them - so if they are off I notice it right away. Perhaps it was just then and its better now... ya never know.