“Bad experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Hawthorne
Rhode Island
“Bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here for a week in Jan 2013 and it was a bad experience. The front office guy is not pleasant at all. He doesnt care about the welfare of the tenants. The housekeeping staff is shoddy and cannot do their job properly. For the amount they charge and considering its now owned by marriott..it was a bad experience. In comparison the Hilton property (homewood suites) they are amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
laxhw, Manager at TownePlace Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at the TownePlace Suites. We have shared your feedback with the Management and Staff of the Front Desk and Housekeeping Departments as a training opportunity, so immediate improvements can be made to avoid future inconvenience. I only wish we could have resolved your issues while you were still a guest in the hotel. We take all feedback very seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our management staff if we can be of any assistance in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel back in 2008 and it was NOT fun then. Supposedly, they remodeled and improved this hotel (including their staff!) since then so, when our house flooded and we needed a place to stay, I thought I'd give them a 2nd chance. I figured that many of their problems would have been addressed, since they'd had so many negative reviews over the years. And, they're a Marriott, so they should have made improvements, right?

They proved me wrong!

The room wasn't as bad as before. At least the noise wasn't a problem, in general.

BUT, there is still no one at this hotel who can properly enter debits and credits - no, wait, it's actually simpler than that - it's only addition and subtraction; basic math! We were there a little more than 3 weeks and I lost track of how many times I had to correct their errors. I even had to spend an hour on the phone with Marriott's corporate office, and THEY couldn't even get the Ops Mgr to comprehend how to correct her errors! After multiple calls and emails to Marriott corporate and the hotel's general manager, they FINALLY got the account straightened out, 2 days before we left. But then, when we checked out, ANOTHER error. Thankfully, my credit card company was on alert, and fixed the hotel's error.

There were ants in the bathroom and kitchen and, despite several requests to have this addressed, they did NOTHING. The internet is painfully slow. Every time the train goes by the hotel, the satellite tv cuts out. But, that only happens about 30 times a day!

Be aware, too, that they DO not have proper housekeeping that you'd expect from any decent hotel. They only empty the trash and exchange towels. They claim that they have "full housekeeping" once a week, but the entire time we were there - more than 3 weeks - they NEVER actually cleaned the room. I had to ask for clean sheets and change the beds myself, several times. Many days, housekeeping didn't even show up for the trash/towel "refresh". I complained about this over and over again, and it still didn't happen. With all the other trouble at this hotel, I figured I had to pick my battles!

The front desk clerks are very nice and friendly. So, I guess they did make SOME changes.

Despite the changes and improvements, the bad still outweighs the good far too much to give them another chance. In fact, it was so bad that, with 2 weeks left until our house is finished, we moved to a different hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - find another long term stay hotel. You'll thank me later! :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
laxhw, Manager at TownePlace Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

We have reviewed the reservation history on your account and show that different methods of payment from gift cards, cash and multiple different credit cards were used during the course of your stay. In addition, your reservation was initially booked for 2 nights and then the length of stay was extended on multiple different occasions for additional nights. Many of these extensions to the reservation were made at the Front Desk when the room was discovered still occupied after check-out time on the scheduled day of departure. When this happens, our system is automatically required to obtain additional authorization on the method of payment on file to ensure the hotel has enough funds to cover the additional nights. Again, we apologize for the confusion and we are glad to hear that the issue with your billing was finally resolved.

To address your other concerns, we did make several attempts to come provide housekeeping full cleaning services and treat the room for ants as you requested, however, in each circumstance there was always a guest in the room that denied us access to enter the room. We regret that we were unable to address your concerns while you were still a guest in the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I try the townplace for my bday normally I go to the embassy suites lax there family friendly have a complimentary happy hour indoor pool and jacuzzi and complimentary cook to order breakfast so whe arrived her I see the pool outside and its raining no jacuzzi . Rom was cozy andnino'clok I get aphone call saying this is my first warning to quite down my neighbors was complaining, like the room was for free ,the walls or paper thin so now were tip toeing in the room a hour later I get a knock on the door asking us to please keep it down people or complaining so my night was ruined. Pack up all my things to get ready for the morning eat breakfast and I'm out get downstairs and all there serving is cereal bagels and toast serve by me lol never aging embassy hear I come.

• Stayed November 2012
laxhw, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your business and review of your experience at the TownePlace Suites. We regret that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. It’s unfortunate that you were unable to enjoy your stay on your birthday. It’s important that we provide a comfortable relaxing atmosphere for the enjoyment for all our guests. For this reason, we have a responsibility to address any noise issues that may be disturbing to other guests of the hotel. I apologize if this kept you from enjoying your stay.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed one night in this awful place. I am in LA on a two week business trip and thought I was getting a great deal at $129 / night for a one-bedroom suite. Full kitchen, close to the airport, not too far from downtown. Good stores really close like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, some decent shopping malls. Not looking for luxury, just functional and clean.

Don't stay here! I read some previous reviews and thought how bad can it be? Well the carpets were filthy both inside the room and in the common areas. I mean dirt caked into the carpets filthy. I was afraid to remove my shoes in my room.

The fridge, which I was taller than, had a layer of grease and dust that showed it has not been cleaned in a very long time. The computer desk had dirt on it! I wiped it and the cloth came away dirty. The clothes dresser had some kind of food crumbs inside the top drawer. The wood that the lock on the room door is screwed into was cracked and one good push and anyone would be able to force their way into the room.

The kitchen and bathroom floors were sticky. I had to ask the housekeeping service to come and clean them when I got there - and the maid sprayed windex on the floor and used her foot to wipe it up. The furniture in the room was also very old and very worn - cracks and worn spots on the lounge chair, and the sofa was just plain dirty.

When I checked in I told the guy at the desk that I wanted a room that was not close to the elevator, as the noise bothers me. When I stepped off the elevator the room he put me in was the first room about 5 feet away from the elevator. I went back down and asked for another room. He was nice about giving me another room. The next morning I went down to put my passport in the safety deposit box and they still had me in the original room in their system!

I have to say, I'm usually pretty oblivious to dirt, and generally a little bit of mess doesn't bother me. But it was so obvious in so many areas. And the decor left much to be desired, although generally I don't even notice that.

One plus - when I asked the girl what the penalty was for checking out early, she said she had to up my one night room rate to the regular $159 but she was waiving the extra night fee penalty. Obviously they must get people complaining fairly frequently.

Go stay at the Candlewood Suites in Hawthorne - MUCH better value - only $85 a night for a studio and it's been clean and great so far.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
laxhw, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. I apologize that we were not able to resolve your issues while you were still a guest at the hotel. As a result of your comments regarding the carpeting, we are reviewing our current agreement with our outside vendor for quality of work and frequency of professional carpet cleaning services at the hotel. Adjustments will be made to our existing service to ensure these areas are addressed. In addition, we recently replaced the carpet in some of our higher traffic areas like the breakfast room and front desk to improve the overall appearance of these public spaces. Finally, we have shared your comments with the Engineering and Housekeeping staffs to ensure that the items in your room are corrected immediately. Thank you again for sharing your experience.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The carpets in the hallway need serious cleaning. There is no full mirror in the rooms.
The room is otherwise ok. Location is good. Free parking is also good. The staff is friendly. The housekeeping was good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
laxhw, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of you experience. We were happy to hear that the staff was friendly during your stay and that you were satisfied with the housekeeping services along with the features of the hotel. We have provided your feedback to our outside carpet cleaning vendor and they took immediate action to address the cleanliness issue in the hallways. Thank you again for sharing your experience and giving us the opportunity to make improvements. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you as a guest of the property again on your next visit.
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

As a family of 5 (with 3 teenagers!) visiting the LA area, options for our requirement of a reasonably priced 2 bed suite were actually quite limited but we weren't disappointed in the TownePlace Suites.

Very close to the highway and just a few minutes drive to LAX and Manhattan Beach make for a great location. Right across the street, about a 5 min walk you will find a few shops including a Trader Joe's and a fabulous Mexican take-away that is so cheap.

Check in was a bit more complex as this was the only hotel of our self drive tour that wanted a sizeable holding deposit before check in. We weren't prepared and didn't have the cash on us but we worked it out in the end. Just be prepared for that.

Swimming pool was small but our two teenage boys say it was ok. The foyer shop held a variety of items but was overpriced - for the 5 minute walk I would suggest Trader Joe's. Can't comment on the free breakfast as we took it in our suite - Lucky Charms!.

Rooms were perfectly fine and clean although I do agree with a previous poster, carpets could do with a bit of a freshen up. Bathroom lovely, both bedrooms had very comfortable large double beds. Sofa bed decent and a rollaway no problem at all. Kitchen had everything you would possibly need. Laundry room was fantastic! Reasonably priced and fantastic fast dryers meant I was able to do two loads of laundry in our two day visit with the minimum of time/hassle.

Would stay here again if in the area and with our family. For the two of us we would probably try somewhere else closer to the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chattanooga, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at this property for one night while in California attending a conference. I only stayed one night and I spent half of the night outside of my hotel room ... on purpose. The hotel was easy to find as it is less than 1 mile off the main strip near LAX (Sepulveda, sp?). So, that means you can easily drive to various restaurants, fast food joints, gas stations, and shopping (Target, Walgreen's, World Market, Best Buy). I would say that you can find everything within a 5-10 mile radius. As a bonus you will also find an In-N-Out burger less than 10-12 miles down the road :). When I checked in the "lobby" area is very small and cramped and was full of kids. The hallway was very tight and unimpressive. It appeared clean, but you could tell that the hotel was worn out and showing signs of wear and tear. The front desk attendant was friendly, but she didn't have much to say about the neighborhood or anything related to the area. I asked if there was a local coffee shop (I love Peet's) and she had no idea. I had to find one on my own and it was less than 15 miles away. Oh well.

The room appeared clean and it had everything that a family or someone who needs an extended stay hotel needs - refrigerator, counter, small stove (with burners and an oven) and cabinets. So, if you have a family and/or kids and are looking for an extended stay hotel I think it would work just fine. The bed was not comfy. Period. The chair was ratty (meaning that the fabric was torn and the arms were ripped). That does not make you feel good as a guest. The bed was made and the sheets appeared clean. The same for the shower.

I would just say that it was a basic hotel, no frills. The hotel is in a remote area near the rail line so I don't think you can walk to much. However, there is a Barnes & Noble and a few other restaurants in a complex within 1 mile of the hotel, but the intersection is such that you might not want to walk.

So, overall I would say practical, but I expected a little more because the prior hotel where I stayed for 3 nights was more polished and in a residential neighborhood that made me feel safe as a female traveler.

Room Tip: Best for families and extended stays where you need things such as a refrigerator, stove, etc.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to TownePlace Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach? Share your experiences!