“High prices, tiny portions” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bijou Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 269 Restaurants in Hayward
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Foothill
Transit: The Hayward BART station is located just a few blocks away.
Description: Bijou Restaurant & Bar, will provide the East Bay with a chic new dining option. Bijou will showcase contemporary French/California cuisine, offered at reasonable prices. Bijou’s main dining room seats 80 guests, with space for 30 in the lounge and bar and 32 on the outdoor patio. Prepared by Executive Chef Christian Nam-Hee using seasonal, fresh, often locally sourced, organic ingredients. Chef Nam-Hee, a native of France, graduated from the Ecole de Paris des Metiers de la Table in Paris. His career includes time at a number of elite French restaurants such as Le Grenadin (under 2-star Michelin Chef Patrick Cirotte), La Chaumiere and Le Bienvenue. Bijou's bar specializes in creative mixology that bridges the gap between the kitchen and the bar. Taking fresh, seasonal produce and locally distilled, artisan spirits and creating amazing cocktails.
Pensacola, Florida
“High prices, tiny portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I visited Bijou Restaurant and Bar to redeem a Living Social deal: $39 for a prixe-fixe dinner for 2. It included 2 glasses of champagne, 2 appetizers, 2 entrees and 2 desserts. I figured it would be a good deal and looked forward to our evening. We did enjoy ourselves, but overall the price we should have paid for that meal was way too pricey compared to what we received.

The beef carpaccio was good, but the ahi tuna tartare was a little heavy on the onions and light on the tuna. The champagne was just okay, probably of the mediocre variety. According to Bijou's menu online when I purchased the Living Social deal and right before we visited, the entree choices included beef bourguignon and pan seared scallops. Neither of these were on the menu. Instead, we had to choose from pasta, some vegetarian option, pan roasted chicken and pan seared cod. We went with the chicken and cod since those were 2 of the more appealing choices, but they were a far cry from what we were expecting after seeing the menu online. The dessert menu was also very limited, so I chose creme brulee and my husband got the crepes to go for me to eat later. The creme brulee was good, but nothing better than I've had before. Upon closer inspection of the "crepes" (plural), we noticed we had just 1 crepe with a couple slices of banana and a tiny smear of Nutella.

The bill for that dining experience came to $105 before tax and tip (and coupon). Yes, it was a decent meal, but it was not what we were expecting, and it certainly wasn't worth $105. It might have been worth the $39 we paid, but that's about it. We were very disappointed that a restaurant would use a coupon to lure people in and then, rather than dazzle the customers with what they have to offer in the hopes that customers will return, they instead corral you into less than stellar choices, which makes you never want to return.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Vista Alegre
“Basil Vodka Martini...Unusual cocktail menu and good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

As others I had a Groupon coupon for Fix Prix and treated a friend. We ate at the bar as that was where we could have Happy Hour drinks, not at tables. Barkeep was very good, I think his name was Antonio he also served our meals. I'm a basil addict so loved the martini. My carparcio appetizer and Creme Brulee were very good. I know my entree was also good, but at my age remembering details sometimes escapes me. The decor is chic and I was surprised to find such a refined restaurant in Hayward. I lived in the Bay Area 8 years ago before moving out of the country. Bijou's menu had many items I would like to have returned to try. Maybe next trip.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Berkeley
“Surprise in Hayward”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Who would think there would be a good ?French /restaurant in Hayward? But Bijou is a big pleasant surprise. . It is located on the main street in Hayward which is obviously trying to make a come back.?The restaurant was inviting from the outside as well as inside./even though we had a Prix Fixe coupon the available menu was more than adequate.The quality of the food was really excellent as well as the service. The restaurant was a little noisy for us geezers but then again a bistro is supposed to be noisy.We would definitely go again and tell our friends about it

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Klamath Falls, Oregon
“Great taste, Tiny Portions, OK atmosphere and value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I guess I should have come to this place with a coupon. The dinner I was served was very flavorful, but the portions were tiny considering the prices they charge here. I left the place still hungry, which is very uncommon for me because am normally a very light eater. The entire place is also extremely noisy if you come here when there's a game on the TVs in the Bar Section.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
California
“Good Place if you have a coupon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I am giving this restaurant 4 stars because I had a Groupon Coupon which brought the price of the meal down over 50% off list price. Without the coupon, if you consider price and value, I would have given this restaurant 3 stars. My coupon allowed us to have two 3 course meal. I found the selection of appetizers very large and rather creative. I had raw beef which was very tasty, my companion Tabuli salad. Desert selection was limited but very high quality. I had a homemade ice cream sandwich, I'd say it was excellent. I was less impressed by the 4 selections available (part of the 3 course meal) I had for entrees: beef, chicken, salmon, and seafood pasta. My beef dish was just okay, a little salty. My companion's salmon was slightly under cooked. The server was pushing the roast chicken, maybe I should have gone for that but its not something I get when I go to a French restaurant.

Restaurant is located in revitalized downtown Hayward and there is a cinema theater nearby if you are looking for something to do before or after the meal. Decor was nice. Service at the restaurant was excellent, the waiter was attentive and my water glass was always refilled. We went on a weened and found the restaurant full when we left, so reservations are recommended. For the price I paid, I had no complaints but if I had to pay the list price of $105 dollars for two, I would not be too happy.

• Visited May 2013